Creating Smart Keywords for Mozilla Firebird (using Quick Searches)

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Who, Dec 5, 2003.

  1. Who

    Who Guest

    A "Smart Keyword' is actually a regular bookmark with a keyword set so
    you can access it quickly and a 'gap' in the URL for text from the
    address bar to be put in (the gap is a %s). At any point where there
    is a "%s" in the bookmarked URL the contents of the address bar will
    be put in there (minus the keyword itself) when the keyword is typed
    followed by some letters, words or characters

    Bookmark (in Quick Searches folder):
    "http://groups.google.com/groups?q=%s" with the keyword "group"
    Text in address bar:
    [group mozilla firebird smart keywords]
    the URL firebird will 'see' is:
    "http://groups.google.com/groups?q=mozilla firebird smart keywords"

    ******How to add a 'Smart Keyword'******

    * Add a new bookmark (ideally in the Quick Searches folder)
    * Open the Bookmarks Manager: Bookmarks-->Manage Bookmarks.
    * Move this bookmark to the 'Quick Searches' folder (if it's not
    already there) Note: this stage is simply to keep bookmarks organised
    - not necessary for functionality
    * Right click on the bookmark-->Properies
    * Give it a Keyword. This is what you will use to 'call' the bookmark

    To make it a 'real' 'Smart Keyword' you need to edit the URL to
    include a %s somewhere. The best way to find where to do this is to go
    to the search engine or site you want to use:

    * Do a search on that site for an obscure phrase (to establish the
    search syntax of that site)
    * Look at the new URL and find the obscure search terms you entered.
    EG:
    http://www.imdb.com
    * search for abcd1234 (use the 'new search feature for simplicity)
    Search's/new URL: http://www.imdb.com/find?q=abcd1234
    * In the URL replace 'abcd1234' with '%s' (no quotes) but don not push
    return
    * Bookmark the URL
    * Give the bookmark a keyword as above (eg film)

    Then to search for any film type in the address bar:
    film [the film you want to search]
    the URL will become: http://www.imdb.com/find?q=[the film you want to
    search]
    without the brackets in both cases

    Note: to find which quick searches Mozilla has bilt in look in the
    quick searchs folder an look at the keywords (using the bookmark
    manager)

    This is undoubtedly one of the best features of firebird...pity theres
    no info on the site as yet!

    Hope this helps
    Who
    Who, Dec 5, 2003

  2. Who

    A Hess Guest

    Somewhere around 12/5/03 12:06 PM, Who typed wildly with reckless abandon:
    > A "Smart Keyword' is actually a regular bookmark with a keyword set so
    > you can access it quickly and a 'gap' in the URL for text from the
    > address bar to be put in (the gap is a %s). At any point where there
    > is a "%s" in the bookmarked URL the contents of the address bar will
    > be put in there (minus the keyword itself) when the keyword is typed
    > followed by some letters, words or characters

    [snip]
    > This is undoubtedly one of the best features of firebird...pity theres
    > no info on the site as yet!
    >
    > Hope this helps
    > Who

    I've been using this for quite some time now. It really is a great
    feature. I have all the googles, dictionary, thesaurus, IMdb and Ebay
    searches, among others. makes finding stuff REAL easy. Aron

    --
    Behind every good computer -- is a jumble of wires 'n stuff.
    A Hess, Dec 6, 2003