    any suggestions ?

    thx

    , Aug 25, 2008

  2. smlunatick Guest

    On Aug 25, 7:21 pm, wrote:
    > i would like to create a wifizone around my house
    > that covers seamless access
    > i would like to use a gigabit N-router and two AccessPoints
    >
    > how to proceed and which brand?
    > it seems that different brands or types do not connect together ?
    > any suggestions ?
    >
    > thx

    No suggestions yet as the N wifi network is still not a ratified
    network protocol yet. Until it comes out of "Draft" modes, any
    hardware you purchase will never be guarantied to always work
    together.

    If you were to consider to still proceed to set up up, always use one
    manufacturer "brand" and do not mix / match between manufacturer.

    smlunatick, Aug 25, 2008

  3. Lem Guest

    wrote:
    > i would like to create a wifizone around my house
    > that covers seamless access
    > i would like to use a gigabit N-router and two AccessPoints
    >

    > how to proceed and which brand?
    > it seems that different brands or types do not connect together ?
    > any suggestions ?
    >
    > thx

    Why do you think you need two access points in addition to the router?

    Although the wireless-N "standard" has not been ratified (and is thus
    not really a standard), the industry organization claims that products
    bearing the "WiFi Certified" logo are compatible with each other.
    http://certifications.wi-fi.org/wbcs_certified_products.php?lang=en

    "Compatible," however, doesn't necessarily mean that all features of all
    products will work together. If I were doing it, I'd start with the
    router and then pick the products that the router manufacturer claims
    will work best with it.

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP

    Lem, Aug 25, 2008
  4. On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 11:21:11 -0700, johanarnout wrote:

    > i would like to create a wifizone around my house that covers seamless
    > access
    > i would like to use a gigabit N-router and two AccessPoints
    >

    > how to proceed and which brand?
    > it seems that different brands or types do not connect together ? any
    > suggestions ?
    >
    > thx

    How big is your house and yard? I pretty much cover mine with one Belkin
    F5D720-4 802.11g device. My house is about 2200 sq feet in size with a
    lot about 1/3 acre or so in size.

    --
    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows - Desktop User Experience)

    mutual benefit of all of us...
    rights...
    How to ask a question
    http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

    Sooner Al [MVP], Aug 25, 2008
  5. Hi
    First you should take into account that when using Entry Level Wireless
    devices achieving real seamless is an Iffy issue even if you use same Brand
    matching devices.
    If real seamless is very important you should be ready to spend few
    thousands and go with professional Wireless (Cisco, Proxim. etc.).
    Start with a Good Wireless Router. Load Netstumbler on a Laptop and make a
    survey at each corner of the perimeter that would give you an idea about how
    many Access Points you would need.
    The general approach that I take for Coverage issues is the following.
    The best way is to lay few CAT6 cables to central locations in the house,
    install Access Points, or Cable/DSL Routers configured as an Access Points
    ( Using a Wireless Cable/DSL Router as a Switch with an Access Point ), and
    connect them to the Main Router.
    You do not want/can not/hate/your client hate to lay Cables.
    Buy a Pair of Wireless Routers that can do WDS (Zyxel, SMC, Belkin have
    models that do WDS as is out of the Box).
    Linksys WRT54GL can do WDS when flashed with DD-WRT firmware.
    Using a Laptop loaded with Netstumbler, do a Wireless survey in the house,
    http://www.netstumbler.com/downloads/
    According to the Netstumbler's signal strength reading, identify spots that
    have strong signal. and spot with weak, or No signal.
    Evaluate how you can cover the space and start placing WDS units.
    Additional Wireless Routers in WDS Mode (Wireless Network - Configuration
    Modes. ) has to be placed in spots were the signal is good about Half way to
    the dead spots.
    How many WDS units are needed? It depends on your specific environment (that
    is a good the reason to buying WDS units one at the time, try it, and decide
    on the Next step).
    Otherwise.
    Wireless Router as an AP - http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html
    Wireless Modes - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Modes.html
    Wireless Bridging - http://www.ezlan.net/bridging.html
    Hi Gain Antenna - http://www.ezlan.net/antennae.html
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Aug 26, 2008
  6. Guest

    Hi

    the signal gets weak and loses the connection
    (wals trees 100 meter around my house)
    i would not like to switch from one wireless emitter to an other
    it should have the same ssid and the same password
    i would buy new equipment and would be happy to know what models can
    do the task
    if not N norm and Gigabit
    G norm and 100 mbit network would be a good start ...

    kind regards

    johan

    , Sep 25, 2008
  7. Phil Guest

    I am writing this letter to ALL Wireless Router manufacturers.
    I have a Linksys Wireless Router Model:BEFW11S4. It is 7 years (yes, count
    them, all of seven little years) old. I have visited the Linksys website
    numerous times trying to set up the WEP/WPA security on that wireless router
    (as all responsible wireless router owners should!). I found that there are
    no links to any wireless router setting websites that are congruent with the
    screen shots from Linksys' own self help technical support site. I have had
    to call Linksys several times to resolve this issue only to be placed on hold
    for lengthy times (sometimes my call was dropped and I had to start over ....
    how sad for such a large company to have such poorly trained phone
    receptionists!), then be transferred (see previous comment about the phone
    receptionists) to a supposed supervisor, only to finally be transferred to
    someone who tells me that the warranty has expired and wants me to pay $40.00
    for the technical support to do the right thing that I want and need to do.
    First, the device works fine (as evidenced by this e-mail that you have
    just received)!
    Second, why should I have to pay for doing the right thing?
    Third, if I am going to be EXTORTED into buying a new wireless router so
    that I can do the right thing and set up an encryption key for a secure
    network, what on Gods' Green Earth makes anyone think that I would CHOOSE to
    buy another Linksys product when ALL that I have ever received from them is a
    functional wireless router (yes, even after seven whole years) and the
    crappiest Customer Service/Technical Support I have ever had the displeasure
    to encounter!
    I shall copy this letter and try to find as many Chat Rooms as possible in
    order to spread the word of ALL that I have gone through with the Chain of
    Command at the Linksys phone center, well above and beyond what any
    reasonable person should expect to go through, and still have NO RELIEF
    concerning my singular issue with their product and its capabilities that I
    SHOULD be able to enjoy as the owner of said product! What has happend to
    "The Customer Is Always Right" Customer Service mantra (I can't say "In
    America" because the call was handled in India)? Is the Customer, the ones
    that makes the company what it is through the purchase of products, so
    worthless to the company that they can just be treated with abject contempt
    and scorn? Is the Customer to thus be trampled underfoot? Are we paying to
    be so abused? I, for one (yes, one, the beginning of all), shall NOT be
    treated in such manner, and CERTAINLY shall NOT PAY to be treated as such!
    In this world of expanding technologies, it shall be those with the
    GREATEST Customer Appeal that shall continue to be found worthwile in the
    publics' eyes (and pocketbooks) and shall grow to meet the demands of a
    growing world - ESPECIALLY in the Electronics Department!
    It is now my strongest desire that the Linksys Corporation suffers
    irreparable damage and goes out of business for their Crappy Customer
    Service! I can only hope that I reach enough people around the world to bring
    this desire true!

    Phil, Oct 18, 2008
  8. Phil Guest

    Phil, Oct 18, 2008