    messages that are cross posted? If so, will this block them from all
    newsgroups that I subscribe to, or would I have to do it for each group?
    Thanks for any replies.
    Freddie, Jan 2, 2008

  2. Freddie

    VanguardLH Guest

    "Freddie" <> wrote in message
    news:MFSej.26404$...
    >I use Outlook Express 6, is it possible to set a filter that will
    >block any messages that are cross posted? If so, will this block them
    >from all newsgroups that I subscribe to, or would I have to do it for
    >each group?
    > Thanks for any replies.

    Cross-posting would be exhibited in the Newsgroups or Xref header.
    The Newsgroups headers lists to where the poster sent all copies of
    their post. The Xref header might have the same number of newsgroups
    or it might have less. Xref might be less newsgroups listed because
    that NNTP server doesn't carry all the newsgroups listed in the
    Newsgroups header. There are 2 problems:

    - The NSP (newsgroups service provider) probably will not return the
    Newsgroups or Xref headers when your NNTP client polls for new
    messages (which only retrieves the headers of those posts). By
    telnetting into the NNTP server and issuing "list overview.fmt", you
    can see what headers the NSP will return when your NNTP client polls
    for messages. That means the headers won't be supplied to let you
    test on them when you poll for new posts when compiling a list of
    them. They will the there when you download the post but then you're
    still stuck wasting bandwidth and time to get the post and then
    handling it.

    - OE does not let you test for string values in the Newsgroups and/or
    Xref header. So even if the NSP supplied those headers, you can't
    test on them when using OE.

    Some users migrate to other NNTP clients that have better filtering
    capability. Until I trial the others again, I am using Newsproxy (aka
    nFilter), a long-dead NNTP filtering proxy, to identify excessive
    cross-posters, Google Groupers, and other type of posts. It uses an
    nfilter.dat file and mine has:

    # NewsProxy will stop on the first filter that matches.
    # So list filter in order from highest to lowest priority.
    #
    # Drop posts from bad newsgroup providers:
    # newsdemon.com hides behind GoDaddy's Domains By Proxy.
    * drop Path:*.newsdemon.com*
    #
    # Check if the poster tried to hide:
    * drop Path:*mail2news*
    #
    # Drop excessive cross-posts (more than 3 groups):
    * drop Xref:*:*:*:*
    * drop Newsgroups:*,*,*,*
    #
    # Identify posts from Google Groups users that also use the
    FollowUp-To header:
    * aflag:[GG+FU] Message-ID:*.googlegroups.com* FollowUp-To:*
    #
    # Identify posts from Microsoft CDO users that also use the
    FollowUp-To header:
    * aflag:[MS+FU] Message-ID:*@microsoft.com* FollowUp-To:*
    #
    # Indicate if the poster used the FollowUp-To header
    # (which could have replies go to a different group):
    * aflag:[FU] FollowUp-To:*
    #
    # Identify posts from Google Groups users:
    * aflag:[GG] Message-ID:*.googlegroups.com*
    #
    # Identify posts from Microsoft CDO users:
    * aflag:[MS] Message-ID:*@microsoft.com*

    In OE, I have rules that trigger on the flags, like colorizing posts
    for Google Groupers based on the "[GG]" flag in the author (From)
    field. Newsproxy stops on the first rule that gets triggered and why
    I have some that test on multiple header values. So, for example, if
    the poster used FollowUp-To then I wouldn't know if they were a Google
    Grouper unless I tested for both headers in the same filter. My
    excessive cross-post filter is looking for the 4th delimiter since it
    would only be there to delineate the 4th, or more, newsgroups from the
    preceding ones. I'm not interested in a poster that shotguns their
    message to any newsgroup they think is related to the others.
    Shotgunning is a lazy amateurs way of trying to capture a larger
    audience without knowing (and without bothering to investigate) which
    are the most appropriate newsgroups for their post. I'm not
    interested in reading or responding to unfocused "splatter".
    Basically I use Newsproxy to add tags on which OE can test because OE
    cannot test on the headers of interest.

    This kind of filtering is best performed at the NNTP server but I'm
    not particularly interested in running my own personal NNTP server,
    like hamster. I know some folks that run their own NNTP server that
    syncs with their ISP's NNTP server (I think it's called leeching).
    This lets them employ better filtering rules within their own local
    and accessible NNTP server. They then connect their NNTP client, like
    OE or Thunderbird, to their local NNTP server that has already
    pre-filtered out the crap posts. Synchronizing my local NNTP server
    to my ISP's NNTP server would quickly consume all my monthly quota to
    retrieve all the posts to then exercise filtering rules against them.
    So eventually I might choose a different NNTP client than OE when I
    get around to trialing them again (last time each has bugs or were
    overly crippled that I came back to OE and suffered).
    VanguardLH, Jan 2, 2008

  3. Freddie

    Freddie Guest

    Many thanks for the prompt reply, but I'm afraid that went completely over
    my head, I thought there may have been a simple solution.

    Freddie, Jan 2, 2008
  4. Freddie

    G. Morgan Guest

    Freddie wrote:

    >Many thanks for the prompt reply, but I'm afraid that went completely over
    >my head, I thought there may have been a simple solution.

    It is simple.

    Download Newsproxy
    http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/ftp/Programs/nps-124.zip

    Install Newsproxy in c:\newsproxy

    Create a shortcut of newsproxy.exe to your startup folder

    Launch newsproxy.exe

    Put this in nfilter.dat: (edit -> filters)
    # Drop excessive cross-posts (more than 3 groups):
    * drop Xref:*:*:*:*

    Put your news server info in (Edit -> configuration -> network)
    news.ntlworld????

    OK.. Close Newsproxy

    In MSOLE change your news server from NTL to localhost

    restart newsproxy..

    that's it
    G. Morgan, Jan 2, 2008
  5. Freddie

    Plato Guest

    Freddie wrote:

    > I use Outlook Express 6, is it possible to set a filter that will block any
    > messages that are cross posted? If so, will this block them from all
    > newsgroups that I subscribe to, or would I have to do it for each group?

    No.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Jan 3, 2008