Creating GPT RAID volume in Windows XP Pro x64

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Hagop, Nov 8, 2008.

  1. Hagop

    Hagop Guest

    I bought a Syba SATA II NCQ Host Controller Card with RAID support and four
    Western Digital 1 TB (actually 931 GB - liars!) hard drives. I created a
    RAID array according to the controller's instructions. I am unable to get
    Windows XP Pro x64 to initialize the RAID array.

    My hardware:
    Tyan Thunder K8WE 2895 system board
    Two AMD Opteron 248 2.2 GHz processors
    ATI Radeon x600 graphics card
    Syba SATA II NCQ Host Controller Card
    Dual IDE controller card (slated for retirement)
    Multiple hard drives, two optical drives

    The system recognized the Syba card when inserted in any of the four PCI
    slots (three PCI-X and one PCI 32 bit.) However, the card's POST utility
    found the attached hard drives only when the card was installed in slot 2
    (the PCI 32 bit slot) and didn't find the drives when the card was inserted
    in any of the three PCI-X slots. I didn't try to troubleshoot this further
    when the card appeared to work as desired in slot 2. The card's installation
    instructions do not specify what type of PCI slot is required for
    compatibility.

    I followed the controller's instructions to create the RAID array using its
    POST utility. The POST utility recognizes the four drives and creates a
    2,794 GB RAID array. Windows boots and sees the array. Because Windows can't
    initialize an MFS volume greater than 2 TB, my only option to initialize
    this drive is to use the GUID partition table (GPT) partition style. The
    FAQs I found at http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/storage/GPT_FAQ.mspx
    and http://support.microsoft.com/kb/302873/en-us don't give installation or
    troubleshooting instructions. As far as I can tell, I'm doing what I should,
    but Windows isn't cooperating.

    In Windows' Disk Management console, I see the drive array. It reads:

    Disk 5
    Unknown
    2794.53 GB
    Not initialized

    When I right-click it and select "Initialize Disk," I randomly get one of
    the following two outcomes:

    1) Sometimes the partition is split into two, the first being 2048.00 GB
    (Unallocated) and the second 746.53 GB (Unallocated.) I can then create a
    new volume in the first (2048.00 GB) partition, but it never finishes
    initializing (the hourglass never ends.) I quit and restart the Disk
    Management console. I go to format the partition and get an error message
    that reads, "The operation was canceled due to an internal error."

    2) Sometimes I get an error that reads, "The operation did not complete.
    Check the System Event Log for more information on the error." When I look
    in the System Event Log, I see that no error has been logged.

    Regardless, I am unable to initialize my GPT volume. I am not using this
    volume as my system disk. I have a dedicated single drive for that function.
    I am successfully booting to that disk. This is a data drive. I have tried
    Google. Searching for "GPT RAID Windows XP Pro x64" didn't provide me the
    answers I sought.

    Questions:
    1) Does Windows XP Pro x64 support GPT volumes with Opteron processors?
    2) Are there instructions for how to get my RAID array to work in Windows XP
    Pro x64?
    3) Could the PCI slot I'm using have something to do with the problem I'm
    experiencing?
    4) Do I have to change something in my system's BIOS?
    5) Am I missing something else that's relevant?

    Hagop, Nov 8, 2008

    http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/storage/GPT-on-x64.mspx

    >2) Are there instructions for how to get my RAID array to work in Windows
    >XP
    >Pro x64?

    Well, if it's showing up in Disk Management, then that's "working".

    >3) Could the PCI slot I'm using have something to do with the problem I'm
    >experiencing?
    >4) Do I have to change something in my system's BIOS?
    >5) Am I missing something else that's relevant?

    Are you using the latest SIL BIOS/Firmware and Drivers?

    http://www.siliconimage.com/support/downloadresults.aspx?pid=28&bios=0&drivers=1&sataraid=0

    AFAICT, you want driver v1.5.15.0 and the associated BIOS and Utilities
    (links given against that driver).

    --
    Steve Foster [SBS MVP]
    ---------------------------------------

    Steve Foster [SBS MVP], Nov 8, 2008

  3. Hagop

    Hagop Guest

    The link you provided was for the SiI3114 card. I'm using a SiI3124 card. The
    latest drivers for the SiI3124 are version 1.5.11, which I am using.

    http://www.siliconimage.com/support/supportsearchresults.aspx?pid=27&cid=3&ctid=2&osid=8&

    In Device Manager:
    - SCSI and RAID controllers
    Silicon Image SiI 3124 SoftRaid 5 Controller
    Flash BIOS tab:
    BIOS Version 6.3.18 (I've tried both 6.3.18 and 6.4.09)
    Driver tab:
    Si3124r5.sys file version 1.5.11.0
    SiWinAcc.sys file version 1.0.0.11
    SilSupp.cpl file version 1.0.11.0

    Any other thoughts?

    Hagop, Nov 17, 2008
  4. Hagop wrote:

    >The link you provided was for the SiI3114 card. I'm using a SiI3124 card.
    >The
    >latest drivers for the SiI3124 are version 1.5.11, which I am using.

    Ah, I obviously found the wrong Syba controller when doing a quick driver
    hunt with Google. Hopefully, it did at least help you to be sure you were
    using the right drivers.

    >Any other thoughts?

    You might try using DISKPART at the command prompt to wipe the drive
    clean, and then set it to GPT.

    CMD> DISKPART
    DISKPART> LIST DISK
    <list of physical disks>
    DISKPART> SELECT DISK <number of the disk drive you want to GPT>
    DISKPART> CLEAN
    DISKPART> CONVERT GPT
    DISKPART> EXIT

    And then try to use Disk Management to make the partitions/volumes you
    want (or do that with DISKPART too).

    --
    Steve Foster [SBS MVP]

    Steve Foster [SBS MVP], Nov 17, 2008