    Grateful for any help - I did a newsgroup search, but haven't found
    any useful hints so far.

    Joachim

    Joachim, Feb 10, 2007

  2. Joachim

    Snapper Guest

    On 10 Feb 2007 08:37:36 -0800, "Joachim" <> wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >
    >I recently bought a BBC dvd which only has English subtitles (for the
    >hearing impaired). Is anyone aware of a method to
    >
    >* rip these subtitles from the dvd (retaining the original timeslots,
    >preferably)
    >* edit these subtitles (in this case, translating them using some kind
    >of word processor)
    >* merge film, audio and the (edited) subtitles again onto a blanc
    >disc?
    >
    >Grateful for any help - I did a newsgroup search, but haven't found
    >any useful hints so far.
    >
    >Joachim

    I may not have all the answers (correct answers) but here are options:

    Demux the DVD into its elementary streams (ES). To do this, go to
    http://www.videohelp.com and under 'Tools' at the top search for
    Pgcdemux or VOBEdit (there are others). Demuxing will give you video,
    audio and subtitles (if you choose to). This is not a lengthily
    process if dealing with IFO and VOB files. While you are at videohelp
    search for subtitleworkshop also.

    I don't know any word processor that will translate the subtitles for
    you but I suggest you go to one of the sites below and search for the
    subtitle in the language of your choice.

    http://divxstation.com/subtitles.asp
    http://subtitles.images.o2.cz/
    http://www.opensubtitles.org/en
    http://www.subtitlesbox.com/

    Use subtitleworkshop to make any changes to your new found subtitle.
    It is a wonderful program but with too many options to try and explain
    here.

    To merge everything back together again you will need an authoring
    program. I only use the expensive ones (Abobe Encore and DVD LabPro)
    but there is probably something at videohelp that you can also use.

    There may be an easier way to do what you want to do but I am unaware
    of any.
    Good luck

    Snapper, Feb 10, 2007

  3. Joachim

    Joachim Guest

    Thanks. I'll give it a try as soon as possible.

    Joachim

    Joachim, Feb 11, 2007
  4. Joachim

    Joachim Guest

    Hi,

    I'm getting there - slowly but surely. Using DVD Encrypter and DVD
    shrink, I've ripped the dvd to my hard disk. Next issue: there are
    no pre-formatted subtitles available over the internet. However, the
    DVD itself contains a set of subtitles (English for the hearing
    impaired). If I were able to open those as a separate file in
    SubtitleWorkshop, I could translate them myself and subsequently save
    the file after having overwritten the orginal subtitles. Problem: I
    can't locate the file containing those original titles - DVD Shrink
    only gives .bup, .vob and .ifo files. Any suggestions?

    Thanks in advance.

    Joachim

    Joachim, Feb 17, 2007
  5. Joachim

    Bill's News Guest

    "Joachim" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm getting there - slowly but surely. Using DVD Encrypter
    > and DVD
    > shrink, I've ripped the dvd to my hard disk. Next issue:
    > there are
    > no pre-formatted subtitles available over the internet.
    > However, the
    > DVD itself contains a set of subtitles (English for the
    > hearing
    > impaired). If I were able to open those as a separate file in
    > SubtitleWorkshop, I could translate them myself and
    > subsequently save
    > the file after having overwritten the orginal subtitles.
    > Problem: I
    > can't locate the file containing those original titles - DVD
    > Shrink
    > only gives .bup, .vob and .ifo files. Any suggestions?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Joachim

    I have occasionally pulled the American subtitles out of British
    movies, so that I could understand what was being mumbled on
    screen by those playing aristocracy ;-0)

    I use SubRip
    (http://www.digital-digest.com/software/download.php?sid=1045&ssid=0&did=1),
    an OCR symbol learning program which creates an editable text
    file.

    I would not call its interface intuitive, but it's also not
    difficult to figure it out.

    Since you're going to translate the text you extract, you'll not
    need to go thru the extra steps of resolving confused characters
    (some of which have been operator error as well as OCR misfires)
    and spell checking.

    In the case of SubRip, you just point it to the first VOB.

    Bill's News, Feb 17, 2007
  6. Joachim

    Snapper Guest

    On 17 Feb 2007 02:48:35 -0800, "Joachim" <> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I'm getting there - slowly but surely. Using DVD Encrypter and DVD
    >shrink, I've ripped the dvd to my hard disk. Next issue: there are
    >no pre-formatted subtitles available over the internet. However, the
    >DVD itself contains a set of subtitles (English for the hearing
    >impaired). If I were able to open those as a separate file in
    >SubtitleWorkshop, I could translate them myself and subsequently save
    >the file after having overwritten the orginal subtitles. Problem: I
    >can't locate the file containing those original titles - DVD Shrink
    >only gives .bup, .vob and .ifo files. Any suggestions?
    >
    >Thanks in advance.
    >
    >Joachim

    This may not be the best way to extract subtitles but it is the method
    I have used for quite awhile.

    Go to http://www.videohelp.com and under 'TOOLS' look for the
    following programs:
    PgcDemux
    http://www.videohelp.com/tools?tool...erby=Name&hits=50&convert=&dvdauthorfeatures=

    and DVDSubEdit
    http://www.videohelp.com/tools?tool...erby=Name&hits=50&convert=&dvdauthorfeatures=

    Run PgcDemux and input the VTS_????.IFO file and select an output
    folder. Keep the 'Mode' by PGC. Since you are concerned with only
    the subtitles the only 'Options' you'll need is 'Demux all subpic
    streams'. A 'Domain' of Titles is all I use. Hit the 'Process!'
    button. Your output file will have an extension of *.SUP. I forget
    what the filename will be.

    Next run DVDSubEdit and under 'File' select 'Open .SUP file'. Enter
    you just created .SUP file. It will probably ask you for an IFO file
    also but it is not needed. In the lower right hand corner click the
    'Run OCR' button. When the process is complete click the 'Save as
    ..srt' button and specify a file name.

    You now have a text file (.SRT) that you can edit in Notepad or MS
    Word. All you need to do is open the new .SRT file in two Notepads or
    two MS Words, using one as original and the other for your modified
    language file, then saving it under a different name.

    Some folks use SubRip to do the above but I have no luck using it most
    of the time. The OCR in DVDSubEdit works better, IMO and you do not
    have to tell it how to convert.

    There may be easier ways to do what I described above but this method
    works best for me.

    Good luck.

    Snapper, Feb 18, 2007
  7. Joachim

    Joachim Guest

    Thanks for all the advice. I now have a .txt file which contains the
    title numbers, the time line and and the text I want to use. I used
    SubRip to overwrite the original titles. The end result looks like
    this:

    1
    00:05:35,773 --> 00:05:40,722
    Dit is één van de koudste plekken op aarde.
    De zuidpool.

    2
    00:05:40,893 --> 00:05:45,648
    Het kwik kan zakken tot 50 graden onder het vriespunt.

    3
    00:05:45,813 --> 00:05:51,171
    Zonder dit speciale pak,
    zou ik in enkele minuten doodvriezen.

    etc.

    The file has also been saved as an .srt file. Strangely enough,
    Subtitle Workshop keeps telling me it's unsupported or a bad file.
    How do I proceed from here? Sorry to keep bothering you with these
    (probably stupid) questions, but there don't seem to be that many
    manuals about to deal with this sort of thing.

    Cordially,

    Joachim

    Joachim, Feb 18, 2007
  8. Joachim

    Snapper Guest

    On 18 Feb 2007 12:33:44 -0800, "Joachim" <> wrote:

    >Thanks for all the advice. I now have a .txt file which contains the
    >title numbers, the time line and and the text I want to use. I used
    >SubRip to overwrite the original titles. The end result looks like
    >this:
    >
    >1
    >00:05:35,773 --> 00:05:40,722
    >Dit is één van de koudste plekken op aarde.
    >De zuidpool.
    >
    >2
    >00:05:40,893 --> 00:05:45,648
    >Het kwik kan zakken tot 50 graden onder het vriespunt.
    >
    >3
    >00:05:45,813 --> 00:05:51,171
    >Zonder dit speciale pak,
    >zou ik in enkele minuten doodvriezen.
    >
    >etc.
    >
    >The file has also been saved as an .srt file. Strangely enough,
    >Subtitle Workshop keeps telling me it's unsupported or a bad file.
    >How do I proceed from here? Sorry to keep bothering you with these
    >(probably stupid) questions, but there don't seem to be that many
    >manuals about to deal with this sort of thing.
    >
    >Cordially,
    >
    >Joachim

    In the past I have had subtitleworkshop tell me the same thing,
    invalid format. Open the file in Notepad and do a 'Save As…'. At the
    bottom of Notepad there will be an 'Encoding…' drop down box. Select
    ANSI from the options and then try to load the file into
    subtitleworkshop again.

    The sample you supplied looks like what a .SRT file is supposed to
    look like as far as I can tell. Having a file with the wrong encoding
    format has always been the reason for me getting the error message you
    are getting.

    I hope that helps.
    Good luck

    Snapper, Feb 19, 2007
  9. Joachim

    Joachim Guest

    It did the trick - thanks for that. I now get Subtitle Workshop to
    load the file, but I only get the (correct) time slots on screen, the
    'text' column stays blank. How do I proceed from here?

    Thanks in advance.

    Joachim

    Joachim, Feb 19, 2007
  10. Joachim

    Joachim Guest

    Got that to work, too. Time slots and text ok.

    Joachim, Feb 20, 2007
  11. Joachim

    Joachim Guest

    Next issue: I'm trying to synch the titles with the movie in
    SubtitleWorkshop ('video preview mode'). It works like a charm, but
    the .vob files created by DVDShrink have cut up the movie very
    unevenly, whereas the subtitles are one continuous file.

    In other words, I can only synch the first half hour or so, and then
    I'd need to open the next video file, but that would reset the timing
    to 00, making the synch efforts useless.

    I've tried to have Workshop open the continuous video directly from
    the dvd, but for some reason or other, it won't do that. Any
    suggestions to solve this one?

    Thanks in advance.

    Joachim

    Joachim, Feb 20, 2007
  12. Joachim

    Snapper Guest

    On 20 Feb 2007 08:30:25 -0800, "Joachim" <> wrote:

    >Next issue: I'm trying to synch the titles with the movie in
    >SubtitleWorkshop ('video preview mode'). It works like a charm, but
    >the .vob files created by DVDShrink have cut up the movie very
    >unevenly, whereas the subtitles are one continuous file.
    >
    >In other words, I can only synch the first half hour or so, and then
    >I'd need to open the next video file, but that would reset the timing
    >to 00, making the synch efforts useless.
    >
    >I've tried to have Workshop open the continuous video directly from
    >the dvd, but for some reason or other, it won't do that. Any
    >suggestions to solve this one?
    >
    >Thanks in advance.
    >
    >Joachim

    I don't have a good answer for you because I always work form
    downloaded AVI files and then I convert them to DVD format (IFO,VOB)
    and then I demux the VOBs which gives me a video file (m2v), an audio
    file (ac3) and a subtitle file (sup). I then run these through an
    author program. I always sync my subtitles with the original AVI file
    using subtitleworkshop.

    I can think of two things to try. First find a program that will join
    all your VOB files into one (VOBEdit perhaps) or secondly, convert
    your VOB files into an AVI file (AutoGK) and then try to sync using he
    AVI file in subtitleworkshop.

    I'm sure there must be an easier way to do what you want done but I am
    at a loss as to what it is.

    Again, good luck

    Snapper, Feb 20, 2007