Creating a Workgroup

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Jeff Strickland, Sep 8, 2008.

  1. I have a wireless system and want to share resources and files -- I'd like
    to operate a scanner from a different computer, but I'll take operating the
    scanner from the computer it's connected to then save the file across the
    workgroup to a different computer. I also have a mix of ink jet and laser
    printers, and would like to print to any printer from any machine.

    My machines are a mix of XP Home and XP Pro, and one is a Vista machine.

    At one point, I had set my network so I could do all of the stuff I wanted,
    except the Vista machine did not play well through all of the stuff. I don't
    recall exactly what features and functions balked, but I got all of the
    stuff I wanted across the XP machines, and most of it with the Vista
    machine.

    My network has for some reason become unstable, most of everything does not
    work, and the stuff that did work vis a vis the Vista machine has completely
    stopped working.

    This should be easy. I think I just have to create a new Workgroup. The
    Vista machine is connected wirelessly, but I have an XP box that is wired to
    the router. My wireless machines are the Vista box, an XP Pro box, and two
    laptops that are also XP Home. The wired box is also XP Home.

    I think that I do not understand network architecture, and need help with
    this.

    I always thought one box acted as a server, and the others were all clients.
    This is apparently a peer to peer, and not what I have. Can somebody give a
    high level overview of what architecture I have? I think I'm making this all
    far too complicated ...

    I've got fiber optic service that comes to a converter that feeds a CAT5
    cable to my wireless router. I have one box plugged into one of the 4 ports
    on the router, and 4 more machines that connect through wireless technology.
    I'm using the Linksys 802.11n PCI adaptors in the two PCs, and whatever the
    wireless is in the laptops (probably 802.11g). The connection to the router
    is all good, all machines can get to the internet. But the Workgroup breaks
    down and I'm having trouble keeping it going but do not know why.

    My router came from the service provider, and contains a coax connection
    that lets my TV sets get out to the provider. This facilitates PPV and the
    on-screen channel guide.

    Jeff Strickland, Sep 8, 2008

  2. "boat987" <> wrote in message

> [...]

    > I"m an MCSE but on NT 4.0. In computer years, that's centuries ago. The
    > latest I use is W2000Pro on two towers and XP on a laptop. They all see
    > each
    > other and get the internet. The laptop is wireless. The Linksys is a good
    > router. What I think might be happening is the naming of the workgroup. It
    > should be the same on all machines. Unless you installed a version of
    > "server" as the OS, you can't have much else except a "workgroup". Most
    > people just name the group workgroup. I also suspect that you haven't set
    > up
    > shares and NTFS permissions. You need to do that to share files and see
    > other drives on your network. I'm not too familiar with XP or Vista since
    > I've kind of retired from networking. There are many kind people here and
    > hope they can help you better. Good luck.

    Sorry, my wireless adaptors are Linksys, the router is from Verizon and I
    have no clue as to what it is -- I assume it is a proprietary device because
    it has a coax connection on it as well as the CAT5 connections that would be
    expected.

    My workgroup worked, mostly, for quite a while. My router goes south
    relatively frequently, and I have to reboot it. When I reboot the router,
    the Internet connections all come back but the workgroup is hosed up.

    I share the respective drives and connected printers, but today, I'm having
    troubles. I think I'm at a place where I recreate an entirely new workgroup
    with all new names for each machine.

    Jeff Strickland, Sep 8, 2008

  3. Re: Creating a Workgroup -- UPDATE

    Turns out the Default Gateway's IP address was different for the wireless
    devices than for the wired one. The result was that the wireless stuff could
    get out to the 'net, but could not talk to stuff inside the house.

    Anyhow, the Reset button on the back of the router set it back to factory
    defaults, and reassigned the Default Gateway so now all of my stuff can talk
    to each other. The Vista machine still has personality issues that make it
    balk at playing well with the others.

    I have an old HP LaserJet 4L that the Vista machine will not talk to, and
    I'm starting to think the problem is that there are no drivers for that old
    printer. Vista will share its printer with everybody else, and it shares all
    of the other printers, juts not the LaserJet 4L.

    Jeff Strickland, Sep 20, 2008