    I'm guesiing it could be done by dual booting Pc with xp and dos, and
    then setting up DOS same as I do for DVD boot?

    , Jul 27, 2010

  2. Mike Easter Guest

    wrote:
    Subject: Creating a recovery partition - like Dell ,HP

    > Is it possible to do this? Need this to roll out to a user with an
    > easy way to get back to the default installation in case they screw
    > things up.
    >
    > I'd like to dual boot the PC but have a partition with a saved ghost
    > image in. Then if needs be PC could be booted to the partion and the
    > ghost image restored.

    PC Mag had an article in 2006 Sep.

    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2014353,00.asp - Make a Recovery
    Partition - Many PCs come with recovery CDs that will restore your
    system to factory-new condition, but you can get the job done faster—and
    add all your favorite programs and system settings to the restoration—by
    creating a recovery partition.

    They used Partition Magic and Ghost for the illustrations, but there is
    also freeware to do it.

    An outfit ZAR who makes voth free and payware for partition/data
    recovery has an interesting article about some things which can go wrong
    with partitions (and therefore complicating their recovery)

    http://www.z-a-recovery.com/art-partition-recovery.htm How to recover
    data from a damaged partition

    Besides whatever you do with a recovery partition, it is a good idea to
    have an alternate recovery strategy which involves images and files
    somewhere else besides the hard drive being imaged. Hard disks die.

    Separate from all of that...

    From: "" <>

    I suggest that you:

    - use a newsreader and an nntp news server to read and post to usenet
    groups instead of GG.

    GG has a terrible interface, lacks threading and filtering, and some of
    the readers who could be most helpful to any questions you ask routinely
    filter out any posts made from GG because of the problem with GG spam
    and the fact that google doesn't manage its abuse properly.

    - whether you use GG to post or a newsreader, you should create a
    'proper' From which consists of a handle and an email address.

    Then the newsreaders which use a short attribution line will just cite
    the shorter handle instead of the long email address which is getting
    exposed in the case of GG. In GG you can create a handle in the personal
    info without creating a so-called public profile.

    - when you create a new thread with a message question, create a good
    message body first with complete sentences, then give it a very brief
    title rather than starting your message question in the subject

    - don't crosspost, routinely or otherwise. Many people filter out
    crossposted messages as well as GGers.

    -

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Jul 27, 2010

  3. Description of the Windows XP Recovery Console for advanced users:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058/EN-US

    PA Bear [MS MVP], Jul 27, 2010
  4. M.L. Guest

    >> Is it possible to do this? Need this to roll out to a user with an
    >> easy way to get back to the default installation in case they screw
    >> things up.
    >>
    >> I'd like to dual boot the PC but have a partition with a saved ghost
    >> image in. Then if needs be PC could be booted to the partion and the
    >> ghost image restored.

    >PC Mag had an article in 2006 Sep.
    >
    >http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2014353,00.asp - Make a Recovery
    >Partition

    The solution described in that article requires a boot CD to restore
    from an optical drive. It doesn't involve directly launching the
    restore process from a partition the way Dell and HP do it.

    <quote>
    To use the recovery partition, make sure you've backed up all your
    vital data to another drive or removable media, then boot your PC with
    the Ghost CD loaded in the optical drive. You'll then be able to
    restore from the partition to your primary drive, resulting in a
    ready-to-roll PC with all your apps, drivers, and settings loaded.
    </quote>

    M.L., Jul 27, 2010
  5. Mike Easter Guest

    M.L. wrote:
    <my cite>

    >> http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2014353,00.asp - Make a Recovery
    >> Partition

    > The solution described in that article requires a boot CD to restore
    > from an optical drive. It doesn't involve directly launching the
    > restore process from a partition the way Dell and HP do it.

    It is pretty close to the way Dell & HP do it - you are replacing the
    drive from the partition's image, not from the optical. The optical is
    just to run the Ghost re-imaging.

    Dell and HP are able to use their BIOS to trigger the HP Recovery
    Manager or the Dell System Restore.

    > <quote>
    > To use the recovery partition, make sure you've backed up all your
    > vital data to another drive or removable media, then boot your PC with
    > the Ghost CD loaded in the optical drive. You'll then be able to
    > restore from the partition to your primary drive, resulting in a
    > ready-to-roll PC with all your apps, drivers, and settings loaded.
    > </quote>

    The purpose of the Ghost CD is to boot up a little operating system to
    run the ghost app to take the image from the recovery partition and
    replace the boot partition with it.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Jul 28, 2010
  6. Mike Easter Guest

    Mike Easter wrote:
    > M.L. wrote:

    >> The solution described in that article requires a boot CD to restore
    >> from an optical drive. It doesn't involve directly launching the
    >> restore process from a partition the way Dell and HP do it.

    > The purpose of the Ghost CD is to boot up a little operating system to
    > run the ghost app to take the image from the recovery partition and
    > replace the boot partition with it.

    Ghost 12.0 (and up) has 'lights out restore'

    "This version also provides a "LightsOut Restore" feature. This restores
    a system with an on-disk software recovery environment, thereby allowing
    a recovery without a bootable CD. Upon boot-up of the computer a screen
    will ask which drive to boot from, the regular drive, or the LightsOut
    restore virtual drive. - LightsOut restore augments the ISO disk, which
    comes with the Ghost program, that has to be copied to a CD. This
    contains a recovery environment that allows one to recover files even if
    Windows doesn't start up, but the computer can turn on. The latest
    update to the program is 12.0.5.29804."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghost_(software)#Ghost_12.0

    Ghost 12 came out in 2007 - which was after the 2006 Sep PC Mag article.

    Symantec http://peek.snipr.com/zwjmr Brief overview of Symantec Ghost
    and Norton Ghost versions

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Jul 28, 2010
  7. M.L. Guest

    >>> http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2014353,00.asp - Make a Recovery
    >>> Partition

    >> The solution described in that article requires a boot CD to restore
    >> from an optical drive. It doesn't involve directly launching the
    >> restore process from a partition the way Dell and HP do it.

    >It is pretty close to the way Dell & HP do it - you are replacing the
    >drive from the partition's image, not from the optical. The optical is
    >just to run the Ghost re-imaging.
    >
    >Dell and HP are able to use their BIOS to trigger the HP Recovery
    >Manager or the Dell System Restore.

    That's significantly different from having to have a boot CD and
    optical drive available. Dell and HP do it more like the way you
    describe the Ghost 12+ LightsOut Restore feature in your other post.

    M.L., Jul 28, 2010
  8. Mat Guest

    http://www.partition-saving.com/

    Mat, Jul 28, 2010
  9. Oldus Fartus Guest

    wrote:
    > Is it possible to do this? Need this to roll out to a user with an
    > easy way to get back to the default installation in case they screw
    > things up.
    >
    > I'd like to dual boot the PC but have a partition with a saved ghost
    > image in. Then if needs be PC could be booted to the partion and the
    > ghost image restored.
    >
    > In the past, I've created bootable ghost DVDs which do this, but, in
    > this case, theres no DVD drive.
    >
    > Any ideas best way to do it?
    >
    > I'm guesiing it could be done by dual booting Pc with xp and dos, and
    > then setting up DOS same as I do for DVD boot?

    I use Acronis True Image for this. Does everything you want, and more!
    http://www.acronis.com.au/

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus

    Oldus Fartus, Jul 28, 2010
  10. Twayne Guest

    In news:,
    <> typed:
    > Is it possible to do this? Need this to roll out to a user
    > with an easy way to get back to the default installation in
    > case they screw things up.
    >
    > I'd like to dual boot the PC but have a partition with a
    > saved ghost image in. Then if needs be PC could be booted
    > to the partion and the ghost image restored.
    >
    > In the past, I've created bootable ghost DVDs which do
    > this, but, in this case, theres no DVD drive.
    >
    > Any ideas best way to do it?
    >
    > I'm guesiing it could be done by dual booting Pc with xp
    > and dos, and then setting up DOS same as I do for DVD boot?

    Not to be facetious, but ... I'd have a fit if you did that to my machine,
    especially if you did it covertly. Besides, then you've got a hassle for
    updating them should problems be discovered that need fixing.

    Why not just send or allow download of, a "recovery" CD that does the same
    thing? I doubt I'm the only one who wouldn't allow you to mess with my
    partitions; I just wouldn't allow it. But I'd be real happy with a
    restoration CD of some kind. But in the end, I'd hope I can just re-image
    the drive to get it back. Any reason a re-image would fail? If so, and
    there are programs like that, I'd throw another dart at you<g>.

    HTH,

    Twayne`

    Twayne, Jul 29, 2010
  11. Twayne Guest

    In news:,
    <> typed:
    > Is it possible to do this? Need this to roll out to a user
    > with an easy way to get back to the default installation in
    > case they screw things up.
    >
    > I'd like to dual boot the PC but have a partition with a
    > saved ghost image in. Then if needs be PC could be booted
    > to the partion and the ghost image restored.
    >
    > In the past, I've created bootable ghost DVDs which do
    > this, but, in this case, theres no DVD drive.
    >
    > Any ideas best way to do it?
    >
    > I'm guesiing it could be done by dual booting Pc with xp
    > and dos, and then setting up DOS same as I do for DVD boot?

    What about licensing for DOS?

    Twayne, Jul 29, 2010
  12. HeyBub Guest

    wrote:
    > Is it possible to do this? Need this to roll out to a user with an
    > easy way to get back to the default installation in case they screw
    > things up.
    >
    > I'd like to dual boot the PC but have a partition with a saved ghost
    > image in. Then if needs be PC could be booted to the partion and the
    > ghost image restored.
    >
    > In the past, I've created bootable ghost DVDs which do this, but, in
    > this case, theres no DVD drive.
    >
    > Any ideas best way to do it?
    >
    > I'm guesiing it could be done by dual booting Pc with xp and dos, and
    > then setting up DOS same as I do for DVD boot?

    You may want to consider Microsoft's free "Steady State" program which
    returns a PC to its initial configuration.

    "Windows SteadyState allows you to set Windows Disk Protection to remove all
    changes upon restart, to remove changes at a certain date and time, or to
    not remove changes at all. If you choose to use Windows Disk Protection to
    remove changes, any changes made by shared users when they are logged on to
    the computer are removed when the computer is restarted."

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...3e9-4b02-bd95-9d770ccdb431#QuickInfoContainer

    HeyBub, Jul 29, 2010
  13. jamel36

    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    Creating a recovery partition

    Creating a recovery partition

    This can be done easily with Instant PC Recovery it will create the partition for you and give you an F4 option. It

    even allows you to do updates and create emergency DVD's and works with all windows operating systems

    instantpcrecovery dot com

    jamel36, Aug 10, 2010
  14. AllenG

    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    Thanks Jamel

    Thanks Jamel I'm not technical at all Instant pc recovery software really works and is easy to use! Kudo's

    AllenG, Aug 10, 2010