Creating a home CCTV security system.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Damos, Jun 13, 2004.

  1. Damos

    Damos Guest

    Over the last couple of weeks about 10 houses in my neighbourhood have
    been burgled. While I have a burglar alarm, I'm curious about setting
    up a home cctv setup.
    ie a web cam which watches the path to the front door and takes photos
    when someone approaches on the pretext that a burglar would want to
    check no one is home prior to entering and the safest way of doing
    this would be to knock on the door and see if anyone was home.

    I have an ASDL account and a modern pc. Does anyone have experience in
    getting such a setup running?

    What program did they use?
    What sort of web cam?
    What about lengths of cable as the front door is about 15m from the
    pc?

    Thanks

    Damos

    "It's a foreboding I have - maybe ill placed - of my children's generation
    or my grandchildren's generation ... when clutching our horoscopes, our
    critical faculties in steep decline, unable to distinguish between what
    right and what feels good, we slide, almost without noticing, into
    superstition and darkness."

    Carl Sagan.

    Damos, Jun 13, 2004

  2. Damos

    brundlefly Guest

    "Damos" <> wrote in message
    > Over the last couple of weeks about 10 houses in my neighbourhood have
    > been burgled. While I have a burglar alarm, I'm curious about setting
    > up a home cctv setup.
    > ie a web cam which watches the path to the front door and takes photos
    > when someone approaches on the pretext that a burglar would want to
    > check no one is home prior to entering and the safest way of doing
    > this would be to knock on the door and see if anyone was home.
    >
    > I have an ASDL account and a modern pc. Does anyone have experience in
    > getting such a setup running?
    >
    > What program did they use?
    > What sort of web cam?
    > What about lengths of cable as the front door is about 15m from the
    > pc?
    >

    > Thanks
    >
    > Damos

    There are a whole bunch of suitable products under the brand name Swann
    http://www.swann.com.au/
    They are widely distributed.
    http://dse.resultspage.com/search.php?sessionid=40cbb4500f3194c82741c0a87f990747&site=&w=swann

    brundlefly, Jun 13, 2004

  3. Damos

    Collector_NZ Guest

    Damos said the following on 13/06/2004 13:28:
    > Over the last couple of weeks about 10 houses in my neighbourhood have
    > been burgled. While I have a burglar alarm, I'm curious about setting
    > up a home cctv setup.
    > ie a web cam which watches the path to the front door and takes photos
    > when someone approaches on the pretext that a burglar would want to
    > check no one is home prior to entering and the safest way of doing
    > this would be to knock on the door and see if anyone was home.
    >
    > I have an ASDL account and a modern pc. Does anyone have experience in
    > getting such a setup running?
    >
    > What program did they use?
    > What sort of web cam?
    > What about lengths of cable as the front door is about 15m from the
    > pc?

    I did this in my place at Pakuranga a while back. I used a freeware web
    cam prog off the internet that compared the current to the last image
    and recorded the image if there was a variation in the two. The extent
    of the variation was adjustable and I managed to get it accurate enough
    that it actually snapped everyone walking past the front gate.
    The quality of the image depended on the camera and the cheapo pen cam I
    used initially was probably of no use for ID, but the good mega pixel i
    used when I didnt have it with me was great. The time frame for
    comparison was set so that if a person came in the gate to go to the
    front door I got two shots of them and conversely two of them leaving.
    The software was able to upload the image via ftp to a java enabled web
    page which meant I could view it on the net from anywhere and it could
    also send an advice email when a new image was taken.

    Really neat but became a bore after a while.

    Collector_NZ, Jun 13, 2004
  4. Damos

    Collector_NZ Guest

    Damos said the following on 13/06/2004 13:28:

    > Over the last couple of weeks about 10 houses in my neighbourhood have
    > been burgled. While I have a burglar alarm, I'm curious about setting
    > up a home cctv setup.
    > ie a web cam which watches the path to the front door and takes photos
    > when someone approaches on the pretext that a burglar would want to
    > check no one is home prior to entering and the safest way of doing
    > this would be to knock on the door and see if anyone was home.
    >
    > I have an ASDL account and a modern pc. Does anyone have experience in
    > getting such a setup running?
    >
    > What program did they use?
    > What sort of web cam?
    > What about lengths of cable as the front door is about 15m from the
    > pc?
    > Now if I was going to do this again I would use one of the IR equiped

    cameras with a wide angle lense and a wireless transmitter, they can be
    bought for a reasonable price these days. Being wireless gets round the
    USB cable length problem I had with my old setup and the IR gives quite
    good night operation. I will try to find the software I used and post
    the name

    Collector_NZ, Jun 13, 2004