    Then we plugged a cross cable from us and it worked.

    Any explanation about that ? Why does Cisco give cable that don't work, or
    what do I miss ?

    tibo, Mar 16, 2005

  2. tibo

    Scooby Guest

    "tibo" <> wrote in message
    news:4238879e$0$4621$...
    > Hello !
    >
    > Yesterday, installed a PIX for first time. Plugged the yellow cable on the
    > outside port and connected to the Cisco router but that didn't work. The
    > cable is straight.
    >
    > Then we plugged a cross cable from us and it worked.
    >
    > Any explanation about that ? Why does Cisco give cable that don't work, or
    > what do I miss ?

    Really the right thing would be to send either both, or neither. Most people
    already have standard cables. Cisco can't predict if you are going to plug
    the pix into a switch or a router. So, they just send a regular cable - or
    so I'm guessing taht is their thinking, anyway. If you can't use it for
    this, and need a cross over, well, you have a cable you can use for
    something else. Not sure if they still do, but the netgear home firewall
    routers used to always come with both cables.

    Hope that helps,

    Jim

    Scooby, Mar 16, 2005

  3. In article <806ca$4238889e$a22770bd$>,
    Scooby <> wrote:
    >"tibo" <> wrote in message
    >> Hello !
    >>
    >> Yesterday, installed a PIX for first time. Plugged the yellow cable on the
    >> outside port and connected to the Cisco router but that didn't work. The
    >> cable is straight.
    >>
    >> Then we plugged a cross cable from us and it worked.
    >>
    >> Any explanation about that ? Why does Cisco give cable that don't work, or
    >> what do I miss ?
    >>

    >Really the right thing would be to send either both, or neither. Most people
    >already have standard cables. Cisco can't predict if you are going to plug
    >the pix into a switch or a router. So, they just send a regular cable - or
    >so I'm guessing taht is their thinking, anyway. If you can't use it for
    >this, and need a cross over, well, you have a cable you can use for
    >something else. Not sure if they still do, but the netgear home firewall
    >routers used to always come with both cables.
    >
    >Hope that helps,
    >
    >Jim

    So do PIX 501's, or at least the 250 some-odd that I unpacked a
    few months ago did. Each came with a yellow straight through cable
    and an orange crossover cable (and a blue console cable). We were
    not shorted any cables, as I recall, although a few of the PIXes
    arrived without all the licenses listed on the label! Bigger PIXes
    only come with straight cables because the assumption is you are
    going to plug every port into its own hub/switch and a crossover
    cable would only get in the way.

    As always, YMMV.
    http://www.networkingunlimited.com

    Vincent C Jones, Mar 17, 2005
  4. tibo

    Guest

    Quite a lot of kit now seems to do auto fixup
    of MDI MDI-X.

    I guess that the pix does not?

    3750 for example has a config item

    !
    interface GigabitEthernet1/0/1
    no ip address
    no mdix auto ! <-----
    !
    which suggests that they do it.

    I think that 837s do on 4 Inside ports.

    Lets try it:- Plug port 1 to port 4 using straight thru' cable
    on an 837 and the link lights come up.
    No STP? OOPS. Well it wasn't connected to anything else.

    I have seen other manufacturers equipment that does this too.

    , Mar 19, 2005