Creating a NAT with Cisco Router (827) and a sw phone

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by markryde@gmail.com, Sep 25, 2007.

  1. Guest

    Hello,
    I have a 827 Cisco Router; It has 3 ports on the back; one for
    Ethernet, one for console, and an ADSL port.
    I have a PC with a software SIP phone.
    My environment is a LAN which is connected to the internet.

    I want to configure a NAT on this Router, so that the software SIP
    will
    have a local address (like, say, 10.0.0.12) and will be able to
    connect
    to the outside world via the Router NAT (through the LAN).

    It seems to me that I should connect the PC directly to the Cisco
    router,
    through a HUB, and connect the HUB to the LAN.
    Is it so ? What should I do ?

    Reards,
    Mark

    , Sep 25, 2007

  2. thort

    Joined:
    Sep 26, 2007
    Messages:
    35
    If you have LAN clients with private IPs accessing the Internet, then you already have NAT. Outbound should work fine by just plugging your sw phone into your existing network. If you want to be able to accept inbound calls, you need to do a SIP port redirect on inbound to your Private IP that corresponds to the sw phone IP.

    I wouldn't use a hub as they are prone to Ethernet collisions.

    If you want to use a separate subnet for your sw phone, then you have to create VLANS on your switch and do logical interfaces on your router for routing and NATing since you only have one port on your router.

    thort, Sep 29, 2007