    but perhaps I need special software.

    --
    Alasdair.
    Alasdair, Jul 2, 2006

  2. Alasdair

    Noel Paton Guest

    You cannot create an ISO image of a hard drive - by definition, ISO images
    are images of CD or DVD drives.

    If you mean 'how do I image my hard drive to DVD?' the read the help files
    on Nero (I don't think you can do it in the free version)

    You could try BootItNG.... www.booting.com

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2006, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    http://www.crashfixpc.com

    http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    Noel Paton, Jul 2, 2006

  3. Alasdair

    Au79 Guest

    Alasdair wrote:

    > Please, somebody, help. Can someone please tell me how to create an
    > ISO image of my hard drive on to a DVD? I am currently using Nero 6
    > but perhaps I need special software.

    Google for the "dd" command, which is a command included in all Linux
    distros. Afterwards, boot your computer into a Knoppix Live CD and use dd
    to burn an image of your hdd into a dvd.

    Au79, Jul 3, 2006
  4. Alasdair

    Ponder Guest

    Hiya Au79.

    In <news:u3Zpg.8489$> you wrote:

    > Google for the "dd" command, which is a command included in all Linux
    > distros. Afterwards, boot your computer into a Knoppix Live CD and use dd
    > to burn an image of your hdd into a dvd.

    'man dd' tells me the command is to convert and copy a file.

    --
    PGP key ID - DSS:0x2661A952
    Ponder, Jul 3, 2006
  5. Alasdair

    Au79 Guest

    Ponder wrote:

    > Hiya Au79.
    >
    > In <news:u3Zpg.8489$> you wrote:
    >
    >> Google for the "dd" command, which is a command included in all Linux
    >> distros. Afterwards, boot your computer into a Knoppix Live CD and use dd
    >> to burn an image of your hdd into a dvd.

    > 'man dd' tells me the command is to convert and copy a file.

    Creating a hard drive backup

    The main options to be concerned about are if= (input file) and of= (output
    file). By default, dd reads from stdin and writes to stdout. Here is an
    example of a use for dd:

    # dd if=/dev/md0 of=/dev/hda conv=noerror,sync bs=4k

    This command is used often to create a backup of a drive (/dev/md0) directly
    to another hard drive (/dev/hda). This works only if the hard drive has
    enough storage to accommodate the source drive's filesystem. The advantage
    of this is that you do not have to mount the hard drive to make a backup
    and the only reference to hda is in /dev and in the command which is
    usually in a script in cron.

    The option "bs=4k" is used to specify the block size used in the copy. The
    default for the dd command is 512 bytes: use of this small block size can
    result in significantly slower copying. However, the tradeoff with larger
    block sizes is that when an error is encountered, the remainder of the
    block is filled with zero-bytes. So if you increase your block size when
    copying a failing device, you'll lose more data but also spend less time
    trying to read broken sectors. Tools like dd_rescue and dd_rhelp can
    provide a more flexible solution in such cases, combining the speed of a
    large block size for the regions without errors with finer-grained
    block-copies for regions with errors.
    [edit]
    Creating a hard drive backup image

    # dd if=/dev/hda | gzip > /mnt/hdb1/system_drive_backup.img.gz

    Here dd is making an image of the first harddrive, and piping it through the
    gzip compression program. The compressed image is then placed in a file on
    a seperate drive. To reverse the process:

    # gzip -dc /mnt/hdb1/system_drive_backup.img.gz | dd of=/dev/hda

    Here, gzip is decompressing (the -d switch) the file, sending the results to
    stdout (the -c switch), which are piped to dd, and then written
    to /dev/hda.

    http://wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/Dd

    Au79, Jul 3, 2006
  6. Alasdair

    Ponder Guest

    Hiya Au79.

    In <news:n6bqg.6851$> you wrote:

    [Snip]
    > Here dd is making an image of the first harddrive, and piping it through the
    > gzip compression program. The compressed image is then placed in a file on
    > a seperate drive. To reverse the process:

    Ok, fair enough but it's still not an ISO is it?

    --
    PGP key ID - DSS:0x2661A952
    Ponder, Jul 3, 2006
  7. Alasdair

    Ponder Guest

    Hiya Au79.

    In <news:> I wrote:

    > [Snip]
    >> Here dd is making an image of the first harddrive, and piping it through the
    >> gzip compression program. The compressed image is then placed in a file on
    >> a seperate drive. To reverse the process:

    > Ok, fair enough but it's still not an ISO is it?

    Or rather, as the OP is quite likely to be using NTFS, dd isn't going to
    write that back out even though it should be able to read it all to an
    image.

    --
    PGP key ID - DSS:0x2661A952
    Ponder, Jul 3, 2006