    to match video parameters (color temperature, brightness, contrast).

    Thanks,

    Ray
    Ray K, Jul 23, 2009

  2. Ray K

    Netmask Guest

    Ray K wrote:
    > I have videos on my hard drive in a variety of formats - flv, avi, mp4,
    > mpeg, wmv - that I'd like to put on a single DVD, as separate chapters.
    > Is there any program (preferably freeware) that will directly handle all
    > these file types without first having to convert them to some common
    > format?
    >
    > If not, any recommendations for a freeware converter? What's the most
    > widely used common format?
    >
    > Finally, the audio levels on the various files vary widely. What kind of
    > program do I need to adjust just the audio levels? I'm NOT going to try
    > to match video parameters (color temperature, brightness, contrast).
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Ray

    IMO VSO ConvertXtoDVD is really good for handling all manner of formats.
    It's not free but it is not expensive at about $60. You can download a
    trial version. There is an old free version but it doesn't handle as
    many file types and it really isn't very good in comparison the latest
    version.

    http://www.vso-software.fr/products/convert_x_to_dvd/

    With the audio levels it depends on how complex a procedure you want to
    involve yourself in but basically you need to "normalise" the track.
    Once again ConvertXtoDVD allows you to boost the audio level if needed.
    Netmask, Jul 23, 2009

  3. Ray K

    Ray K Guest

    Netmask

    Thanks for the lead.

    I don't know why I had so much trouble opening your message, using
    either Thunderbird or Outlook Express. Using Thunderbird, I had to open
    the message in a new pane.

    Ray
    Ray K, Jul 23, 2009
  4. Ray K

    Ray K Guest

    Re: Netmask

    Ray K wrote:
    > Thanks for the lead.
    >
    > I don't know why I had so much trouble opening your message, using
    > either Thunderbird or Outlook Express. Using Thunderbird, I had to open
    > the message in a new pane.
    >
    > Ray

    All of a sudden, your message started opening okay. Maybe an earlier
    problem with my news server.

    Anyway, I've tried ConvertXtoDVD. I attempted to make a DVD of four
    videos, three flvs and one mp4 file. Total time, about 17 minutes. The
    program was easy to use, and fairly intuitive, although the conversion
    seemed to take a very long time (23 minutes from start of conversion
    until the Burn button appeared). (I don't know how this compares to any
    other similar programs.) Burning time was fast: under four minutes.

    Only problem is that the last video didn't appear on the finished disc.
    No, it wasn't the odd mp4 file, but one of the flvs, and it wasn't the
    longest or shortest video.

    So I started the project all over again, same videos but what had been
    the missing fourth video the first attempt was now in the number 1
    position. Again, only the first three videos appeared on the final DVD.
    So the problem is, why can't I get more than three videos on the DVD?

    Ray
    Ray K, Jul 23, 2009
  5. Ray K

    Ray K Guest

    Re: Netmask

    > This may seem a silly question, Ray, but how are you determining
    > that there are only three?
    > Are you looking at the VTS files on the disc or simply a menu
    > produced by ConvertX? Did you watch the conversion take place
    > and/or read the log?
    >
    > Did you investigate ConvertX's menu system and options?

    All I did was look at the screen of my TV. Only the first three
    appeared. When I put the DVD into my computer, my PowerDVD player also
    showed only three titles.

    When I use Windows Explorer to examine the Video_TS folder, it shows
    four ifo files, four bup files, and four pairs of vob files. So the
    problem becomes, why doesn't the fourth file appear in the menu?

    I'm using all the ConvertX default settings. I looked at the
    Settings/DVD Menu and Settings/Chapters tabs. Nothing obvious that
    restricts the number of videos appearing in the disc menu.

    Thanks for your comment and pointing me in a new direction.

    Ray
    Ray K, Jul 24, 2009
  6. Ray K

    Ray K Guest

    Re: Netmask

    CLicker wrote:
    > "Ray K" <> wrote in message
    >> > This may seem a silly question, Ray, but how are you

    >> determining
    >>> that there are only three?
    >>> Are you looking at the VTS files on the disc or simply a menu
    >>> produced by ConvertX? Did you watch the conversion take
    >>> place and/or read the log?
    >>>
    >>> Did you investigate ConvertX's menu system and options?

    >> All I did was look at the screen of my TV. Only the first
    >> three appeared. When I put the DVD into my computer, my
    >> PowerDVD player also showed only three titles.
    >>
    >> When I use Windows Explorer to examine the Video_TS folder, it
    >> shows four ifo files, four bup files, and four pairs of vob
    >> files. So the problem becomes, why doesn't the fourth file
    >> appear in the menu?
    >>
    >> I'm using all the ConvertX default settings. I looked at the
    >> Settings/DVD Menu and Settings/Chapters tabs. Nothing obvious
    >> that restricts the number of videos appearing in the disc
    >> menu.
    >>
    >> Thanks for your comment and pointing me in a new direction.
    >>
    >> Ray

    > I use convertx to make dvds from motion jpeg produced by a
    > neighbor's camera. Her clips are usually about 15 seconds, some
    > over 30. I've not yet filled a DVD and we've stacked more than
    > 50 clips this way. convertx's menu, when it excedes the first
    > screenful, always supplies a forward (or reverse) link to the
    >
    > I'm not on the system right now which runs convertx, I think
    > it's the "motion menu wall" option, though others I've tried
    > have supplied the link as well to the next menu page.
    >
    > Convertx has an impressive array of canned menu screens, examine
    > it for larger menus, if you don't see the link on page one.

    There was a second button to the right of the Play button on the menu
    screen. I could have sworn that I clicked on it to see if the menu
    continued on a second screen, which was the case. So chalk it up to
    operator error.

    The default ConvertX menu template is Black Mirror, without any
    indication how many titles would appear on each screen. I changed the
    template to Minimal; now all four titles appear on one screen.

    Thanks again.

    Ray
    Ray K, Jul 24, 2009
  7. Ray K

    Ray K Guest

    Netmask wrote:

    > IMO VSO ConvertXtoDVD is really good for handling all manner of formats.
    > It's not free but it is not expensive at about $60. You can download a
    > trial version. There is an old free version but it doesn't handle as
    > many file types and it really isn't very good in comparison the latest
    > version.
    >
    > http://www.vso-software.fr/products/convert_x_to_dvd/

    If you go to the company's site here,
    http://www.vso-software.fr/shop.php, the program will cost $49.99.

    However, if you go here,
    http://vso-convertxtodvd.en.softonic.com/ it costs only $33.73 (as of
    July 28, 2009). I paid that amount for the latest version, 3.7.3. The
    key they sent via email works. So the company is legit.

    Great program, with powerful control over the DVD's playing menu options
    and powerful control over just about everything else.

    One minor complaint: A conversion tends to take a long time. If you
    merely want to halt it (so the computer can divert it resources to
    another application for awhile), you can't. Once the conversion starts,
    the only option is to Stop/cancel it, which I think means starting it
    from the beginning when you're done with the other application.

    Anyway, thanks Newmask for the great lead.

    Ray
    Ray K, Aug 4, 2009
  8. Ray K

    David Harper Guest

    "Ray K" <> wrote in message

    <snip>

    > One minor complaint: A conversion tends to take a long time. If you merely
    > want to halt it (so the computer can divert it resources to another
    > application for awhile), you can't. Once the conversion starts, the only
    > option is to Stop/cancel it, which I think means starting it from the
    > beginning when you're done with the other application.

    This is not correct. There is a pause/resume option. I think it is on the
    "Action" menu. I don't have the program in front of me.

    - David Harper
    David Harper, Aug 4, 2009
  9. Ray K

    Netmask Guest

    Ray K wrote:
    > Netmask wrote:
    >
    >> IMO VSO ConvertXtoDVD is really good for handling all manner of
    >> formats. It's not free but it is not expensive at about $60. You can
    >> download a trial version. There is an old free version but it doesn't
    >> handle as many file types and it really isn't very good in comparison
    >> the latest version.
    >>
    >> http://www.vso-software.fr/products/convert_x_to_dvd/

    > If you go to the company's site here,
    > http://www.vso-software.fr/shop.php, the program will cost $49.99.
    >
    > However, if you go here,
    > http://vso-convertxtodvd.en.softonic.com/ it costs only $33.73 (as of
    > July 28, 2009). I paid that amount for the latest version, 3.7.3. The
    > key they sent via email works. So the company is legit.
    >
    > Great program, with powerful control over the DVD's playing menu options
    > and powerful control over just about everything else.
    >
    > One minor complaint: A conversion tends to take a long time. If you
    > merely want to halt it (so the computer can divert it resources to
    > another application for awhile), you can't. Once the conversion starts,
    > the only option is to Stop/cancel it, which I think means starting it
    > from the beginning when you're done with the other application.
    >
    > Anyway, thanks Newmask for the great lead.
    >
    > Ray

    It's quite fast on my machine an i7 Intel processor running Windows7
    avaerage time for a full length movie around 35minutes. 1 hour DVB TV
    episodes about 17 minutes. So a lot is resting on your computer speed.
    Netmask, Aug 5, 2009
  10. Ray K

    Netmask Guest

    CLicker wrote:
    > "Netmask" <> wrote in message
    >> Ray K wrote:

    >>> If you go to the company's site here,
    >>> http://www.vso-software.fr/shop.php, the program will cost
    >>> $49.99.
    >>>
    >>> However, if you go here,
    >>> http://vso-convertxtodvd.en.softonic.com/ it costs only
    >>> $33.73 (as of July 28, 2009). I paid that amount for the
    >>> latest version, 3.7.3. The key they sent via email works. So
    >>> the company is legit.
    >>>
    >>> Great program, with powerful control over the DVD's playing
    >>> menu options and powerful control over just about everything
    >>> else.
    >>>
    >>> One minor complaint: A conversion tends to take a long time.
    >>> If you merely want to halt it (so the computer can divert it
    >>> resources to another application for awhile), you can't. Once
    >>> the conversion starts, the only option is to Stop/cancel it,
    >>> which I think means starting it from the beginning when
    >>> you're done with the other application.
    >>>
    >>> Anyway, thanks Newmask for the great lead.
    >>>
    >>> Ray
    >>>

    >> It's quite fast on my machine an i7 Intel processor running
    >> Windows7 avaerage time for a full length movie around
    >> 35minutes. 1 hour DVB TV episodes about 17 minutes. So a lot
    >> is resting on your computer speed.

    > Out of curiosity, how does your i7 stack up against this
    >
    > http://preview.tinyurl.com/l5ps2s
    >
    > I'm in the market for yet another, faster PC to retire an aging
    > dual core AMD 3800.

    I built my own basically using the following
    components.
    Core i7 920
    2.66GHz, MSI X58 Pro series MS-7522 mainboard
    G.Skill DDR3-1600 3GB kit RAM
    Lite-On SATA 24X DVD Burner
    Palit 9500GT 1024MB w/ HDMI graphics card
    8-channel Sound & gigabyte LAN
    3 x Seagate SATA2 500GB HDD
    Thermaltake Swing RS100 case

    As I have always built my own computers i would never consider Dell or
    any manufactured unit apart from notepads etc..
    Netmask, Aug 6, 2009