    paste?
    If it all makes sense

    thanks

    molecule, Nov 9, 2010

  2. molecule

    philo Guest

    "molecule" <> wrote in message
    news:UwkCo.75849$2...
    > Would like to create an image (.iso) of my C drive (raid 0 loaded with
    > XPpro).
    > I looked at drive image software but was wondering if I can do it this
    > way:
    > i have a spare drive (G) doing nothing (connected to my mobo), if I
    > install windows and Poweriso there as well (so I have dual boot), will I
    > be able to create an image file of my C (raid) drive and save it to my
    > docs drive (E)? Will I be able to write this image back to C (raid)? Or do
    > I just copy and paste?
    > If it all makes sense
    >
    > thanks

    Never tried it...but

    In theory it should work...

    in boot.ini an array has a "signature" which is not the same as one would
    get on a single drive
    so that *might* require a "fixboot" from the repair console

    Note: when cloning a drive...the clone must be disconnected and used for
    booting right after you perform the cloning operation

    philo, Nov 9, 2010

  3. molecule

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Tue, 09 Nov 2010 23:09:37 +0000, molecule wrote:

    > Would like to create an image (.iso) of my C drive (raid 0 loaded with
    > XPpro).
    > I looked at drive image software but was wondering if I can do it this
    > way: i have a spare drive (G) doing nothing (connected to my mobo), if I
    > install windows and Poweriso there as well (so I have dual boot), will I
    > be able to create an image file of my C (raid) drive and save it to my
    > docs drive (E)? Will I be able to write this image back to C (raid)? Or
    > do I just copy and paste?
    > If it all makes sense
    >
    > thanks

    So you want to dual boot XP. Boot #1 will be off a RAID pair #2 will be a
    single drive. You will image your RAID pair to #2. Upon a catastrophic
    failure of the RAID pair you will repair it and then boot from #2 and
    copy the image back to the RAID pair? This should work however the
    bootloader for both boots will probably live on the RAID pair. You will
    have to fix this if you want to boot either if this is th case. If the
    bootloader is on boot #2 drive then it's not an issue. So messing with a
    bootloader is the only thing I can see you doing after restoring your
    image.

    Meat Plow, Nov 10, 2010
  4. molecule

    molecule Guest

    > So you want to dual boot XP. Boot #1 will be off a RAID pair #2 will be a
    > single drive. You will image your RAID pair to #2. Upon a catastrophic
    > failure of the RAID pair you will repair it and then boot from #2 and
    > copy the image back to the RAID pair? This should work however the
    > bootloader for both boots will probably live on the RAID pair. You will
    > have to fix this if you want to boot either if this is th case. If the
    > bootloader is on boot #2 drive then it's not an issue. So messing with a
    > bootloader is the only thing I can see you doing after restoring your
    > image.
    >

    > --
    > Live Fast, Die Young and Leave a Pretty Corpse

    OK Thanks
    If I am lucky enough not to have a catastrophic failure of the raid but a
    nasty virus, will I be able to boot from my #2 drive, low format the raid
    pair with a utility installed in #2 and extrct the image file to the raid
    without having bootloader issues?

    How do I go about making #1 and #2 bootable (indipendently)? Not to familiar
    with bootloader (although I was caught in a similar this issue before but
    rebuilt the system to fix it)

    molecule, Nov 10, 2010
  5. molecule

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Wed, 10 Nov 2010 19:12:21 +0000, molecule wrote:

    >> So you want to dual boot XP. Boot #1 will be off a RAID pair #2 will be
    >> a single drive. You will image your RAID pair to #2. Upon a
    >> catastrophic failure of the RAID pair you will repair it and then boot
    >> from #2 and copy the image back to the RAID pair? This should work
    >> however the bootloader for both boots will probably live on the RAID
    >> pair. You will have to fix this if you want to boot either if this is
    >> th case. If the bootloader is on boot #2 drive then it's not an issue.
    >> So messing with a bootloader is the only thing I can see you doing
    >> after restoring your image.
    >>

    >> --
    >> Live Fast, Die Young and Leave a Pretty Corpse
    >>

    > OK Thanks
    > If I am lucky enough not to have a catastrophic failure of the raid but
    > a nasty virus, will I be able to boot from my #2 drive, low format the
    > raid pair with a utility installed in #2 and extrct the image file to
    > the raid without having bootloader issues?
    >
    > How do I go about making #1 and #2 bootable (indipendently)? Not to
    > familiar with bootloader (although I was caught in a similar this issue
    > before but rebuilt the system to fix it)

    All operating systems need a loader for really low level stuff like
    it happened to go bye bye by booting the XP disc, loading the Recovery
    Console and issuing a fixmbr followed by fixboot ( google this I may be
    wrong in the order.) So it's really not a big deal because it's an easy
    fix. I've used it many times to get rid of linux boot loaders like GRUB
    after someone installed a dual bot linux/Windoze and decided they didn't
    want linux but wanted their Windoze boot loader back. BTW GRUB will boot
    just about any operating system so personally I have no problem using it
    instead of the Windoze loader.

    Meat Plow, Nov 10, 2010
  6. molecule

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    On 09/11/2010 23:09, molecule wrote:
    > Would like to create an image (.iso) of my C drive (raid 0 loaded with
    > XPpro).
    > I looked at drive image software but was wondering if I can do it this way:
    > i have a spare drive (G) doing nothing (connected to my mobo), if I install
    > windows and Poweriso there as well (so I have dual boot), will I be able to
    > create an image file of my C (raid) drive and save it to my docs drive (E)?
    > Will I be able to write this image back to C (raid)? Or do I just copy and
    > paste?
    > If it all makes sense
    >
    > thanks

    Drive snapshot works well http://www.drivesnapshot.de/en/ Save the image
    to an external drive.

    With a RAID 0 array you certainly are going to need some good backups.

    Desk Rabbit, Nov 11, 2010
  7. molecule

    molecule Guest

    Can't believe it...Freash insrtallation and.... got 2 viruses a week later
    from (I think) a usb pen drive, autorun.inf sort of infection. Have disable
    it. Oh well live and learn

    molecule, Nov 14, 2010