Creeping mice

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Bob - Andover, MA, Feb 24, 2004.

  1. I have two USB optical mice : one is a Microsoft Wireless Optical
    Blue, and the other a Logitech Wheel Mouse. I've used them both (not
    at the same time), and they both exhibit the same problem:

    Frequently the mouse cursor begins to creep along the screen - usually
    to the upper right corner. Sometimes the creep is very slow (and hence
    a mere inconvenience), while other times the creep is so fast that the
    mouse becomes completely unusable.

    Rebooting sometimes resets the mouse creep, but within minutes the
    creep reappears. From my BIOS setup program I disabled the touchpad
    device on the notebook - but the creep still occurs.

    I went into the Intellipoint mouse properties utility and reran the
    orientation program - but still the creep creeps in.

    Both these pointing devices used to work on this system with no
    problem, and had been doing so for several months.

    My mouse driver is "Microsoft PS/2 Port Mouse (InelliPoint)"
    v4.10.851.0

    My system is a Dell Lattitude C610 running W2K Pro.

    Bob - Andover, MA, Feb 24, 2004

  2. Bob - Andover, MA wrote:
    :: I have two USB optical mice : one is a Microsoft Wireless Optical
    :: Blue, and the other a Logitech Wheel Mouse. I've used them both (not
    :: at the same time), and they both exhibit the same problem:
    ::
[...]

    Erm, try a different mouse mat? Ideally, one designed for use with optical
    mice..Yes, they do exist.

    eric the seal, Feb 24, 2004

  3. Bob - Andover, MA

    jils Guest

    this happens to me, bob, when i inadvertently chuck my cell phone on the
    desk.
    once it's done, i have to reboot to regain control of the mouse.
    mine's a logitech marble trackman (or something like that)

    could there be anything interfering with the radio signal for the mouse on
    your desk?

    jils, Feb 24, 2004
  4. Having to reboot is a pain... You could buy a cheap USB mouse and just plug
    that in when things go loopy.

    Just an idea.. I keep one handy for when I lose control of the "normal"
    mouse for some reason. Normally because I have pulled the damn lead out
    moving the computer (it is on wheels and I like to dust it..)

    eric the seal, Feb 24, 2004
  5. Bob - Andover, MA

    jils Guest

    nah. after the first few times i figured out the problem and i don't put the
    phone on the desk any more!!

    jils, Feb 25, 2004
  6. Bob - Andover, MA

    Chris Hodges Guest

    eric the seal wrote:
    > Erm, try a different mouse mat? Ideally, one designed for use with optical
    > mice..Yes, they do exist.

    A sheet of plain white printer paper works well for my logitech optical
    (Though I actually use a plastic thing that came with a phillips webcam ATM)

    --
    Chris
    -----

    Chris Hodges, Feb 25, 2004