    shooting inward. The resulting virtual photo need to have the quality of a
    real photo.

    This is intended to help take real estate photos of small rooms.
    bob, Jan 9, 2011

  2. bob

    Vance Guest

    On Jan 9, 10:18 am, "bob" <> wrote:
    > Is there a software that can convert a few (or a lot) still photos of a room
    > into a 3D model of the room?
    >
    > Then I should be able to take an otherwise impossible photo of that room.
    > E.g. knock out a virtual wall and place the virtual camera outside the room
    > shooting inward. The resulting virtual photo need to have the quality of a
    > real photo.
    >
    > This is intended to help take real estate photos of small rooms.

    The short form answer is no and you won't likely see it in the near
    future. The closest you will get, at least it is a development that I
    would expect, is software to do virtual tours based on the 3D cameras
    coming out now.

    You really have a solutionn to a problem that doesn't exist and one
    that also creates a problem if the photography/virtual tour
    representation is used for Real Estate sales and that is the potential
    relaince of a buyer on the representation as part of (at least) their
    initial purchase decision, or even to put in a bid. Successful
    lawsuits have been based on retouched photos used to sell Real
    Estate. The further you move from even the nominal mapping of
    objective reality by photography, the confidence that the viewer can
    have that what they see is anything like what exists.

    Also, if it could be done, you are looking at one hell of a lot of
    computing/software power. Think Industrial Light and Magic, or Pixar
    and then it would take a long time to do it.

    Finally, of course, there is the fact that any competent Real Estate
    photographer can shoot a whole house in the amount of time that you
    would be futzing with one room and turn out images that adequately do
    the job of motivating a potential buyer to consider the property and
    turn the whole package in the next day, or maybe the day after.

    If you just want to get artsy, take a picture of a room and then learn
    to use a program like Maya at several thousand dollars, which is what
    I have, but there are others. Programs like that are in fact used by
    architects (they hire someone), urban space planners and others to do
    essentially what you want to do, model an environment without the
    unnecessary step of photography. You can also create 3D
    representations of things to composite into 2D images, which would be
    more efficient than what you are thinking about and something I have
    been known to do.

    Vance
    Vance, Jan 9, 2011