Credit-card number peeve

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Mar 16, 2008.

  1. Don't you just hate websites that insist you enter a credit-card number as
    all digits, with no hyphens or spaces allowed? How many lines of JavaScript
    does it take to strip out non-digits before submitting the form?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Mar 16, 2008
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Enkidu Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    > Don't you just hate websites that insist you enter a credit-card number as
    > all digits, with no hyphens or spaces allowed? How many lines of JavaScript
    > does it take to strip out non-digits before submitting the form?
    >

    Or the ones that give you four boxes, but don't automatically move you
    to the next box when you've entered 4, and let you enter 5 or more
    digits in each box. I mean, the code at the far end must take the four
    fields and return a CC number, so why couldn't they make the fields four
    wide in the HTML?

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    --

    Have you ever noticed that if something is advertised as 'amusing' or
    'hilarious', it usually isn't?
    Enkidu, Mar 16, 2008
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Richard Guest

    Enkidu wrote:
    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > >
    >> Don't you just hate websites that insist you enter a credit-card
    >> number as
    >> all digits, with no hyphens or spaces allowed? How many lines of
    >> JavaScript
    >> does it take to strip out non-digits before submitting the form?
    > >

    > Or the ones that give you four boxes, but don't automatically move you
    > to the next box when you've entered 4, and let you enter 5 or more
    > digits in each box. I mean, the code at the far end must take the four
    > fields and return a CC number, so why couldn't they make the fields four
    > wide in the HTML?


    Why does it need to be 4 seperate fields? Thats almost as annoying as
    the ones with 3 textfields or 2 textfields and a dropdown to get a date.
    Why not just let me type it?
    Richard, Mar 16, 2008
    #3
  4. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Bryce Utting Guest

    Richard <> wrote:
    >>> Don't you just hate websites that insist you enter a credit-card
    >>> number as all digits, with no hyphens or spaces allowed? How many
    >>> lines of JavaScript does it take to strip out non-digits before
    >>> submitting the form?

    >
    > Why does it need to be 4 seperate fields? Thats almost as annoying as
    > the ones with 3 textfields or 2 textfields and a dropdown to get a date.


    brave admission, that man.


    butting

    --
    http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~butting
    I am very new to programming drivers so if I sound un-knowledgeable
    then it's because I am.
    -- first4internet's Ceri Coburn on writing Sony's DRM rootkit
    Bryce Utting, Mar 16, 2008
    #4
  5. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Squiggle Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > Enkidu wrote:
    >> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >> >
    >>> Don't you just hate websites that insist you enter a credit-card
    >>> number as
    >>> all digits, with no hyphens or spaces allowed? How many lines of
    >>> JavaScript
    >>> does it take to strip out non-digits before submitting the form?
    >> >

    >> Or the ones that give you four boxes, but don't automatically move you
    >> to the next box when you've entered 4, and let you enter 5 or more
    >> digits in each box. I mean, the code at the far end must take the four
    >> fields and return a CC number, so why couldn't they make the fields
    >> four wide in the HTML?

    >
    > Why does it need to be 4 seperate fields? Thats almost as annoying as
    > the ones with 3 textfields or 2 textfields and a dropdown to get a date.
    > Why not just let me type it?


    Because the Americans (and others?) do dates back to front. is
    10/11/2008 10th November or 11th October?
    Squiggle, Mar 16, 2008
    #5
  6. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Chris Lim Guest

    On Mar 16, 10:48 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > Don't you just hate websites that insist you enter a credit-card number as
    > all digits, with no hyphens or spaces allowed? How many lines of JavaScript
    > does it take to strip out non-digits before submitting the form?


    OTOH how hard is it to always type in credit card numbers with no
    hyphens or spaces (less typing!) ? I haven't come across any websites
    that don't accept them in this format, so it's not like you need to
    chop and change.
    Chris Lim, Mar 16, 2008
    #6
  7. On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 22:48:07 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:

    >Don't you just hate websites that insist you enter a credit-card number as
    >all digits, with no hyphens or spaces allowed? How many lines of JavaScript
    >does it take to strip out non-digits before submitting the form?




    Use Windows works Great..
    Brian Mathews, Mar 16, 2008
    #7
  8. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    sam Guest

    Brian Mathews wrote:
    > On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 22:48:07 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:
    >
    >> Don't you just hate websites that insist you enter a credit-card number as
    >> all digits, with no hyphens or spaces allowed? How many lines of JavaScript
    >> does it take to strip out non-digits before submitting the form?

    >
    >
    >
    > Use Windows works Great..
    >
    >

    Standing on the runway again eh ?
    sam, Mar 16, 2008
    #8
  9. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    thingy Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > Don't you just hate websites that insist you enter a credit-card number as
    > all digits, with no hyphens or spaces allowed? How many lines of JavaScript
    > does it take to strip out non-digits before submitting the form?


    Probably none effectively, ie I would think there is a std module
    someone else has already written to do that....

    give me perl any day.

    regards

    thing
    thingy, Mar 16, 2008
    #9
  10. In article
    <>, Chris
    Lim did write:

    > OTOH how hard is it to always type in credit card numbers with no
    > hyphens or spaces (less typing!) ?


    Give the users the choice.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Mar 17, 2008
    #10
  11. In article <47dcf294$>, Squiggle did write:

    > Because the Americans (and others?) do dates back to front. is
    > 10/11/2008 10th November or 11th October?


    There's actually an ISO-standard order, which is year-month-day, also used
    in Japan. That's the form I prefer--easier to do comparisons and sorting.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Mar 17, 2008
    #11
  12. In article <>, Brian Mathews did
    write:

    > On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 22:48:07 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    > <_zealand> wrote:
    >
    >>Don't you just hate websites that insist you enter a credit-card number as
    >>all digits, with no hyphens or spaces allowed? How many lines of
    >>JavaScript does it take to strip out non-digits before submitting the
    >>form?

    >
    > Use Windows works Great..


    Oddly enough, the problem arose because I was helping a friend renew a
    subscription for some Dimdows software.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Mar 17, 2008
    #12
  13. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Ron McNulty Guest

    On Mar 16, 10:48 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > Don't you just hate websites that insist you enter a credit-card number as
    > all digits, with no hyphens or spaces allowed? How many lines of JavaScript
    > does it take to strip out non-digits before submitting the form?


    Well the occasional user will have JavaScript disabled. But that is no
    excuse for poor programming on the server side.

    My take on this is to accept lots of formats from the user, then
    standardise the format on the results page. So strip out non-digits,
    then format the number exactly as it appears on the credit card.

    Regards

    Ron
    Ron McNulty, Mar 17, 2008
    #13
  14. On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 13:15:22 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > In article <>, Brian Mathews did
    > write:
    >
    >> On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 22:48:07 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    >> <_zealand> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Don't you just hate websites that insist you enter a credit-card number as
    >>>all digits, with no hyphens or spaces allowed? How many lines of
    >>>JavaScript does it take to strip out non-digits before submitting the
    >>>form?

    >>
    >> Use Windows works Great..

    >
    > Oddly enough, the problem arose because I was helping a friend renew a
    > subscription for some Dimdows software.


    Well there is your problem there if you had half a brain cell you would
    have tried it with windows software.
    Robin Halligan, Mar 21, 2008
    #14
  15. In article <skud9mf5g2hz.r8amab9zjs54$>, Robin Halligan did
    write:

    > On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 13:15:22 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> In article <>, Brian Mathews
    >> did write:
    >>
    >>> On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 22:48:07 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    >>> <_zealand> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>>Don't you just hate websites that insist you enter a credit-card number
    >>>>as all digits, with no hyphens or spaces allowed? How many lines of
    >>>>JavaScript does it take to strip out non-digits before submitting the
    >>>>form?
    >>>
    >>> Use Windows works Great..

    >>
    >> Oddly enough, the problem arose because I was helping a friend renew a
    >> subscription for some Dimdows software.

    >
    > Well there is your problem there if you had half a brain cell you would
    > have tried it with windows software.


    We _did_ try it all on Dimdows.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Mar 21, 2008
    #15
  16. On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 15:48:19 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > In article <skud9mf5g2hz.r8amab9zjs54$>, Robin Halligan did
    > write:
    >
    >> On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 13:15:22 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >>
    >>> In article <>, Brian Mathews
    >>> did write:
    >>>
    >>>> On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 22:48:07 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    >>>> <_zealand> wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>>Don't you just hate websites that insist you enter a credit-card number
    >>>>>as all digits, with no hyphens or spaces allowed? How many lines of
    >>>>>JavaScript does it take to strip out non-digits before submitting the
    >>>>>form?
    >>>>
    >>>> Use Windows works Great..
    >>>
    >>> Oddly enough, the problem arose because I was helping a friend renew a
    >>> subscription for some Dimdows software.

    >>
    >> Well there is your problem there if you had half a brain cell you would
    >> have tried it with windows software.

    >
    > We _did_ try it all on Dimdows.



    Again this is your problem you should try WINDOWS not this fantasy you have
    called dimdows.

    you should try looking in the real world once in a while and not the
    fantasy world you live in.
    Robin Halligan, Mar 23, 2008
    #16
  17. In article <skud9mf5g2hz.r8amab9zjs54$>, wrote:
    >On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 13:15:22 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >> In article <>, Brian Mathews did
    >> write:
    >>> On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 22:48:07 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    >>> <_zealand> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>>Don't you just hate websites that insist you enter a credit-card number as
    >>>>all digits, with no hyphens or spaces allowed? How many lines of
    >>>>JavaScript does it take to strip out non-digits before submitting the
    >>>>form?
    >>>
    >>> Use Windows works Great..

    >>
    >> Oddly enough, the problem arose because I was helping a friend renew a
    >> subscription for some Dimdows software.

    >
    >Well there is your problem there if you had half a brain cell you would
    >have tried it with windows software.


    is this woger again ?
    Bruce Sinclair, Mar 31, 2008
    #17
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Frisbee®
    Replies:
    37
    Views:
    1,093
  2. Toolman Tim

    CREDIT CARD GENERATOR PPROGRAM DOWNLOAD

    Toolman Tim, May 16, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    9
    Views:
    6,401
  3. Don Stauffer in Minnesota

    Peeve-black plastic peripherals

    Don Stauffer in Minnesota, Dec 26, 2007, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    308
    Ron Hunter
    Dec 27, 2007
  4. brno

    Valid Credit Card Number

    brno, Jul 28, 2008, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    3,034
  5. weezy16

    Need Credit Card Number

    weezy16, Jun 26, 2012, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    849
    weezy16
    Jun 26, 2012
Loading...

Share This Page