Creative Zen Vision M:

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Tony in Oz, Dec 6, 2007.

  1. Tony in Oz

    Tony in Oz Guest

    Hi all, been trying to sort out some issues with this MP3 player, which will
    not install onto my XP pro machine. Below is the communication I have been
    having with their help people, but it is stumping them and its stumping
    me... Any help appreciated. Cheers Sorry, it scrolls backwards, or starts
    at the bottom...

    )

    Tony in Oz, Dec 6, 2007

  2. Tony in Oz

    pcbuilder98. Guest

    "Tony in Oz" <> wrote in

    > Hi all, been trying to sort out some issues with this MP3 player,
    > which will not install onto my XP pro machine. Below is the
    > communication I have been having with their help people, but it is
    > stumping them and its stumping me... Any help appreciated. Cheers
    > Sorry, it scrolls backwards, or starts at the bottom...

    <big snip>

    Summarize it or you will most likely get no answers.

    --
    pcbuilder98.
    pcbuilder98., Dec 6, 2007

  3. Tony in Oz

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Thu, 06 Dec 2007 23:09:19 -0000, "pcbuilder98."
    <pcbuilder98@._.com> wrote:

    ><big snip>
    >
    >Summarize it or you will most likely get no answers.

    What, you aren't going to read through 668 lines?
    Evan Platt, Dec 6, 2007
  4. Tony in Oz

    Jim McCARDLE Guest

    Hi I have a earlier Creative Zen 20gb version. I like it it works very
    well and is great on long trips, beats the cd stacker in the boot.!

    You do not mention whether you are plugging it in directly to a usb
    port on the motherboard or going via an external hub.
    I would go directly BUT check the ports individually with some other
    usb device that is currently working, eg an external memory stick.
    This is to check that your USB ports are truly functional, you may
    have one that is faulty.
    If they check ok good, if not mark the faulty/suspect port and DO NOT
    use it!

    If they all check Ok well that is good in one way then consider
    removing the software for the ZEN (in control/add-remove programs)

    Make sure that your Zen battery is fully charged before this next
    step.

    Now reinstall it following the Creative labs instructions. Make sure
    that you do not have the Zen connected until told to plug it
    in/connect. When you plug it in the system should recognise new
    hardware and then want to install any drivers it needs from one of the
    two cds you have.

    If you are still having problems try it on a different computer.

    I have found in the past stubborn problems can be that someone has
    altered or played with the policy settings. You can do a lot of
    damage fiddling there. It is possibble to prevent networking,
    altering anything etc with the settings there. Some schools try and
    lock the pc down using these contols. I have read about being able to
    disable the usb ports from using or writing to external USB Memory
    sticks. I think it was in an email I received from
    www.techrepublic.com but here is a result from a google search:

    HOWTO: Use Group Policy to disable USB, CD-ROM, Floppy Disk and LS-120
    drivers
    explaintextusb="Disables the computers USB ports by disabling the
    usbstor.sys driver" ... Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Enterprise
    Edition for Itanium ...
    support.microsoft.com/kb/555324

    Good luck, let us all know how you get on.

    Jim McCardle

    Jim McCARDLE, Dec 7, 2007
  5. Tony in Oz

    Tony in Oz Guest

    "Evan Platt" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 06 Dec 2007 23:09:19 -0000, "pcbuilder98."
    > <pcbuilder98@._.com> wrote:
    >
    >><big snip>
    >>
    >>Summarize it or you will most likely get no answers.

    > What, you aren't going to read through 668 lines?

    Yeah, your right Evan. Sorry, I'm trying to do this in the few spare moments
    I get every day.
    Basically its a 60 GB Creative Zen, which is a great player, and
    installs and works fine on my wife's laptop, Win XP Home SP2.
    However it wont install on my desktop, Win XP Pro, SP 2, although it is
    being recognised correctly, as an MTP device, and therefore does not need
    drivers to run with windows. But each time it goes to install when I
    connect, it tells me the file could not be found, and the device has a
    problem. In device manager, it is listed as Creative Zen Vision M, but has
    the yellow exclamation mark, and says the drivers are not installed. I have
    been in touch with Creative's help desk people, who it appears are also
    stumped. I have done all the stuff that Jim suggested in the next post also,
    with no success. Any help is appreciated. Cheers Tony
    Tony in Oz, Dec 7, 2007
  6. Ebeneezer Ponder, Dec 7, 2007
  7. Tony in Oz

    Rôgêr Guest

    Ebeneezer Ponder wrote:
    > Hiya Evan Platt.
    >
    > In <news:> you wrote:
    >
    >> What, you aren't going to read through 668 lines?

    > They're all killed by my size filter ;)

    I had a girlfriend once with one of them. I passed with flying colors.
    Rôgêr, Dec 7, 2007
  8. Tony in Oz

    Tony in Oz Guest

    "Jim McCARDLE" <> wrote in message
    > Hi I have a earlier Creative Zen 20gb version. I like it it works very
    > well and is great on long trips, beats the cd stacker in the boot.!
    >
    > You do not mention whether you are plugging it in directly to a usb
    > port on the motherboard or going via an external hub.
    > I would go directly BUT check the ports individually with some other
    > usb device that is currently working, eg an external memory stick.
    > This is to check that your USB ports are truly functional, you may
    > have one that is faulty.
    > If they check ok good, if not mark the faulty/suspect port and DO NOT
    > use it!
    >
    > If they all check Ok well that is good in one way then consider
    > removing the software for the ZEN (in control/add-remove programs)
    >
    > Make sure that your Zen battery is fully charged before this next
    > step.
    >
    > Now reinstall it following the Creative labs instructions. Make sure
    > that you do not have the Zen connected until told to plug it
    > in/connect. When you plug it in the system should recognise new
    > hardware and then want to install any drivers it needs from one of the
    > two cds you have.
    >
    > If you are still having problems try it on a different computer.
    >
    > I have found in the past stubborn problems can be that someone has
    > altered or played with the policy settings. You can do a lot of
    > damage fiddling there. It is possibble to prevent networking,
    > altering anything etc with the settings there. Some schools try and
    > lock the pc down using these contols. I have read about being able to
    > disable the usb ports from using or writing to external USB Memory
    > sticks. I think it was in an email I received from
    > www.techrepublic.com but here is a result from a google search:
    >
    > HOWTO: Use Group Policy to disable USB, CD-ROM, Floppy Disk and LS-120
    > drivers
    > explaintextusb="Disables the computers USB ports by disabling the
    > usbstor.sys driver" ... Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Enterprise
    > Edition for Itanium ...
    > support.microsoft.com/kb/555324
    >
    > Good luck, let us all know how you get on.
    >
    > Jim McCardle
    >

    > On Thu, 06 Dec 2007 20:52:36 GMT, "Tony in Oz" <> wrote:
    >
    >>Hi all, been trying to sort out some issues with this MP3 player, which
    >>will
    >>not install onto my XP pro machine. Below is the communication I have
    >>been
    >>having with their help people, but it is stumping them and its stumping
    >>me... Any help appreciated. Cheers Sorry, it scrolls backwards, or
    >>starts
    >>at the bottom...

    Thanks Jim, tried all you suggested, to no avail. One thing I did notice
    is that it seems to be charging via the USB port, and like I say, it is
    recognised as an MTP device, which according to creative, runs off windows
    native drivers, so there are no drivers on the discs I have. I am
    suspecting it will need to be a registry tweak somewhere, I have played with
    the registry setting permissions as they should be, but still no joy.
    Anything further I can do? Cheers Tony
    Oh, By the way, yeah, it works fine on my wife's laptop, so it seems to
    be something peculiar to this machine. Cheers
    Tony in Oz, Dec 8, 2007
  9. Tony in Oz

    Dermot

    Joined:
    May 29, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    Zen Vision M firmware problem "not connected"

    I had a similar problem.
    Tried to reinstall firmware on my Zen Vision M but could not.
    Kept getting message saying Zen "not connected" - but it was!
    Eventually solved problem by using an older PC which did not have Windows Media 11.
    Apparently there is "an issue" with Windows Media 11.
    The older PC had Windows Media Player 10 installed.
    The Zen connected and firmware was reinstalled in a minute or so.
    Dermot.
    Dermot, May 30, 2008