    --
    Martin
    ©¿©¬

    Martin ©¿©¬, Jun 5, 2012

  2. Martin ©¿©¬

    Rob Guest

    On 05/06/2012 18:37, Martin ©¿©¬ wrote:
    > hi
    > For some reason I am unable to restore my system
    > When I tried to create a restore point I got a message saying it had
    > failed. I have been googling all afternoon for a fix.
    > Anyone know what the problem might be& how to fix please?
    > using win7 home premium

    Lack of space on the system drive can cause that.
    Another thing to try is turning off System Restore, then turning
    it back on. If all else fails, do a malware scan as these often
    mess with System Restore to prevent it from effectively uninstalling
    them.
    --
    Rob

    Rob, Jun 5, 2012

  3. On Tue, 05 Jun 2012 19:27:51 +0100, Rob <>
    wrote:

    >On 05/06/2012 18:37, Martin ©¿©¬ wrote:
    >> hi
    >> For some reason I am unable to restore my system
    >> When I tried to create a restore point I got a message saying it had
    >> failed. I have been googling all afternoon for a fix.
    >> Anyone know what the problem might be& how to fix please?
    >> using win7 home premium

    >Lack of space on the system drive can cause that.
    >Another thing to try is turning off System Restore, then turning
    >it back on. If all else fails, do a malware scan as these often
    >mess with System Restore to prevent it from effectively uninstalling
    >them.

    Hi Rob
    84gig free on C drive
    Turned system restore off, re-booted, turned system restore on again
    no change
    Did a malware scan before I received your reply found 2 suspects
    re-booted again no change
    --
    Martin
    ©¿©¬

    Martin ©¿©¬, Jun 5, 2012
  4. Martin ©¿©¬

    Jeff Layman Guest

    On 05/06/2012 18:37, Martin ©¿©¬ wrote:
    > hi
    > For some reason I am unable to restore my system
    > When I tried to create a restore point I got a message saying it had
    > failed. I have been googling all afternoon for a fix.
    > Anyone know what the problem might be& how to fix please?
    > using win7 home premium

    When all else fails, it's always worth running sfc /scannow from a
    command prompt. It might fix the problem.

    --

    Jeff

    Jeff Layman, Jun 6, 2012
  5. On Wed, 06 Jun 2012 07:48:24 +0100, Jeff Layman
    <> wrote:

    >On 05/06/2012 18:37, Martin ©¿©¬ wrote:
    >> hi
    >> For some reason I am unable to restore my system
    >> When I tried to create a restore point I got a message saying it had
    >> failed. I have been googling all afternoon for a fix.
    >> Anyone know what the problem might be& how to fix please?
    >> using win7 home premium

    >When all else fails, it's always worth running sfc /scannow from a
    >command prompt. It might fix the problem.

    Thanks Jeff
    How do I do that?
    --
    Martin
    ©¿©¬

    Martin ©¿©¬, Jun 6, 2012
  6. Martin ©¿©¬

    Rob Guest

    On 06/06/2012 09:56, Martin ©¿©¬ wrote:
    > On Wed, 06 Jun 2012 07:48:24 +0100, Jeff Layman
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> On 05/06/2012 18:37, Martin ©¿©¬ wrote:
    >>> hi
    >>> For some reason I am unable to restore my system
    >>> When I tried to create a restore point I got a message saying it had
    >>> failed. I have been googling all afternoon for a fix.
    >>> Anyone know what the problem might be& how to fix please?
    >>> using win7 home premium

    >> When all else fails, it's always worth running sfc /scannow from a
    >> command prompt. It might fix the problem.

    > Thanks Jeff
    > How do I do that?

    Hi Martin,

    You need to get a command window open. Click Start>Run then type
    cmd and hit enter.
    If you don't have the Run command on your Start menu (usually below
    Help and Support), right-click the Start button and select Properties
    then hit the 'Customize' tab.
    Scroll down the list and put a tick in the 'Run command' box.

    Once you have a (black background) command window open, you can type
    sfc /scannow
    which will start the system file checker. You may be asked to insert
    the original windows CD you used to install it.

    HTH,
    --
    Rob

    Rob, Jun 6, 2012
  7. Martin ©¿©¬

    Jeff Layman Guest

    On 06/06/2012 13:35, Rob wrote:
    > On 06/06/2012 09:56, Martin ©¿©¬ wrote:
    >> On Wed, 06 Jun 2012 07:48:24 +0100, Jeff Layman
    >> <> wrote:

    >>> When all else fails, it's always worth running sfc /scannow from a
    >>> command prompt. It might fix the problem.

    >> Thanks Jeff
    >> How do I do that?

    > Hi Martin,
    >
    > You need to get a command window open. Click Start>Run then type
    > cmd and hit enter.
    > If you don't have the Run command on your Start menu (usually below
    > Help and Support), right-click the Start button and select Properties
    > then hit the 'Customize' tab.
    > Scroll down the list and put a tick in the 'Run command' box.
    >
    > Once you have a (black background) command window open, you can type
    > sfc /scannow
    > which will start the system file checker. You may be asked to insert
    > the original windows CD you used to install it.
    >
    > HTH,

    May be a little easier to type cmd in the Start menu search box, and hit
    the enter key, then follow your second paragraph

    --

    Jeff

    Jeff Layman, Jun 6, 2012
  8. Thank you Rob & Jeff
    One learns something new every day
    --
    Regards
    Martin

    Martin ©¿©¬, Jun 6, 2012
  9. Re: create a restore point errorRob & Jeff

    Hi Rob & Jeff
    Finished running sfc/scannow & got a message saying that problems were
    found & fixed. however, when I tried to create a restore point the
    fault message returned?
    --
    Martin
    ©¿©¬

    Martin ©¿©¬, Jun 6, 2012
  10. Re: create a restore point errorRob & Jeff

    On Wed, 06 Jun 2012 19:21:46 +0100, Jeff Layman
    <> wrote:

    >On 06/06/2012 17:32, Martin ©¿©¬ wrote:
    >> Hi Rob& Jeff
    >> Finished running sfc/scannow& got a message saying that problems were
    >> found& fixed. however, when I tried to create a restore point the
    >> fault message returned?

    >What is the exact wording of the error message you are getting?

    Hi Jeff
    Error detected in volume shadow copy service VSS.
    Problem occured while trying to contact VSS writers.
    Verify event system service service & VSS service are running & check
    errors in event logs 0x80042318

    >This is from:
    >http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...-failing/cb21fa82-b772-4238-868d-18ec25dee7d4
    >
    >You need to check that something called the Volume Shadow Copy service
    >is running. In the Start "Search" box, type services. The search
    >should highlight "Services" If it is highlighted, press the "Enter" key
    >or double click on the word "Services". After a few seconds a list
    >called "Services (Local)" will appear in a new window. Scroll down and
    >find "Volume Shadow Copy". What does it say in the "Status" and
    >"Startup Type" columns?
    >
    >If it shows Stopped, right-click Volume Shadow Copy, and then click
    >Start and set it to Automatic.

    Mine were set to stop & manual

    >Repeat the above for the Windows Installer service.

    Did that too

    >Close the Services window you have opened.
    >
    >Now try to create a system restore point.

    Did that but got the same error message!!
    I did notice in msconfig that selective startup was selected
    But I am unable to change to 'normal', when I do select 'normal' and
    click apply it jumps back to selective?
    Now to find out how to fix!!
    --
    Regards
    Martin

    Martin ©¿©¬, Jun 7, 2012
  11. Martin ©¿©¬

    Jeff Layman Guest

    On 07/06/2012 13:41, Martin ©¿©¬ wrote:
    > On Wed, 06 Jun 2012 19:21:46 +0100, Jeff Layman
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> On 06/06/2012 17:32, Martin ©¿©¬ wrote:
    >>> Hi Rob& Jeff
    >>> Finished running sfc/scannow& got a message saying that problems were
    >>> found& fixed. however, when I tried to create a restore point the
    >>> fault message returned?

    >> What is the exact wording of the error message you are getting?

    > Hi Jeff
    > Error detected in volume shadow copy service VSS.
    > Problem occured while trying to contact VSS writers.
    > Verify event system service service& VSS service are running& check
    > errors in event logs 0x80042318
    >

    >> This is from:
    >> http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...-failing/cb21fa82-b772-4238-868d-18ec25dee7d4
    >>
    >> You need to check that something called the Volume Shadow Copy service
    >> is running. In the Start "Search" box, type services. The search
    >> should highlight "Services" If it is highlighted, press the "Enter" key
    >> or double click on the word "Services". After a few seconds a list
    >> called "Services (Local)" will appear in a new window. Scroll down and
    >> find "Volume Shadow Copy". What does it say in the "Status" and
    >> "Startup Type" columns?
    >>
    >> If it shows Stopped, right-click Volume Shadow Copy, and then click
    >> Start and set it to Automatic.

    > Mine were set to stop& manual
    >>
    >> Repeat the above for the Windows Installer service.

    > Did that too
    >>
    >> Close the Services window you have opened.
    >>
    >> Now try to create a system restore point.

    > Did that but got the same error message!!
    > I did notice in msconfig that selective startup was selected
    > But I am unable to change to 'normal', when I do select 'normal' and
    > click apply it jumps back to selective?
    > Now to find out how to fix!!

    One or two other things to check.

    You previously posted that you turned system restore off and then back
    on. In the System Properties | System Protection | Protection Settings
    box, did you check that the "Available Drives" you were trying to set a
    restore point on had "Protection" set to "On"?

    I'm not sure that it matters, but are you running an administrator
    account when you try to create a restore point?

    Also see here:
    http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/223757-system-restore-failed.html

    Trouble is, at the top of page 3 it seems that only a repair install
    fixed the problem!

    There is an interesting solution - for Vista - here:
    http://forums.techarena.in/operating-systems/1127680.htm
    (see penultimate post by Lillebror)

    I have no idea whether or not it would work for Win7 (or what damage it
    might do!).

    If you find the solution please post it here to assist others.

    --

    Jeff

    Jeff Layman, Jun 7, 2012
  12. Re: create a restore point errorRob & Jeff

    On Thu, 07 Jun 2012 15:51:13 +0100, Jeff Layman
    <> wrote:

    >On 07/06/2012 13:41, Martin ©¿©¬ wrote:
    >> On Wed, 06 Jun 2012 19:21:46 +0100, Jeff Layman
    >> <> wrote:

    >>> What is the exact wording of the error message you are getting?

    >> Hi Jeff
    >> Error detected in volume shadow copy service VSS.
    >> Problem occured while trying to contact VSS writers.
    >> Verify event system service service& VSS service are running& check
    >> errors in event logs 0x80042318
    >>

    >>> This is from:
    >>> http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...-failing/cb21fa82-b772-4238-868d-18ec25dee7d4
    >>>
    >>> You need to check that something called the Volume Shadow Copy service
    >>> is running. In the Start "Search" box, type services. The search
    >>> should highlight "Services" If it is highlighted, press the "Enter" key
    >>> or double click on the word "Services". After a few seconds a list
    >>> called "Services (Local)" will appear in a new window. Scroll down and
    >>> find "Volume Shadow Copy". What does it say in the "Status" and
    >>> "Startup Type" columns?
    >>>
    >>> If it shows Stopped, right-click Volume Shadow Copy, and then click
    >>> Start and set it to Automatic.

    >> Mine were set to stop& manual
    >>>
    >>> Repeat the above for the Windows Installer service.

    >> Did that too
    >>>
    >>> Close the Services window you have opened.
    >>>
    >>> Now try to create a system restore point.

    >> Did that but got the same error message!!
    >> I did notice in msconfig that selective startup was selected
    >> But I am unable to change to 'normal', when I do select 'normal' and
    >> click apply it jumps back to selective?
    >> Now to find out how to fix!!

    >One or two other things to check.
    >
    >You previously posted that you turned system restore off and then back
    >on. In the System Properties | System Protection | Protection Settings
    >box, did you check that the "Available Drives" you were trying to set a
    >restore point on had "Protection" set to "On"?
    >
    >I'm not sure that it matters, but are you running an administrator
    >account when you try to create a restore point?
    >
    >Also see here:
    >http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/223757-system-restore-failed.html
    >
    >Trouble is, at the top of page 3 it seems that only a repair install
    >fixed the problem!
    >
    >There is an interesting solution - for Vista - here:
    >http://forums.techarens/1127680.htm
    >(see penultimate post by Lillebror)

    Hi Jeff
    Tried the Vista solution, but it didn't work. I don't think it has
    done any damage

    >I have no idea whether or not it would work for Win7 (or what damage it
    >might do!).
    >
    >If you find the solution please post it here to assist others.

    Will do

    Thank you very much for sticking with me Jeff

    You are not- going to believe what is happening now
    I am getting a message saying my copy of windows in NOT genuine"£$%^&!
    "I do not believe it" That is what I get buying a 2nd hand laptop"
    Perhaps this is the cause of all my problems
    --
    Regards
    Martin

    Martin ©¿©¬, Jun 7, 2012
  13. Re: create a restore point errorRob & Jeff

    On Thu, 7 Jun 2012 14:00:20 -0500, "R. C. White" <>
    wrote:

    >Hi, Martin.
    >
    >> That is what I get buying a 2nd hand laptop" Perhaps this is the cause of
    >> all my problems

    >Could very well be!
    >
    >Did you wipe the hard disk of EVERYTHING and reformat before you put
    >anything important on it? If not, you have no way to know what garbage the
    >previous owner may have installed - or allowed to be installed.
    >
    >Where did you get your copy of Windows? Was it pre-installed on that
    >laptop? If so, then you have no good way to know if it was pirated by some
    >previous user. You may need to buy a new retail copy of Windows - unless
    >you already own one.

    Hi RC
    My copy of windows - 7 home premium 64 bit was pre-installed
    I have a couple of retail copies but not home premium which would not
    necessitate a re-format

    >If you post the make and model of your laptop, perhaps someone here can tell
    >you how to restore it to factory original condition.

    My laptop is a Samsung RC520 which has a restore function included,
    but I was hoping not to have to go that route as Windows Easy Transfer
    makes a mess of Outlook Contacts

    Martin ©¿©¬, Jun 8, 2012