    me?

    Thanks very much in advance!
    Barry
    Barry Delfino, Aug 16, 2004

  2. Barry Delfino

    Kevin Miller Guest

    On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 20:07:24 -0400, "Barry Delfino"
    <> wrote:

    >I've captured a TV source in .mpg format. What type of file do I need to
    >convert the .mpg to in order to create a DVD that will autoplay in a regular
    >DVD player? Is there a FAQ or primer on this that someone can point out to
    >me?
    >
    >Thanks very much in advance!
    >Barry

    This should be a good start:

    www.videohelp.com

    This site is a wealth of good information concerning DVD creation.
    Good luck!

    Kevin Miller

    "Either way, it is bad for Zathras."
    Kevin Miller, Aug 16, 2004

  3. Barry Delfino

    Joe McC Guest

    "Kevin Miller" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 20:07:24 -0400, "Barry Delfino"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >I've captured a TV source in .mpg format. What type of file do I need to
    > >convert the .mpg to in order to create a DVD that will autoplay in a

    regular
    > >DVD player? Is there a FAQ or primer on this that someone can point out

    > >me?
    > >
    > >Thanks very much in advance!
    > >Barry

    Barry, it can be a bit confusing & daunting at times, but eventually very
    simple.

    I'd recommend using Ulead DVD Workshop 1.3 or V2....so easy even a simpleton
    like me mastered it in 10 mins. Try a trial download off the ulead site.
    Joe McC, Aug 16, 2004
  4. Barry Delfino

    <> wrote:

    >I've captured a TV source in .mpg format. What type of file do I need to
    >convert the .mpg to in order to create a DVD that will autoplay in a regular
    >DVD player? Is there a FAQ or primer on this that someone can point out to
    >me?
    >
    >Thanks very much in advance!
    >Barry

    Joe McC is absolutely right; the learning curve isn't as bad as you
    might think. Just be willing to experiment and, above all, be patient.
    You'll probably muck up a few disks along the way, but once you have
    the process down and you have all the tools you need, it'll be a
    breeze. And never be afraid to ask questions.

    My latest challenge is learning how to author and burn the new DVD+R
    dual layer disks. I've mucked up a few of those, but I've learned a
    lot of practical stuff in a short time. Nevertheless, it's a pretty
    expensive laboratory! :)

    Kevin Miller, Aug 16, 2004
  5. Barry Delfino

    Guest

    In alt.video.dvd.software Barry Delfino <> wrote:
    > I've captured a TV source in .mpg format. What type of file do I need to
    > convert the .mpg to in order to create a DVD that will autoplay in a regular
    > DVD player? Is there a FAQ or primer on this that someone can point out to
    > me?

    You don't necessarily have to change it to any other format. Many
    recent (usually cheap) DVD players will play .MPG files directly. Try
    just copying the file to a DVD and see if your DVD player can play it.

    --
    Chris Green
    , Aug 16, 2004
  6. if your dvd player will play mpeg (i think most do) wouldnt be be cheaper
    and easier to just burn vcd on cdr rather than dvd?

    "The problem with the world is that everyone is a couple of drinks behind."
    Humphrey Bogart

    Comfortably Numb, Aug 16, 2004
  7. Barry Delfino

    Guest

    In alt.video.dvd.software Comfortably Numb <> wrote:

    > <> wrote in message news:...
    > > In alt.video.dvd.software Barry Delfino <> wrote:
    > > > I've captured a TV source in .mpg format. What type of file do I need to
    > > > convert the .mpg to in order to create a DVD that will autoplay in a

    > regular
    > > > DVD player? Is there a FAQ or primer on this that someone can point out

    > > > me?
    > > >

    > > You don't necessarily have to change it to any other format. Many
    > > recent (usually cheap) DVD players will play .MPG files directly. Try
    > > just copying the file to a DVD and see if your DVD player can play it.
    > >

    > if your dvd player will play mpeg (i think most do) wouldnt be be cheaper
    > and easier to just burn vcd on cdr rather than dvd?

    It depends on the size doesn't it, if it will fit on a CD then OK but
    otherwise an .MPG file on a DVD makes sense. Also, can most DVD
    players read CDs?

    --
    Chris Green
    , Aug 16, 2004
  8. Barry Delfino

    luminos Guest

    Kevin,

    Could you please list a few pointers about the DVD+R dual layer authoring,
    including the software you are using?

    I just purchased some discs and the Pioneer 108 and would appreciate
    avoiding any pitfalls.

    Someone posted a source for 6 Verbatim discs at $49, so I am willing to
    tread carefully forward. I have all original mpegs (not ripped), however
    need the capacity to assemble a special series of projects.

    luminos

    luminos, Aug 16, 2004
  9. Barry Delfino

    Kevin Miller Guest

    On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 12:38:50 -0700, "luminos" <> wrote:

    >Kevin,
    >
    >Could you please list a few pointers about the DVD+R dual layer authoring,
    >including the software you are using?

    I'm currently using DVDMaestro (we spoke to this subject a few days
    ago) for the authoring. I think I posted this link as well, but just
    in case I didn't:

    http://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=225001

    My user name on that forum is Frunobulax. The biggest problem seems to
    be the proper insertion of the layer break.

    >I just purchased some discs and the Pioneer 108 and would appreciate
    >avoiding any pitfalls.
    >
    >Someone posted a source for 6 Verbatim discs at $49, so I am willing to
    >tread carefully forward. I have all original mpegs (not ripped), however
    >need the capacity to assemble a special series of projects.

    I posted the link for the disks.

    Kevin Miller, Aug 16, 2004
  10. Barry Delfino

    Ken Maltby Guest

    > On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 12:38:50 -0700, "luminos" <> wrote:
    >
    > >Kevin,
    > >
    > >Could you please list a few pointers about the DVD+R dual layer

    authoring,
    > >including the software you are using?

    > I'm currently using DVDMaestro (we spoke to this subject a few days
    > ago) for the authoring. I think I posted this link as well, but just
    > in case I didn't:
    >
    > http://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=225001
    >
    > My user name on that forum is Frunobulax. The biggest problem seems to
    > be the proper insertion of the layer break.
    >
    > >I just purchased some discs and the Pioneer 108 and would appreciate
    > >avoiding any pitfalls.
    > >
    > >Someone posted a source for 6 Verbatim discs at $49, so I am willing to
    > >tread carefully forward. I have all original mpegs (not ripped), however
    > >need the capacity to assemble a special series of projects.

    > I posted the link for the disks.
    >
    > >luminos

    > Kevin Miller
    >
    > "Either way, it is bad for Zathras."

    Interesting thread "Mr Garabaldi" (couldn't find a Zathras
    thumbnail?) I didn't see any mention of the TMPGEnc DVD
    Author 1.6 w/DL support. I have a ND-2510A and it shows
    up in TDA 1.6 correctly. I'm not ready to spend the $$ for DL
    media, yet; but I would be interested to know if there is a layer
    break problem with TDA (and/or its built-in burner). Have you
    run across any mention of problems using that approach?

    Luck;
    Ken
    Ken Maltby, Aug 17, 2004
  11. Barry Delfino

    Kevin Miller Guest

    On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 18:17:52 -0500, "Ken Maltby"
    <> wrote:

    > Interesting thread "Mr Garabaldi" (couldn't find a Zathras
    >thumbnail?) I didn't see any mention of the TMPGEnc DVD
    >Author 1.6 w/DL support. I have a ND-2510A and it shows
    >up in TDA 1.6 correctly. I'm not ready to spend the $$ for DL
    >media, yet; but I would be interested to know if there is a layer
    >break problem with TDA (and/or its built-in burner). Have you
    >run across any mention of problems using that approach?
    >

    >Luck;
    > Ken

    I haven't seen anything concerning the software you mentioned. I just
    know that as far as creating authored DVDs (not just duplicating
    commercial movies, etc.), DVD Maestro seems to handle the layer break
    perfectly, letting me place the break exactly where I want it. As long
    as Layer 0 is larger data-wise than Layer 1, everything is fine and
    dandy.

    Kevin Miller, Aug 17, 2004
  12. Barry Delfino

    doug new Guest

    you can even copy the avi to a cdr and your dvd player will play it

    doug new, Aug 22, 2004