    joevan Guest

    Been checking for a while, first one in over a week, kind of amazing.
    joevan
    joevan, Jan 14, 2004

  2. joevan

    Sultan Guest

    joevan wrote in news::

    > Been checking for a while, first one in over a week, kind of amazing.
    > joevan

    What is so amazing? Microsoft has changed to releasing updates once a
    month, that day being the second Tuesday of each month. December was a
    patch free month, Uncle Bills Christmas gift to all of us I suppose.
    Note that Microsoft always allows itself to release patches as it sees fit
    but for the most part they are going to try and stick with the once a month
    schedule.

    Sultan

    Sultan, Jan 14, 2004

  3. joevan

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Sultan said:

    > joevan wrote in news::
    >
    >> Been checking for a while, first one in over a week, kind of amazing.
    >> joevan
    >>

    > What is so amazing? Microsoft has changed to releasing updates once a
    > month, that day being the second Tuesday of each month. December was a
    > patch free month, Uncle Bills Christmas gift to all of us I suppose.
    > Note that Microsoft always allows itself to release patches as it sees fit
    > but for the most part they are going to try and stick with the once a month
    > schedule.
    >
    > Sultan

    Well I got an update yesterday, and another one today.
    Brian H¹©, Jan 14, 2004
  4. joevan

    Sultan Guest

    Brian H¹© wrote in

    > Sultan said:
    >
    >> joevan wrote in news::
    >>
    >>> Been checking for a while, first one in over a week, kind of
    >>> amazing. joevan
    >>>

    >> What is so amazing? Microsoft has changed to releasing updates once a
    >> month, that day being the second Tuesday of each month. December was
    >> a patch free month, Uncle Bills Christmas gift to all of us I
    >> suppose. Note that Microsoft always allows itself to release patches
    >> as it sees fit but for the most part they are going to try and stick
    >> with the once a month schedule.
    >>
    >> Sultan
    >>

    > Well I got an update yesterday, and another one today.

    And they were which updates for which OS?

    Sultan

    Sultan, Jan 14, 2004
  5. joevan

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Sultan said:

    > Brian H¹© wrote in
    >
    >> Sultan said:

    >>> What is so amazing? Microsoft has changed to releasing updates once a
    >>> month, that day being the second Tuesday of each month. December was
    >>> a patch free month, Uncle Bills Christmas gift to all of us I
    >>> suppose. Note that Microsoft always allows itself to release patches
    >>> as it sees fit but for the most part they are going to try and stick
    >>> with the once a month schedule.
    >>>
    >>> Sultan
    >>>

    >> Well I got an update yesterday, and another one today.
    >>

    > And they were which updates for which OS?

    2000, but if MS are only doing updates once a month, it doesn't really matter
    which OS you want to discuss.
    Brian H¹©, Jan 14, 2004
  6. joevan

    Sultan Guest

    Brian H¹© wrote in

    > Sultan said:
    >
    >> Brian H¹© wrote in

    >>> Well I got an update yesterday, and another one today.
    >>>

    >> And they were which updates for which OS?
    >>

    > 2000, but if MS are only doing updates once a month, it doesn't really
    > matter which OS you want to discuss.

    I should have clarified this only pertains to those updates deemed
    critical. Thus only Critical updates will be released once a month unless
    Microsoft deems otherwise.

    Sultan

    Sultan, Jan 14, 2004
  7. On 13 Jan 2004 18:29:20 -0600, Sultan <>
    wrote:

    >Brian H¹© wrote in
    >
    >> Sultan said:

    >>> What is so amazing? Microsoft has changed to releasing updates once a
    >>> month, that day being the second Tuesday of each month. December was
    >>> a patch free month, Uncle Bills Christmas gift to all of us I
    >>> suppose. Note that Microsoft always allows itself to release patches
    >>> as it sees fit but for the most part they are going to try and stick
    >>> with the once a month schedule.
    >>>
    >>> Sultan
    >>>

    >> Well I got an update yesterday, and another one today.
    >>

    >And they were which updates for which OS?
    >
    >Sultan

    They are all virii. Do not run these patches.
    David A. Seiver, Jan 14, 2004
  8. joevan

    Brian H¹© Guest

    David A. Seiver said:

    > On 13 Jan 2004 18:29:20 -0600, Sultan <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Brian H¹© wrote in

    >>> Well I got an update yesterday, and another one today.
    >>>

    >> And they were which updates for which OS?
    >>
    >> Sultan
    >>

    > They are all virii. Do not run these patches.

    Are you saying that the updates/patches at Windows Updates are viruses?
    Brian H¹©, Jan 14, 2004
  9. joevan

    Boomer Guest

    David A. Seiver, <> wrote:

    > On 13 Jan 2004 18:29:20 -0600, Sultan <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Brian H¹© wrote in

    >>> Well I got an update yesterday, and another one today.
    >>>

    >>And they were which updates for which OS?
    >>
    >>Sultan
    >>

    > They are all virii. Do not run these patches.

    What's 'virii'?
    Boomer, Jan 14, 2004
  10. joevan

    Sultan Guest

    Boomer wrote in news:400495f3$0$5127$892e7fe2
    @authen.yellow.readfreenews.net:

    > David A. Seiver, <> wrote:
    >
    >> On 13 Jan 2004 18:29:20 -0600, Sultan <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Brian H¹© wrote in

    >>>And they were which updates for which OS?
    >>>
    >>>Sultan
    >>>

    >> They are all virii. Do not run these patches.
    >>

    > What's 'virii'?

    Not sure but I don't think I want it.

    Sultan, Jan 14, 2004
  11. joevan

    L Beck Guest

    "David A. Seiver" <> wrote in message
    > On 13 Jan 2004 18:29:20 -0600, Sultan <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Brian H¹© wrote in

    > >> Well I got an update yesterday, and another one today.
    > >>

    > >And they were which updates for which OS?
    > >
    > >Sultan
    > >

    > They are all virii. Do not run these patches.

    If they were received by email, then yes they are a virus. However, we're
    talking about Windows Updates from the Microsoft Windows Updates web site.
    L Beck, Jan 14, 2004
  12. joevan

    joevan Guest

    On 13 Jan 2004 18:54:59 -0600, Sultan <>
    wrote:

    >Brian H¹© wrote in
    >
    >> Sultan said:
    >>
    >>> Brian H¹© wrote in

    >>> And they were which updates for which OS?
    >>>

    >> 2000, but if MS are only doing updates once a month, it doesn't really
    >> matter which OS you want to discuss.
    >>

    >I should have clarified this only pertains to those updates deemed
    >critical. Thus only Critical updates will be released once a month unless
    >Microsoft deems otherwise.
    >
    >Sultan

    >-----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----

    Yes, thanks for your explanation.
    joevan
    joevan, Jan 14, 2004
  13. joevan

    joevan Guest

    On 14 Jan 2004 01:05:56 GMT, Boomer <>
    wrote:

    >What's 'virii'?

    Me thinks it is a plant disease.
    joevan
    joevan, Jan 14, 2004
  14. joevan

    Boomer Guest

    joevan, <> wrote:

    > On 14 Jan 2004 01:05:56 GMT, Boomer <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>What's 'virii'?

    > Me thinks it is a plant disease.
    > joevan

    Maybe just a plant. Like an English Virii. :)
    Boomer, Jan 14, 2004
  15. Sultan wrote:

    > Brian H¹© wrote in

    >> 2000, but if MS are only doing updates once a month, it doesn't really
    >> matter which OS you want to discuss.
    >>

    > I should have clarified this only pertains to those updates deemed
    > critical. Thus only Critical updates will be released once a month
    > unless Microsoft deems otherwise.

    So they may issue not-critical updates more often than critical
    updates?

    --
    Blinky Registered Linux User #297263
    Blinky the Shark, Jan 14, 2004
  16. Boomer wrote:

    > David A. Seiver, <> wrote:
    >
    >> On 13 Jan 2004 18:29:20 -0600, Sultan <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Brian H¹© wrote in

    >>>And they were which updates for which OS?
    >>>
    >>>Sultan
    >>>

    >> They are all virii. Do not run these patches.
    >>

    > What's 'virii'?

    A non-word.

    --
    Blinky Registered Linux User #297263
    Blinky the Shark, Jan 14, 2004
  17. joevan

    Sultan Guest

    joevan wrote in news::

    > On 13 Jan 2004 18:54:59 -0600, Sultan <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Brian H¹© wrote in

    >>> 2000, but if MS are only doing updates once a month, it doesn't
    >>> really matter which OS you want to discuss.
    >>>

    >>I should have clarified this only pertains to those updates deemed
    >>critical. Thus only Critical updates will be released once a month
    >>unless Microsoft deems otherwise.
    >>
    >>Sultan

    >>http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
    >>-----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----

    > Yes, thanks for your explanation.
    > joevan

    You're welcome. You might want to subscribe to bugtraq if you would like
    to keep on top of patch releases and other security patch news.

    Sultan

    Sultan, Jan 14, 2004
  18. joevan

    Sultan Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote in news:pan.2004.01.14.04.44.44.35933
    @blinkynet.net:

    > Sultan wrote:
    >
    >> Brian H¹© wrote in

    >>> 2000, but if MS are only doing updates once a month, it doesn't

    really
    >>> matter which OS you want to discuss.
    >>>

    >> I should have clarified this only pertains to those updates deemed
    >> critical. Thus only Critical updates will be released once a month
    >> unless Microsoft deems otherwise.

    > So they may issue not-critical updates more often than critical
    > updates?

    I doubt it but everything I have read on the subject focuses purely on
    the security side of things, thus critical updates and service packs.
    I wonder if drivers wouldn't be released as they are available. With MS
    who can ever know for sure?

    Sultan

    Sultan, Jan 16, 2004
  19. On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 17:20:20 -0800, "L Beck" <>
    wrote:

    >If they were received by email, then yes they are a virus. However, we're
    >talking about Windows Updates from the Microsoft Windows Updates web site.

    Sorry, misread that. If they are from the MS site, then they should be
    okay (I think)
    David A. Seiver, Jan 17, 2004