    which I don't know what that means. Next I am suppose to assign an IP
    address to the VLAN. What is this IP for? Is it the gateway IP?

    Thanks in advance.
    GM, Jan 30, 2004

  2. GM

    jeff c Guest

    "GM" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I have (1) 6509 with an msfc
    > module and we are using eigrp (which was specified already)and all my
    > nodes are on the 10.10.32.0 network. Want to create some VLANs based
    > on the floors and IDF closets. The first VLAN I want to create is for
    > the 10.10.47.0/24 network. Not sure what to next step is.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    I try to name (VlanID) my VLANs in relation to the IP subnet that is being
    used on them. So for your case I would connect to the MSFC and enter these
    commands...

    interface Vlan47
    ip address 10.10.47.1 255.255.255.0
    no shut

    Then if you are running your 6500 in hybrid mode you will have to set up the
    Vlan on the switch supervisor like so...

    set vlan 47 name OneWordWhatever type ethernet mtu 1500 said 100047 state
    active

    some of that line is optional like the MTU and SAID but that is what shows
    up in the config on my switch.

    Good luck...
    jc
    jeff c, Jan 30, 2004