Creating a video montage

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by jav, Dec 1, 2005.

  1. jav

    jav Guest

    I have a sister celebrating a 70th birthday and I wanted to give her
    the gift of a video montage. I am compiling 100-150 photos from
    years past to include with background music and transitions/fades.

    I have some basic skills with Photoshop CS2. I purchased an
    Epson 4990 scanner and am planning to scan old prints and 35mm
    slides, touch them up and crop in Photoshop then transfer the digital
    files to a CD-ROM. I wanted to take the CD-ROM and music CD's
    to a videographer for making the final DVD. I contacted a local
    firm who seemed to discourage me, saying they usually take the
    raw prints and photos, scan them and make the DVD. I want to do
    the scanning myself to have greater control on cropping and image
    adjustments (levels, curves, USM, etc). I may continue looking for
    a firm which can work with me on this.

    My question: what file format and file size would be most ideal for
    transferring to the DVD for a montage? Is JPEG the ideal, and if so
    what size? Any other considerations?

    How difficult would it be to do the whole project myself? Is there a
    software package for making such a montage which is user-friendly
    and competent?

    Thanks for any advice.........
    jav, Dec 1, 2005

  2. jav

    John H Guest

    On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 21:12:10 -0500, "jav" <> wrote:

    >I have a sister celebrating a 70th birthday and I wanted to give her
    >the gift of a video montage. I am compiling 100-150 photos from
    >years past to include with background music and transitions/fades.
    >
    >I have some basic skills with Photoshop CS2. I purchased an
    >Epson 4990 scanner and am planning to scan old prints and 35mm
    >slides, touch them up and crop in Photoshop then transfer the digital
    >files to a CD-ROM. I wanted to take the CD-ROM and music CD's
    >to a videographer for making the final DVD. I contacted a local
    >firm who seemed to discourage me, saying they usually take the
    >raw prints and photos, scan them and make the DVD. I want to do
    >the scanning myself to have greater control on cropping and image
    >adjustments (levels, curves, USM, etc). I may continue looking for
    >a firm which can work with me on this.
    >
    >My question: what file format and file size would be most ideal for
    >transferring to the DVD for a montage? Is JPEG the ideal, and if so
    >what size? Any other considerations?
    >
    >How difficult would it be to do the whole project myself? Is there a
    >software package for making such a montage which is user-friendly
    >and competent?
    >
    >Thanks for any advice.........

    You can do this yourself without getting into a big learning
    curve. I just completed such a project with 700-800 images using
    Windows Movie Maker. The output was saved to a high quality file
    which was then converted to DVD video and burned. Pop the disk in a
    stand alone DVD player and Bob's your uncle. I used VSO Software XVID
    to DVD for the conversion and burn but there is freeware stuff around.
    Windows MM is a freebie with XP. Images were jpegs. The movie was
    pretty fast paced with 3 to 4 images per second. Depending on the
    resources of the machine and content of the video it may be necessary
    to make several shorter clips and then import them into WMM and join
    to a single clip, otherwise things can bog down. Audio - music,
    narration - can be added after they are joined.

    WMM is fairly easy to learn and the convert and burn with the
    VSO app is a one click operation. WMM offers a number of options for
    saving output files not all of which will convert to DVD. I used AVI
    which worked fine. The software also burns the AVI original file to
    the disk by default allowing it to be played on a computer not
    equipped with DVD player software.
    John H, Dec 1, 2005

  3. "jav" <> wrote in message news:...
    >I have a sister celebrating a 70th birthday and I wanted to give her
    > the gift of a video montage. I am compiling 100-150 photos from
    > years past to include with background music and transitions/fades.
    >
    > I have some basic skills with Photoshop CS2. I purchased an
    > Epson 4990 scanner and am planning to scan old prints and 35mm
    > slides, touch them up and crop in Photoshop then transfer the digital
    > files to a CD-ROM. I wanted to take the CD-ROM and music CD's
    > to a videographer for making the final DVD. I contacted a local
    > firm who seemed to discourage me, saying they usually take the
    > raw prints and photos, scan them and make the DVD. I want to do
    > the scanning myself to have greater control on cropping and image
    > adjustments (levels, curves, USM, etc). I may continue looking for
    > a firm which can work with me on this.
    >
    > My question: what file format and file size would be most ideal for
    > transferring to the DVD for a montage? Is JPEG the ideal, and if so
    > what size? Any other considerations?
    >
    > How difficult would it be to do the whole project myself? Is there a
    > software package for making such a montage which is user-friendly
    > and competent?
    >
    > Thanks for any advice.........

    Get some audio. Your own memories or better yet a bunch of family
    members talking about the memories that the pictures bring up.

    You can do the scans yourself but I used a digital camera mounted
    on a piece of plywood. It is a lot faster and quite good if you have
    a pretty good digital camera. Positioning the pictures on a scanner
    and the 30-60 seconds per scan takes a long time while a camera
    can do the same thing basically at about 3 times the speed in my
    experience and you don't have to have the same setting for the pictures
    with the camera as you do with a scanner. I know the math looks kind
    of questionable but I wouldn't do it any other way now.

    Any version of PhotoShop will be fine for adjusting the quality of the
    pictures and the version you have as, I think, most if not all of the
    previous versions do macros called 'actions'. You can change the
    saturation and gamma of your pics by setting up some nice little
    actions. When in button mode that is much easier than using the menus.

    When you show the video which can be produced by a lot of different
    programs (I'm thinking about using Adobe Elements for the first cut of
    my next project) but having the ability to coordinate the pics with the
    audio once you get it comes with higher end packages. I use Media Studio
    Pro for that. People here might know of programs that are much cheaper
    and do the same thing which is to let you mark the audio where you want
    the pictures to change and it brings them in and sets the duration of the
    stills to match the audio.

    You've done the main thing though which is to have the pictures in the first
    place. Technology and services by others will progress as time goes on and
    people will have great things that they will take for granted that we can't
    even imagine but no one will be able to go back and take missed pictures
    and Audio is so important. I only have one recording of my mother's voice,
    none of my son's when he was a child and none of my grandson until age
    six.

    Good thing to be doing. Don't worry about it being perfect. It will thrill and
    make your sister and your friends and other family feel warm and apprciated.
    AKA gray asphalt, Dec 1, 2005
  4. I forgot the most important thing, maybe, which is to
    have an "in" box where you can keep the photos so they
    don't get lost, get them scanned and back where they are
    safe as soon as possible. (This might be me giving myself
    advice, if you know what I mean). : -) : -)

    AKA gray asphalt, Dec 1, 2005
  5. jav

    Sammy Guest

    jav wrote:

    > I have a sister celebrating a 70th birthday and I wanted to give her
    > the gift of a video montage. I am compiling 100-150 photos from
    > years past to include with background music and transitions/fades.
    >
    > I have some basic skills with Photoshop CS2. I purchased an
    > Epson 4990 scanner and am planning to scan old prints and 35mm
    > slides, touch them up and crop in Photoshop then transfer the digital
    > files to a CD-ROM. I wanted to take the CD-ROM and music CD's
    > to a videographer for making the final DVD. I contacted a local
    > firm who seemed to discourage me, saying they usually take the
    > raw prints and photos, scan them and make the DVD. I want to do
    > the scanning myself to have greater control on cropping and image
    > adjustments (levels, curves, USM, etc). I may continue looking for
    > a firm which can work with me on this.
    >
    > My question: what file format and file size would be most ideal for
    > transferring to the DVD for a montage? Is JPEG the ideal, and if so
    > what size? Any other considerations?
    >
    > How difficult would it be to do the whole project myself? Is there a
    > software package for making such a montage which is user-friendly
    > and competent?
    >
    > Thanks for any advice.........

    Do a Google search for a program called "Muvee". It is a
    neat little program that will let you do exactly what you
    want. In the past week I have prepared three video
    presentations with it. Just be sure to edit the photos that
    you want included and save them to a separate directory
    before hand. After that, it's a piece of cake.
    Sammy, Dec 1, 2005
  6. jav

    oly2100z Guest

    I've done several of these projects for clients with great results. If
    you're just using photos, you won't need to get into using a video
    editor like MS movie maker. I use MemoriesOnTV which is a slideshow
    creation software that sets your pictures to music with transitions.
    You then burn to DVD, playable on any DVD player. Scanning will be your
    most time-consuming effort, but 100-150 pictures isn't too bad. Try to
    crop your scans to the same aspect ratio you plan to display them,
    probably 4:3 would be best. Scan at 200 dpi is fine. MemoriesOnTV can
    be found at www.codejam.com
    oly2100z, Dec 2, 2005