    In Photoshop Elements, is it possible to crop a picture and save it
    without resampling the image? Are there other programs that do this?

    Thanks.

    Major Blunts, Aug 6, 2003

  2. Major Blunts

    Mick Ruthven Guest

    Cropping and resampling are two different things. I user Photoshop, not
    Elements, but it probably works the same or similar in Elements. There is a
    Cropping tool for cropping and it does not resample. Resampling is done via
    Image / Image Size (check Resample Image).

    Mick Ruthven, Aug 6, 2003

  3. Major Blunts

    Zol. Guest

    You can manually select the area you want with the `designate area` tool and
    select crop in the menus or you can use the crop tool which will as pointed
    out resample slightly - use the rulers or grid if you want a particular size
    with the designated area method ... Zol.

    Zol., Aug 6, 2003
  4. Major Blunts

    Allegro Guest

    By default, the crop tool will NOT resample your image, unless you place
    a value in the Resolution field under its Properties so you can safely
    use this. You can also use the Rectangular Marquee tool and then select
    Image|Crop from the top menu, which also doesn't resample your image.

    Allegro, Aug 6, 2003
  5. Major Blunts

    Major Blunts Guest

    (Major Blunts) wrote in message news:<>...
    > In Photoshop Elements, is it possible to crop a picture and save it
    > without resampling the image? Are there other programs that do this?
    >
    > Thanks.

    I should have been clearer in my post. After you crop the photo and
    do a Save As", it appears that it will resample the the picture again
    (Image Options), not just save the "original" cropped photo.

    Major Blunts, Aug 7, 2003
  6. Major Blunts wrote:

    > (Major Blunts) wrote in message
    > > In Photoshop Elements, is it possible to crop a picture and save it
    > > without resampling the image? Are there other programs that do this?
    > >
    > > Thanks.

    > I should have been clearer in my post. After you crop the photo and
    > do a Save As", it appears that it will resample the the picture again
    > (Image Options), not just save the "original" cropped photo.

    There is no need for resample when cropping a photo image.
    But you might mean *recompression*: If your original photo is
    in compressed JPEG format, then a usual graphics editor will
    recompress (and thereby reduce quality of) the image if you
    Save As JPEG again.
    There are few special programs for "lossless cropping" of JPEG
    images which avoid the compression. Try Jpegcrop:

    http://jpegclub.org

    or

    http://jpegclub.org/losslessapps.html

    Regards
    Guido

    Guido Vollbeding, Aug 7, 2003
  7. Major Blunts

    zeta

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2013
    Messages:
    1
    Thanks a lot for this, I also thought it was resampling but recompress is the right word. And good recommendations.

    zeta, Nov 22, 2013