    Needless to say I have looked for instructions in the help file, with no
    results.
    TIA
    Bryan Jones, May 2, 2007

  2. Bryan Jones

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Bryan Jones wrote:
    > I'm asking for advice on creating an alias, by which I mean an invalid
    > email address. I have tried the 'managing identities' by adding an
    > alternative address,however, clicking on this alternative address and
    > clicking OK and then, writing a message to the group, still gives my
    > genuine address.
    > Needless to say I have looked for instructions in the help file, with no
    > results.
    > TIA

    It would sure help to know what program you're using.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    Ed Mullen, May 2, 2007

  3. Bryan Jones

    Bryan Jones Guest

    Ed Mullen wrote:
    > Bryan Jones wrote:
    >> I'm asking for advice on creating an alias, by which I mean an invalid
    >> email address. I have tried the 'managing identities' by adding an
    >> alternative address,however, clicking on this alternative address and
    >> clicking OK and then, writing a message to the group, still gives my
    >> genuine address.
    >> Needless to say I have looked for instructions in the help file, with
    >> no results.
    >> TIA

    > It would sure help to know what program you're using.

    Good point, sorry about that, I've been so involved with TB that I
    forgot that there are other Mozilla programmes.
    However, it is Mozilla Thunderbird which I am using as my mailer.
    Bryan Jones, May 2, 2007
  4. Bryan Jones

    Guest

    On May 2, 9:51 am, Bryan Jones <> wrote:
    > I'm asking for advice on creating an alias, by which I mean an invalid
    > email address. I have tried the 'managing identities' by adding an
    > alternative address,however, clicking on this alternative address and
    > clicking OK and then, writing a message to the group, still gives my
    > genuine address.

    When you write your message, did you click on the From and change it?
    The from is the one that contains your real address. If you click on
    it, you should get a drop down and you can select other addresses.
    So, did you click on it?

    > Needless to say I have looked for instructions in the help file, with no
    > results.
    > TIA
    , May 2, 2007
  5. Bryan Jones

    bryan Guest

    wrote:
    > On May 2, 9:51 am, Bryan Jones <> wrote:
    >> I'm asking for advice on creating an alias, by which I mean an invalid
    >> email address. I have tried the 'managing identities' by adding an
    >> alternative address,however, clicking on this alternative address and
    >> clicking OK and then, writing a message to the group, still gives my
    >> genuine address.

    > When you write your message, did you click on the From and change it?
    > The from is the one that contains your real address. If you click on
    > it, you should get a drop down and you can select other addresses.
    > So, did you click on it?

    I am busy kicking myself because, like so many things, it's so simple,
    when you know how.
    Many thanks for your advice and, of course, my other addresses are there
    and it does work.

    bryan, May 2, 2007
  6. Bryan Jones

    Guest

    On May 2, 11:17 am, bryan <> wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > On May 2, 9:51 am, Bryan Jones <> wrote:
    > >> I'm asking for advice on creating an alias, by which I mean an invalid
    > >> email address. I have tried the 'managing identities' by adding an
    > >> alternative address,however, clicking on this alternative address and
    > >> clicking OK and then, writing a message to the group, still gives my
    > >> genuine address.

    > > When you write your message, did you click on the From and change it?
    > > The from is the one that contains your real address. If you click on
    > > it, you should get a drop down and you can select other addresses.
    > > So, did you click on it?

    > I am busy kicking myself because, like so many things, it's so simple,
    > when you know how.
    > Many thanks for your advice and, of course, my other addresses are there
    > and it does work.

    its usually the simple ones that are the hardest, right. ;-) The
    ones right under your nose are the hardest.

    As the old saying goes: you can't see the forest because the fricken
    trees are in the way! :)
    , May 2, 2007