    Fa2/2 0 0 0 0

    Port Deferred-Col False-Car Carri-Sen Sequence-Err
    Fa2/2 0 0 0 0

    switchctidude, Mar 5, 2005

  2. switchctidude

    Merv Guest

    If you are using auto-negiotiation, then try explicitly configuring
    speed and duplex so that they match on both end. Then clear the
    counters for the interfaces in question, run some traffic thru and then
    recheck counters

    Merv, Mar 5, 2005

  3. switchctidude

    Guest

    I agree.

    CRC, Align, and fragments are what would
    be expected on the FD end of a FD-HD mis-smatch.

    The other end usually sees Late Collisions.

    I have seen equipment lie about the duplex settings
    (not cisco) so I now just look at the counters.
    Of course they may be wrong too.

    Ports operating at FD do not (usually?) report collisions
    since they never happen in FD ethernet.

    Finally Note:-

    FD ===---- Auto guarantees a mis-match for
    standards compliant devices.

    I am a bit lacking now in up to date experience
    however I now feel that in a network that is _not
    -constantly-overseen_ by conscientious experts
    the best thing to do would be to set everything to
    Auto and, if that did not work in some instance, to
    use HD. I would avoid if at all possible setting anything
    to FD since it seems to me to be just asking
    for a mis-match to occur.

    Hats on - flames incoming! :)

    , Mar 6, 2005
  4. switchctidude

    Hansang Bae Guest

    wrote:
    [snip]
    > I am a bit lacking now in up to date experience
    > however I now feel that in a network that is _not
    > -constantly-overseen_ by conscientious experts
    > the best thing to do would be to set everything to
    > Auto and, if that did not work in some instance, to
    > use HD. I would avoid if at all possible setting anything
    > to FD since it seems to me to be just asking
    > for a mis-match to occur.
    >
    > Hats on - flames incoming! :)

    These days, I'd tend to agree. In earlier days, AN didn't quite do
    "auto" anything! But these days, auto-auto on end user ports is a way
    to go. On 100Base-T networking equipment, it's best to hard code it.
    (router to switch etc.) But note that on 1000Base-T, auto negotiation
    is a requirement.

    --

    hsb

    Hansang Bae, Mar 6, 2005