    Sorry for so many questions, but could anyone give me the rundown on
    these things? I just want to know I'm getting the real thing before I
    start shelling out $70, $80, etc.... Thanks so much!!!!
    FZ, Sep 7, 2003

  2. FZ

    Jay G Guest

    "FZ" <> wrote...
    > Hi Gang,
    > I was wondering if someone could enlighten me. I have recently
    > decided to try and pick up some of the out of print Criterion DVDs on
    > Ebay. I guess I didn't realize that fakes were that common, but it
    > looks like it may be so.

    Fakes of OOP Criterions on eBay are fairly common. It's
    frustrating because it's also one of the places that legitimate
    OOP DVDs pop up frequently.

    > Is the rule of thumb that if the Criterion DVD doesn't have a
    > colored ring around it then it's a fake? Do any of them have two
    > authentic versions (ring and no ring)? I see people selling authentic
    > "factory sealed copies" but claim the disc has no ring and it comes
    > with no insert......HUH?!! Do people make DVD-R copies, scan and
    > laser print the label, use hair dryer shrink wrap and then pawn them
    > off as new....is that what's going on?

    No, these discs are pressed at an actual DVD replication plant.
    Usually these discs originate from Asia, mostly China or Malaysia,
    due to the rampant piracy over there and the willingness of some
    replication plants to overlook the legitimacy of some of the DVDs
    they press.

    From the FAQ at www.criterionco.com

    How can I identify a bootleg Criterion DVD?

    There's no sure-fire way to identify a bootleg Criterion
    disc. DVD bootleggers are extremely crafty and resourceful
    and they are not to be underestimated. A good thing to do is
    to make sure that the DVD's ISBN number, UPC code, and
    catalog number match those that appear on our website. In
    addition, look for our copyright and confirm that the audio,
    video, and features specs match up. Although this cannot
    definitively determine a disc's authenticity, you can feel safer
    if this information is consistent.

    www.criteriondvd.com used to have a list, but that site is down
    for the time being.

    -Jay
    Jay G, Sep 7, 2003

  3. FZ

    DarkMatter Guest

    On 7 Sep 2003 07:04:00 -0700, (FZ) Gave us:

    >Hi Gang,
    > I was wondering if someone could enlighten me. I have recently
    >decided to try and pick up some of the out of print Criterion DVDs on
    >Ebay. I guess I didn't realize that fakes were that common, but it
    >looks like it may be so.
    >
    > Is the rule of thumb that if the Criterion DVD doesn't have a
    >colored ring around it then it's a fake? Do any of them have two
    >authentic versions (ring and no ring)? I see people selling authentic
    >"factory sealed copies" but claim the disc has no ring and it comes
    >with no insert......HUH?!! Do people make DVD-R copies, scan and
    >laser print the label, use hair dryer shrink wrap and then pawn them
    >off as new....is that what's going on?
    >
    > Sorry for so many questions, but could anyone give me the rundown on
    >these things? I just want to know I'm getting the real thing before I
    >start shelling out $70, $80, etc.... Thanks so much!!!!

    It sounds like a fraud that you should be alerting E-bay to. I
    would... in a heartbeat. It's just a shame that the bastards doing it
    don't get jail time, and your teen aged kid does for having some weed.

    We live in a lame country that allows illicit behaviors in favor of
    the tax revenues and police fundings they generate.
    DarkMatter, Sep 7, 2003