Cringley Responds to MS' Ballmer on Open Source

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by steve, Oct 24, 2003.

  1. steve

    steve Guest

    steve, Oct 24, 2003

  2. steve

    Max Burke Guest

    > steve scribbled:
    > Well worth a read.....
    > http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/pulpit20031023.html

    Hardly; It's just the usual quasi-religious beliefs of someone who
    'writes' sensasionilist 'storries' about the IT world for a living, and
    claims that it's advocacy for OSS/*nix...

    I lost track of the point he was trying to make when he started talking
    about creating computer software is an 'art,' not a business.

    I'm surprised he missed out the bit about how OSS/*nix is going to "save
    us all from a new dark age" when her claimed that Microsoft's views of
    OSS/*nix hurts us all......
    I mean, really, hands up those who think they're being hurt and
    victimised because Microsoft holds OSS/*nix in 'low reagrd' as a viable
    commercial 'entity?'

    Anyone who tells you, or tries to convince you that their favorite
    operating system is somehow immune to market forces, human error, and
    plain malice, is doing both you and the operating system they espouse a
    disservice.
    http://www.informationweek.com/story/IWK20030124S0013/5

    --
    mlvburke@#%&*.net.nz
    See Found Images at:

    Max Burke, Oct 24, 2003

  3. steve

    Lennier Guest

    Huh?

    You're not making sense.

    Lennier

    Lennier, Oct 25, 2003
  4. steve

    T.N.O. Guest

    "Max Burke" wrote
    > Hardly; It's just the usual quasi-religious beliefs of someone who
    > 'writes' sensasionilist 'storries' about the IT world for a living, and
    > claims that it's advocacy for OSS/*nix...

    Well I think it is somewhere between the two really... but ummm yeah, he
    sounds a little to intense.

    T.N.O., Oct 26, 2003
  5. steve

    steve Guest

    Lennier allegedly said:

    > Huh?
    >
    > You're not making sense.
    >
    > Lennier

    Max rarely ever does. He's as bad as Woger where MS is concerned.

    steve, Oct 26, 2003
  6. Hi there,

    T.N.O. wrote:
    > "Max Burke" wrote
    >
    >>Hardly; It's just the usual quasi-religious beliefs of someone who
    >>'writes' sensasionilist 'storries' about the IT world for a living, and
    >>claims that it's advocacy for OSS/*nix...

    > Well I think it is somewhere between the two really... but ummm yeah, he
    > sounds a little to intense.

    ....and he sure knows how to use his cut & paste. His precise wording of
    parts of his email have appeared prior to this, in other Win vs.Lin debates...

    Are we sure he isn't just a bot of some sort? ;-)

    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Christchurch.

    Chris Wilkinson, Oct 28, 2003