Creating Word docs with previous text not moving

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Martin, May 6, 2005.

  1. Martin

    Martin Guest

    Hello,

    I've created a number of very simple Word docs where the recipient
    completing them in Word will just keyboard the required info.

    The problem that I have with the docs is that what I've input as text moves
    when the recipient enters info.

    For example, there's a line with the words State and ZIP on it. The words
    are about 10 spaces apart. When the recipient types his two-letter state
    abbreviation after the word "State", "ZIP" moves two spaces to the right.

    Password protecting them didn't prevent my text from moving. Beyond trying
    that, I have no idea how to "cement" my text in place.

    Any help on this matter will be greatly appreciated. Thx.

    Martin

    Martin, May 6, 2005

  2. Martin

    Goonerak Guest

    | Password protecting them didn't prevent my text from moving. Beyond trying
    | that, I have no idea how to "cement" my text in place.

    Take a look at the Word Help on how to set up a form.

    Goonerak, May 6, 2005

  3. Martin

    Arnold Guest

    "Martin" <> wrote in

    > Hello,
    >
    > I've created a number of very simple Word docs where the
    > recipient completing them in Word will just keyboard the
    > required info.
    >
    > The problem that I have with the docs is that what I've input
    > as text moves when the recipient enters info.

    Great place to ask would be at a WORD group. ;o)

    microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

    Arnold, May 6, 2005
  4. Martin

    SgtMinor Guest

    Martin wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I've created a number of very simple Word docs where the recipient
    > completing them in Word will just keyboard the required info.
    >
    > The problem that I have with the docs is that what I've input as text moves
    > when the recipient enters info.
    >
    > For example, there's a line with the words State and ZIP on it. The words
    > are about 10 spaces apart. When the recipient types his two-letter state
    > abbreviation after the word "State", "ZIP" moves two spaces to the right.
    >
    > Password protecting them didn't prevent my text from moving. Beyond trying
    > that, I have no idea how to "cement" my text in place.
    >
    > Any help on this matter will be greatly appreciated. Thx.
    >
    > Martin

    Try the help function (F1) and under Index, search for "form." Scroll
    down to "Form fields in forms" for your answer.

    SgtMinor, May 6, 2005
  5. Martin wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >I've created a number of very simple Word docs where the recipient
    >completing them in Word will just keyboard the required info.
    >
    >The problem that I have with the docs is that what I've input as text moves
    >when the recipient enters info.
    >
    >For example, there's a line with the words State and ZIP on it. The words
    >are about 10 spaces apart. When the recipient types his two-letter state
    >abbreviation after the word "State", "ZIP" moves two spaces to the right.
    >
    >Password protecting them didn't prevent my text from moving. Beyond trying
    >that, I have no idea how to "cement" my text in place.
    >
    >Any help on this matter will be greatly appreciated. Thx.
    >
    >Martin

    who cares

    Osman Ottoman, May 6, 2005
  6. Martin

    Brian G Guest

    Martin wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I've created a number of very simple Word docs where the recipient
    > completing them in Word will just keyboard the required info.
    >
    > The problem that I have with the docs is that what I've input as text
    > moves when the recipient enters info.
    >
    > For example, there's a line with the words State and ZIP on it. The
    > words are about 10 spaces apart. When the recipient types his
    > two-letter state abbreviation after the word "State", "ZIP" moves two
    > spaces to the right.
    >
    > Password protecting them didn't prevent my text from moving. Beyond
    > trying that, I have no idea how to "cement" my text in place.
    >
    > Any help on this matter will be greatly appreciated. Thx.
    >
    > Martin

    Try clicking Tables and Insert table and then have a play around with it to
    get the formatting you want.

    Brian G

    Brian G

    Brian G, May 6, 2005
  7. Martin

    pcbutts1 Guest

    From MS help

    On the Standard toolbar (toolbar: A bar with buttons and options that you
    use to carry out commands. To display a toolbar, click Customize on the
    Tools menu, and then click the Toolbars tab.), click New Blank Document .
    Add the text or graphics you want. For example, enter the questions you want
    answered, and list the available choices.
    To insert a text box where users can enter their responses, click the
    document, and then click Text Form Field on the Forms toolbar. If you need
    more space, you can insert multiple text boxes side by side.
    To insert check boxes that list choices, such as Yes and No, click the
    document, and then click Check Box Form Field on the Forms toolbar.

    Save the form.

    pcbutts1, May 6, 2005
  8. Martin wrote:
    > Hello,

    > I've created a number of very simple Word docs where the recipient
    > completing them in Word will just keyboard the required info.

    > The problem that I have with the docs is that what I've input as text moves
    > when the recipient enters info.

    > For example, there's a line with the words State and ZIP on it. The words
    > are about 10 spaces apart. When the recipient types his two-letter state
    > abbreviation after the word "State", "ZIP" moves two spaces to the right.

    Of course it does -- they're typing in "insert" mode. Instruct them,
    in your document, to switch to "overstrike" mode by hitting the Insert
    key, which toggles between the two modes.

    That will confuse them, because they're Windows users. :)

    Basically, you're using the wrong tool. You want a form.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Blinky the Shark, May 6, 2005
  9. Martin

    Martin Guest

    Thanks to all who replied. Much appreciated as always!

    Martin

    Martin, May 11, 2005
  10. Martin

    SgtMinor Guest

    Martin wrote:

    > Thanks to all who replied. Much appreciated as always!
    >
    > Martin

    So how did you resolve the issue?

    --
    "Inquiring Minds Want To Know"