    sort of a less ambiguous version - i can understand if cronenberg
    doesn't want them in the movie, but pretty please, it would be nice to
    have for completists. cheers.
    cam reid, Jun 1, 2004

  2. cam reid wrote:
    > first of all let me say "yay" finally Videodrome the way it should be
    > done - never thought this film would get the Criterion treatment -

    Nah, once they start a director it seems like they want to finish the job.

    --
    "I like the cover: 'DON'T PANIC.' It's the first sensible thing I've
    heard all day."

    Grand Inquisitor
    Grand Inquisitor, Jun 1, 2004

  3. Interesting, but does this movie REALLY merit the Criterion treatment?
    Vlvetmorning98, Jun 1, 2004
  4. says...

    > Interesting, but does this movie REALLY merit the Criterion treatment?

    Yes. Yes, it does.

    Certainly more than do ARMAGEDDON, THE ROCK, BLOOD FOR DRACULA, and
    FLESH FOR FRANKENSTEIN. And at least as much as ROBOCOP.

    -- jayembee
    Jerry Boyajian, Jun 1, 2004
  5. Vlvetmorning98 wrote:
    > Interesting, but does this movie REALLY merit the Criterion treatment?

    I know what you mean. I wish they'd work on the movies that need the
    Criterion treatment more, rather than more modern movies that will
    inevitably get a decent studio release someday. More British Hitchcock!
    More Fellini! More Tarkovsky! How about King Vidor?

    Grand Inquisitor, Jun 1, 2004
  6. I'd love to see "Cocktail Molotov", which was promised but never made. There's
    a million Robert Altman(*cough-california split, short cuts, secret honor,
    h*e*a*l*t*h) movies they should work with, too.
    Vlvetmorning98, Jun 2, 2004
  7. Vlvetmorning98 wrote:
    > There's a million Robert Altman(*cough-california split, short cuts,
    > secret honor, h*e*a*l*t*h) movies they should work with, too.

    I'd be very surprised if Criterion haven't at least *tried* to get DVD
    release rights for _Short Cuts_ and _Secret Honor_, considering that they
    already had supplements for both films from their laserdisc releases.

    doug

    --
    "And the chorus goes, and the chorus goes, b-b-b-b-b-bang..."
    --Wire
    Douglas Bailey, Jun 2, 2004
  8. says...

    > I know what you mean. I wish they'd work on the movies that need the
    > Criterion treatment more, rather than more modern movies that will
    > inevitably get a decent studio release someday. More British Hitchcock!
    > More Fellini! More Tarkovsky! How about King Vidor?

    It depends on what they can get the rights to.

    The British Hitchcocks are easy, as they are in the Public Domain.

    The Fellinis are also doable, but they probably want to spread them out
    more.

    As for Tarkovsky, they're supposedly planning a release of IVAN'S
    CHILDHOOD. But Ruscico has the rights to STALKER, Kino has the rights to
    THE MIRROR and THE SACRIFICE, and Fox Lorber (or whatever they call
    themselves this week) has the rights to NOSTALGHIA. There's been some
    agreement made between Fox Lorber and Criterion, so it's possible that
    Criterion will do an edition of NOSTALGHIA, but the others are out of
    their hands.

    As for King Vidor, the bulk of his films are probably held by various
    studios.

    -- jayembee
    Jerry Boyajian, Jun 2, 2004
  9. Jerry Boyajian wrote:

    > says...
    >

    >>I know what you mean. I wish they'd work on the movies that need the
    >>Criterion treatment more, rather than more modern movies that will
    >>inevitably get a decent studio release someday. More British Hitchcock!
    >>More Fellini! More Tarkovsky! How about King Vidor?

    > It depends on what they can get the rights to.

    Me knows.

    > The British Hitchcocks are easy, as they are in the Public Domain.

    Yeah, so get crackin, Criterion!

    > The Fellinis are also doable, but they probably want to spread them out
    > more.

    But why? They don't mind clustering the Kurosawa's together.

    > As for Tarkovsky, they're supposedly planning a release of IVAN'S
    > CHILDHOOD. But Ruscico has the rights to STALKER, Kino has the rights to
    > THE MIRROR and THE SACRIFICE, and Fox Lorber (or whatever they call
    > themselves this week) has the rights to NOSTALGHIA. There's been some
    > agreement made between Fox Lorber and Criterion, so it's possible that
    > Criterion will do an edition of NOSTALGHIA, but the others are out of
    > their hands.

    Are the R1 non-Criterion Tarkovskys any good?

    > As for King Vidor, the bulk of his films are probably held by various
    > studios.

    I wish they'd start releasing some already. At least The Crowd and The
    Big Parade.

    Grand Inquisitor, Jun 2, 2004
  10. Derek Janssen wrote:
    > In fact, some of their better vintage non-director titles include
    > "official" cleaned-up versions of PD classics--
    > Charade, His Girl Griday, WC Fields, 39 Steps...

    I only recall one version of The 39 Steps on my disc, not counting the
    radio play. What are you talking about?

    Grand Inquisitor, Jun 2, 2004
  11. says...

    > In fact, some of their better vintage non-director titles include
    > "official" cleaned-up versions of PD classics--
    > Charade, His Girl Griday, WC Fields, 39 Steps...

    Well, actually, they didn't do HIS GIRL FRIDAY. Columbia did their own
    version of it. Perhaps you're thinking of MY MAN GODFREY?

    And at least one of the Fields, THE BANK DICK, would be part of their
    licensing agreement with Universal (the shorts on the other release are
    definitely in P.D., though).

    But aside from two Hitchcocks (THE LADY VANISHES and THE 39 STEPS), the
    Fields shorts collection, CHARADE and MY MAN GODFREY, the only P.D.
    title I can think of that they released is THE MOST DANGEROUS GAME.

    > In between their current foreign/arthouse prestige rush, Criterion
    > should help do the industry a public service by taking a PD "charity
    > case" to reform every quarter-- It's not that big an expenditure
    > compared to other titles, and just to see the look on Madacy's face. :)

    I can't argue with that. First two titles I'd like to see them do would
    be LIFE WITH FATHER and BEAT THE DEVIL.

    -- jayembee
    Jerry Boyajian, Jun 2, 2004
  12. says...

    > Jerry Boyajian wrote:
    >
    >> The Fellinis are also doable, but they probably want to spread
    >> them out more.

    > But why? They don't mind clustering the Kurosawa's together.

    I'm not sure why you say that.

    SEVEN SAMURAI (1998 08 05)
    HIGH AND LOW (1998 10 14)
    YOJIMBO (1999 09 28)
    SANJURO (1999 09 28)
    THE HIDDEN FORTRESS (2001 05 22)
    RASHOMON (2002 03 26)
    RED BEARD (2002 07 16)
    THRONE OF BLOOD (2003 05 27)
    IKIRU (2004 01 06)
    STRAY DOG (2004 05 25)
    THE LOWER DEPTHS (2004 06 22)

    Other than YOJIMBO and SANJURO being released simultaneously -- which
    makes sense, since they're connected -- only the last two are clustered
    together.

    The last Fellini they did, LA STRADA, came out last November. The next
    one scheduled, I VITELLONI, should be out in, I think, August.

    >> As for Tarkovsky, they're supposedly planning a release of IVAN'S
    >> CHILDHOOD. But Ruscico has the rights to STALKER, Kino has the rights
    >> to THE MIRROR and THE SACRIFICE, and Fox Lorber (or whatever they
    >> call themselves this week) has the rights to NOSTALGHIA. There's been
    >> some agreement made between Fox Lorber and Criterion, so it's
    >> possible that Criterion will do an edition of NOSTALGHIA, but the
    >> others are out of their hands.

    > Are the R1 non-Criterion Tarkovskys any good?

    The Ruscico STALKER and the two from Kino are quite good. I haven't
    gotten nor seen NOSTALGHIA, but (a) Fox Lorber's track record isn't that
    great, and (b) I have Criterion's LD of it, so I'm in no hurry to pick
    it up.

    >> As for King Vidor, the bulk of his films are probably held by various
    >> studios.

    > I wish they'd start releasing some already. At least The Crowd and The
    > Big Parade.

    Those two are specifically held by Warner. I don't know of any plans by
    Warner to release them. And Warner doesn't license their titles out, so
    they're unavailable to Criterion.

    -- jayembee
    Jerry Boyajian, Jun 2, 2004
  13. cam reid

    jayembee Guest

    Derek Janssen <> wrote:

    >Jerry Boyajian wrote:
    >
    > But aside from two Hitchcocks (THE LADY VANISHES and THE 39 STEPS), the
    >> Fields shorts collection, CHARADE and MY MAN GODFREY, the only P.D.
    >> title I can think of that they released is THE MOST DANGEROUS GAME.

    >How about "Brief Encounter", "Carnival of Souls", "Devil and Daniel
    >Webster", and "The Third Man"?

    Hmmm. I don't think either BE or TD&DW are in the Public Domain, but I
    could be wrong. Your'e right about the other two, though. My bad.

    -- jayembee
    jayembee, Jun 2, 2004
  14. cam reid

    madkevin Guest

    "Grand Inquisitor" <> wrote in message
    > Vlvetmorning98 wrote:
    > > Interesting, but does this movie REALLY merit the Criterion treatment?

    > I know what you mean. I wish they'd work on the movies that need the
    > Criterion treatment more, rather than more modern movies that will
    > inevitably get a decent studio release someday. More British Hitchcock!
    > More Fellini!

    Like "I Vitelloni", you mean?

    Kevin www.criterioncollection.com Cogliano
    madkevin, Jun 2, 2004
  15. Jerry Boyajian wrote:

    >>I know what you mean. I wish they'd work on the movies that need the
    >>Criterion treatment more, rather than more modern movies that will
    >>inevitably get a decent studio release someday. More British Hitchcock!
    >>More Fellini! More Tarkovsky! How about King Vidor?

    > It depends on what they can get the rights to.
    >
    > The British Hitchcocks are easy, as they are in the Public Domain.

    In fact, some of their better vintage non-director titles include
    "official" cleaned-up versions of PD classics--
    Charade, His Girl Griday, WC Fields, 39 Steps...

    In between their current foreign/arthouse prestige rush, Criterion
    should help do the industry a public service by taking a PD "charity
    case" to reform every quarter--
    It's not that big an expenditure compared to other titles, and just to
    see the look on Madacy's face. :)

    Derek Janssen
    Derek Janssen, Jun 2, 2004
  16. Jerry Boyajian wrote:

    >>In between their current foreign/arthouse prestige rush, Criterion
    >>should help do the industry a public service by taking a PD "charity
    >>case" to reform every quarter-- It's not that big an expenditure
    >>compared to other titles, and just to see the look on Madacy's face. :)

    > I can't argue with that. First two titles I'd like to see them do would
    > be LIFE WITH FATHER and BEAT THE DEVIL.

    You'd think someone at Crite would've adopted the Jose Ferrer "Cyrano"
    by now...

    And not that "Inspector General", "A Little Princess" or "Till the
    Clouds Roll By" are world classics, but they'd sure look a lot better
    with their *real* Technicolors.

    Derek Janssen
    Derek Janssen, Jun 2, 2004
  17. Jerry Boyajian wrote:

    But aside from two Hitchcocks (THE LADY VANISHES and THE 39 STEPS), the
    > Fields shorts collection, CHARADE and MY MAN GODFREY, the only P.D.
    > title I can think of that they released is THE MOST DANGEROUS GAME.

    How about "Brief Encounter", "Carnival of Souls", "Devil and Daniel
    Webster", and "The Third Man"?

    Granted, they had existing artistic justifications for most of these
    (and the Fields shorts were tied in to "Bank Dick"), but then, you could
    probably find just as much artistic reason for "Charade" and "Godfrey"
    beyond just the satisfaction of un-Madacising them.

    Derek Janssen
    Derek Janssen, Jun 2, 2004
  18. cam reid

    Mike Kohary Guest

    Vlvetmorning98 wrote:
    > Interesting, but does this movie REALLY merit the Criterion treatment?

    Not really, which is yet another reason that I think the vaunted Criterion
    label is a bit overrated.

    Mike
    Mike Kohary, Jun 2, 2004
  19. cam reid

    Bil Gonzalez Guest

    "Mike Kohary" <> wrote in message
    > Vlvetmorning98 wrote:
    > > Interesting, but does this movie REALLY merit the Criterion treatment?

    > Not really, which is yet another reason that I think the vaunted Criterion
    > label is a bit overrated.
    >
    > Mike

    In the Laserdisc world, Criterion was the ultimate. Few other studios were
    producing media in OAR, let alone with supplements including commentaries.
    In a DVD world, this has become not only commonplace, but standard.
    Basically, the majors have "stolen" the format that made Criterion what it
    was, so it no longer stands out as a unique premium product.

    -BB
    Bil Gonzalez, Jun 2, 2004
  20. On Wed, 2 Jun 2004, Grand Inquisitor wrote:

    > Jerry Boyajian wrote:
    >
    > > As for King Vidor, the bulk of his films are probably held by various
    > > studios.

    > I wish they'd start releasing some already. At least The Crowd and The
    > Big Parade.

    There's been talk of a Big Parade disc through Warner Bros. as a "TCM
    Classic" a la the recent Lon Chaney set. Keep your fingers crossed.

    swac
    Stephen Cooke, Jun 2, 2004