Creating an AUTORUN Slide Show with Menu

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by skypilot, Apr 11, 2004.

  1. skypilot

    skypilot Guest

    I need to create a CD-Rom that will autorun to a menu. The menu will then
    allow the user to select various slide shows on the CD.

    Can anyone suggest a shareware or freeware programs that will assist in
    doing this?

    I have tried Pollen Software's Autorun Maestro but find it a little
    difficult to use.

    Thanks

    Brian
    Brian J. Rueger | Hampton Div. of Fire & Rescue | "Who dares wins"
    Lt./Paramedic | Fire Communications Officer | Hampton, VA.
    B.S. Comm/I/SEL Pilot | MSgt, USAF (Ret.) 49199 | NREMT-P
    Check out my home page: http://members.cox.net/brueger
    Some of my photography: http://www.usefilm.com/photographer/34185.html
    "Life's too short to drink LITE beer!"
    skypilot, Apr 11, 2004

  2. skypilot

    Andy Guest

    ---------------

    FlipAlbumĀ® 5 Professional @ http://www.flipalbum.com/
    Andy, Apr 11, 2004

  3. skypilot

    Onno Guest

    skypilot<nospam>@writeme.com wrote in

    > I need to create a CD-Rom that will autorun to a menu. The menu will
    > then allow the user to select various slide shows on the CD.
    >
    > Can anyone suggest a shareware or freeware programs that will assist
    > in doing this?

    You can sort of do this with freeware MyAlbum.

    With MyAlbum you can make an album which contains other albums, let's call
    it a 'superalbum', to separate it from regular albums containing pictures.

    It is very easy to make an autorun CD with MyAlbum opening this
    'superalbum'. This is your menu.
    Open one of the albums and start a slide show of that album.
    Use Ctrl+F4 to close the opened album or Ctrl+Tab to switch back to your
    'superalbum' and open another album and start a slide show.

    http://perso.wanadoo.fr/myalbum/

    --
    Onno
    Onno, Apr 13, 2004
  4. skypilot

    John Navas Guest

    In <> on Sun, 11 Apr 2004 11:04:39
    -0400, skypilot<nospam>@writeme.com wrote:

    >I need to create a CD-Rom that will autorun to a menu. The menu will then
    >allow the user to select various slide shows on the CD.
    >
    >Can anyone suggest a shareware or freeware programs that will assist in
    >doing this?
    >
    >I have tried Pollen Software's Autorun Maestro but find it a little
    >difficult to use.

    You can easily build slide shows with the Windows XP Powertoy, make a menu
    with a simple HTML page, and launch that page with an AUTORUN.INF file, all
    without other tools.

    --
    Best regards,
    John Navas
    John Navas, Apr 14, 2004
  5. "John Navas" <> wrote in message
    > [POSTED TO rec.photo.digital - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

    (snip)

    > You can easily build slide shows with the Windows XP Powertoy, make a menu
    > with a simple HTML page, and launch that page with an AUTORUN.INF file,

    all
    > without other tools.
    >
    > Best regards,
    > John Navas

    ------------

    John,

    I suggested exactly the same thing off-list to the OP. One problem, however,
    is that autorun.inf will ONLY launch an application (e.g. an EXE file) and
    not an HTML page. A general use freeware EXE file for the purpose exists
    that will launch a browser. That EXE is the one specified in the INF file...
    not the file "[any name].html" which will not open directly from
    autorun.inf. It could be a general purpose EXE that does this or a dedicated
    EXE file as constructed for some album apps. One EXE I have tried and that I
    know does work is called "shellexe.exe"

    shellexe.exe and guidance on it's use can be found here:
    (35kb freeware)
    http://www.whirlywiryweb.com/q/shellexe.asp

    The INF file to launch shellexe.exe when the CD is inserted into the CD
    drive is a text file (saved as AUTORUN.TXT) written in notepad and simply
    renamed as "INF". It may contain a number of commands and sub-commands but
    in it's simple form it only launches the EXE which then launches the web
    browser application that the system associates with the HTML file type (e.g.
    "[any name].html") from where one or more albums can be accessed by embedded
    links ("slideshow1.html"; "slideshow2.html"; "slideshow3.html"; ect). The
    first page appearing on the browser "[any name.html"] being the directory
    for the whole CD content beyond that first page.

    The CD directory tree would look like this:

    CD root contains...
    [any name].html
    autorun.inf (e.g the text in this file would be "[autorun] shellexe.exe
    (space)
    any_name.html" --- MUST be the file name that the opening "[any name].html"
    page has)
    shellexe.exe

    CD Root may also contain other files not launched and not named "html":
    e.g. ReadMe files or a Help file

    ....then "[any name].html", that has embedded links of ANY normal kind (from
    text lines,
    buttons, thumbnail images, ect), launches:

    the CD sub-directories...as constructed by Photoshop in my test:
    slideshow 1 (root folder 2 files) = index.html + thumbnail_frames.html
    sub directories (3 folders many files): = pages; images; thumbnails

    slideshow 2 (same form as slideshow 1)
    slideshow 3 (same form as slideshow 1)
    ext,
    ect,

    For Windoz, the whole thing works from a CD exactly like navigating a
    website from the home page - "[any name].html" is that home page. This is a
    rather elegant solution to two problems - multiple file types on the CD and
    moving data from one system to another where the same web browser software
    (e.g. Internet Explorer) may not be present as in the first but where the
    file types can be opened by some application in the second (e.g. Opera).

    In addition to the EXE file there is usually an associated INI file as well
    for some dedicated EXE launchers. Shellexe.exe works without an INI file.

    Last note. File and directory names for HTML purposes as well as all
    sub-directories and within sub-directory file names may NOT contain spaces.
    No blank spaces or, alternatively, separators MUST be used in the naming
    string - usually an underscore ( _ ) or a dash ( - ) are used as separators
    and these may have to be edited in manually. Thus, the directory name "Slide
    Show 1" in ordinary text form should be written as Slide_Show_1" -or-
    "Slide-Show-1" -or- without any spaces..."SlideShow1" ect. in the CD
    directory; and within the sub-directories the individual files such as
    "Image 123456.jpg" MUST be named as "Image_123456.jpg" -or-
    "Image-123456.jpg" -or- again without any spaces "Image123456.jpg" in the
    sub-directory. Only one full stop / period is allowed in the string and that
    is reserved to delineate the (Windoz) file type ( ".jpg" or any other
    selected type). Care must be taken to preserve these file names on writing
    the CD by selecting (in CD properties) "use long file names" and NOT the DOS
    8+3 name system which may truncate e.g. "Image_123456.jpg" to
    "Image_1~.jpg".

    Journalist
    Journalist-North, Apr 14, 2004
  6. skypilot

    John Navas Guest

    In <BD4fc.3149$> on Wed, 14 Apr 2004
    06:12:49 GMT, "Journalist-North" <> wrote:

    >"John Navas" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >(snip)
    >>
    >> You can easily build slide shows with the Windows XP Powertoy, make a menu
    >> with a simple HTML page, and launch that page with an AUTORUN.INF file, all
    >> without other tools.

    >I suggested exactly the same thing off-list to the OP. One problem, however,
    >is that autorun.inf will ONLY launch an application (e.g. an EXE file) and
    >not an HTML page.
    >[SNIP]

    Here's how to launch an HTML page:

    ---AUTORUN.INF------------------------------------
    [autorun]
    ShellExecute=MYPAGE.HTM
    ---AUTORUN.INF------------------------------------

    This works if (and only if) there's an open association for .HTM files.

    --
    Best regards,
    John Navas
    John Navas, Apr 14, 2004
  7. "John Navas" <> wrote in message
    > [POSTED TO rec.photo.digital - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

    (sbip)

    > >I suggested exactly the same thing off-list to the OP. One problem,

    however,
    > >is that autorun.inf will ONLY launch an application (e.g. an EXE file)

    and
    > >not an HTML page.
    > >[SNIP]

    > Here's how to launch an HTML page:
    >
    > ---AUTORUN.INF------------------------------------
    > [autorun]
    > ShellExecute=MYPAGE.HTM
    > ---AUTORUN.INF------------------------------------
    >
    > This works if (and only if) there's an open association for .HTM files.
    >
    > Best regards,
    > John Navas

    -------------

    Yup! I actually tried that on Win98SE as you have written the inf file but
    get the error "Can not open the file - can not find FILE" but by interposing
    the EXE file it opens the htm/html page in MSIE. What seems to be happening
    is that the page is actually written for the web with an "HTML" extension
    and that is not recognised as a Win file type (htm). Shellexe.exe overcomes
    that problem.

    Using the exe file the name string may even be set out in the CD root (I
    believe from the website that provides the exe file, though I haven't tried
    it) without an extension at all. With the exe noted in the preceding message
    ( shellexe.exe ) the file name string alone and without a file extension (
    e.g. "mypage" ) can be opened in a file extension choice sequence (on
    IBM-PC / Win machines) and so the inf may be written, for example, as:

    "[autorun] shellexe.exe mypage.avi mypage.jpg mypage.html mypage.txt"

    It will TRY to open the name string ( "mypage" ) first as an avi but it will
    not open for the obvious reason that does not have an avi header in the
    file; then shellexe.exe it will try to open it as a JPG but of course it is
    not a jpg file either; then the exe will try it as htm/html (in ANY
    available browser with the file association htm or html); but if that fails
    (for lack of a file association or header error or even if, in rare
    instances, there is no browser of any kind installed on the system) it will
    try to open as a txt file - but it will open.

    With the system I suggest you could also do the same with a MSWord file if
    sending the disk to someone without MSWord - the inf could be written as:

    "[autorun] shellexe.exe filename.pdf filename.doc filename.rtf
    filename.txt"

    Again, it is not a PDF so shellexe.exe will next look for the association of
    ..doc type files but if MSWord or a compatible app is not installed it won't
    open; then it will look for rtf associations; and if that fails it will
    finally try to open that MSWord file in plain text

    It works for me, whereas "[autorun] shellexe=mypage.htm" doesn't.

    It's the same kind of problem that happens with the htm extension in
    non-compatible server side apps. One that I know is peculiar in that respect
    is Geocities - and they will error out an htm page but serve up the same
    page when the extension html is applied.

    Got to be smarter then the machine! LOL

    Journalist
    Journalist-North, Apr 14, 2004
  8. skypilot

    John Navas Guest

    In <bobfc.3412$> on Wed, 14 Apr 2004
    13:54:15 GMT, "Journalist-North" <>
    wrote:

    >"John Navas" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >(sbip)
    >>
    >> >I suggested exactly the same thing off-list to the OP. One problem, however,
    >> >is that autorun.inf will ONLY launch an application (e.g. an EXE file) and
    >> >not an HTML page.
    >> >[SNIP]

    >> Here's how to launch an HTML page:
    >>
    >> ---AUTORUN.INF------------------------------------
    >> [autorun]
    >> ShellExecute=MYPAGE.HTM
    >> ---AUTORUN.INF------------------------------------
    >>
    >> This works if (and only if) there's an open association for .HTM files.

    >Yup! I actually tried that on Win98SE as you have written the inf file but
    >get the error "Can not open the file - can not find FILE"

    >[SNIP]
    >It works for me, whereas "[autorun] shellexe=mypage.htm" doesn't.

    Looks like you got my method wrong: It's "ShellExecute=MYPAGE.HTM"
    *not* "shellexe=mypage.htm" (and is on a separate line from [autorun]).
    See <http://makeashorterlink.com/?K4DD32508>.

    My method will work (if done properly) on Win98SE if Microsoft Layer for
    Unicode is installed -- see <http://makeashorterlink.com/?D56E32508>.

    --
    Best regards,
    John Navas
    John Navas, Apr 14, 2004
  9. (snip headers)

    > >"John Navas" <> wrote in message
    > >>

    > >(snip)

    however,

    and

    > >> Here's how to launch an HTML page:
    > >>
    > >> ---AUTORUN.INF------------------------------------
    > >> [autorun]
    > >> ShellExecute=MYPAGE.HTM
    > >> ---AUTORUN.INF------------------------------------
    > >>
    > >> This works if (and only if) there's an open association for .HTM files.

    > >Yup! I actually tried that on Win98SE as you have written the inf file

    but
    > >get the error "Can not open the file - can not find FILE"

    > >[SNIP]
    > >It works for me, whereas "[autorun] shellexe=mypage.htm" doesn't.

    > Looks like you got my method wrong: It's "ShellExecute=MYPAGE.HTM"
    > *not* "shellexe=mypage.htm" (and is on a separate line from [autorun]).
    > See <http://makeashorterlink.com/?K4DD32508>.
    >
    > My method will work (if done properly) on Win98SE if Microsoft Layer for
    > Unicode is installed -- see <http://makeashorterlink.com/?D56E32508>.
    >
    > Best regards,
    > John Navas

    ----------

    OK, I see what you are doing and have checked my OS - the Win SDK (a client
    system scanning) site tells me that MS Layer for Unicode in >MY< system is
    "undefined" - meaning that it is does not have a complete qualified path; is
    not fully updated; or does not contain any or all the required files to
    operate the ShellExecuteEx function.

    The error, in fact, that I get is one of those listed on the MS website you
    point to.

    That also explains, as well, why the exe file "shellexe.exe" does work, as
    that is a workaround exe file doing the same function in the absence of MS
    Layer for Unicode (or where all the required ShellExecuteEx files are not
    available or installed).

    Fair enough.

    Journalist
    Journalist-North, Apr 14, 2004