    Can anyone offer me ideas or a webpage to learn more about the idea?

    Thank You,

    Chris Matthews

    s, Jul 25, 2004

  2. "s" <> wrote in message
    news:qSHMc.182600$XM6.142913@attbi_s53...
    > Hello,
    >
    > I've been wondering... Is it possible for me to purchase a server, and set
    > it up in my home?
    >
    > I would like to host a few websites from my home via a broadband

    connection.
    > There would be minimal bandwidth usage.
    >
    > Just curious, as I just had my unlimited hosting account terminated.
    >
    > Can anyone offer me ideas or a webpage to learn more about the idea?

    It would probably be cheaper and more secure to host it with a reputable
    hosting company. Also, your ISP may not allow server hosting on your
    broadband connection.

    --Tina
    --
    FREE: Web hosting accounts
    HOSTING: Cpanel, Multi-domains, Resellers

    Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc., Jul 25, 2004

  3. s

    Brian Guest

    "s" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > Hello,
    >
    > I've been wondering... Is it possible for me to purchase a server, and set
    > it up in my home?
    >
    > I would like to host a few websites from my home via a broadband

    connection.
    > There would be minimal bandwidth usage.
    >
    > Just curious, as I just had my unlimited hosting account terminated.
    >
    > Can anyone offer me ideas or a webpage to learn more about the idea?
    >
    > Thank You,
    >
    > Chris Matthews

    but of course.. get wamp, ibserver or something like that (they are web
    servers) and then get a service like no-ip (google around.. you will be
    surprised from all the hits).. oh and don't listen to what Tina-Junk tells
    you!

    Brian, Jul 25, 2004
  4. s

    Brian Guest

    "s" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > Hello,
    >
    > I've been wondering... Is it possible for me to purchase a server, and set
    > it up in my home?
    >
    > I would like to host a few websites from my home via a broadband

    connection.
    > There would be minimal bandwidth usage.
    >
    > Just curious, as I just had my unlimited hosting account terminated.
    >
    > Can anyone offer me ideas or a webpage to learn more about the idea?
    >
    > Thank You,
    >
    > Chris Matthews

    and i also forgot to say that they are FREE!

    Brian, Jul 25, 2004
  5. s

    On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 05:50:15 GMT, "s" <> wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >I've been wondering... Is it possible for me to purchase a server, and set
    >it up in my home?

    Yep. Personally, I would use Apache (free): <http://httpd.apache.org/>
    You might not even need to buy an additional PC.

    Apache is complicated, but highly reliable and therefore worth the
    trouble, IMO. Read the help files carefully.

    If you're on a tight budget, this might be the way to go. Keep in
    mind, however, that most home broadband ISP's prohibit servers such as
    these and you run the risk of getting your service canceled. I would
    check before using it regularly.

    | Steve |, Jul 25, 2004
  6. > I've been wondering... Is it possible for me to purchase a server, and
    > set it up in my home?
    >
    > I would like to host a few websites from my home via a broadband
    > connection. There would be minimal bandwidth usage.
    >
    > Just curious, as I just had my unlimited hosting account terminated.
    >
    > Can anyone offer me ideas or a webpage to learn more about the idea?

    Xitami Web Server
    http://www.xitami.com/

    Mercury Email Server
    http://www.pmail.com

    Not all ISP allow this with broadband, And you may need to change your
    account type....

    FORT Freeware: http://freeware.quantum.2ya.com

    http://quantum.2ya.com/email.htm

    The future is our past and our past is our future.

    Bebop & Rocksteady, Jul 25, 2004
  7. s

    Jim Berwick Guest

    "Bebop & Rocksteady" <> wrote in news:Xns9531C8450DBC8spammenot@
    203.96.92.12:

    > Mercury Email Server
    > http://www.pmail.com

    Mercury rocks!

    Jim Berwick, Jul 25, 2004
  8. s

    Hamman Guest

    "s" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I've been wondering... Is it possible for me to purchase a server, and set
    > it up in my home?
    >
    > I would like to host a few websites from my home via a broadband

    connection.
    > There would be minimal bandwidth usage.
    >
    > Just curious, as I just had my unlimited hosting account terminated.
    >
    > Can anyone offer me ideas or a webpage to learn more about the idea?
    >
    > Thank You,
    >
    > Chris Matthews

    www.dslwebserver.com is a good start.

    I'm currently hosting site for a number of local businesses on a dual P1 200
    with 128Mb of ram.
    256k upload is plenty for light sites.

    See if your ISP will either give you a static IP address or even better, a
    set of IP adresses. I currently have 5 WAN IP's assigned to my connection.

    hamman

    Hamman, Jul 25, 2004
  9. s

    jsc Guest

    before i got a www address and pay for someone else to host

    iwas using a prgram called small http (allows ftp, smtp, and http)
    combined with no-ip
    and when setup up properly, i was also able to run it behind the firewalll
    on the router

    jsc, Jul 25, 2004
  10. s

    s Guest

    I have a home broadband connection through Comcast. . .

    Also, I would be hosting about five websites, so would I need a different IP
    address for each one, assigned by my ISP?

    Thanks,

    Chris

    s, Jul 31, 2004
  11. On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 15:08:55 GMT, "s" <> wrote:

    >I have a home broadband connection through Comcast. . .
    >
    >Also, I would be hosting about five websites, so would I need a different IP
    >address for each one, assigned by my ISP?

    You could but you don't need to.

    Shane Matthews, Jul 31, 2004
  12. s

    Rick Merrill Guest

    s wrote:

    > I have a home broadband connection through Comcast. . .
    >
    > Also, I would be hosting about five websites, so would I need a different IP
    > address for each one, assigned by my ISP?

    No. Give each site a different subdirectory. - RM

    Rick Merrill, Jul 31, 2004