CRC & INPUT Errors

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Igor Pinchevskiy, Apr 23, 2007.

  1. Hello,

    I have a Cisco 2500 Series router, and lately I've been getting a lot
    of CRC & Input errors on the ethernet interface, about 250/minute I
    tried switching the cable and a different port on the switch but no
    luck. What could cause this? Could a virus or a worm cause this?

    Here is the output for Show Interface

    Ethernet0/0 is up, line protocol is up
    Hardware is AmdP2, address is 0005.3281.da20 (bia 0005.3281.da20)
    Internet address is 10.3.0.1/16
    MTU 1500 bytes, BW 10000 Kbit, DLY 1000 usec,
    reliability 255/255, txload 2/255, rxload 17/255
    Encapsulation ARPA, loopback not set
    Keepalive not set
    ARP type: ARPA, ARP Timeout 04:00:00
    Last clearing of "show interface" counters 00:09:18
    Queueing strategy: fifo
    Output queue 0/40, 0 drops; input queue 2/75, 0 drops
    127617 packets input, 48804757 bytes, 0 no buffer
    72361 packets output, 6796201 bytes, 0 underruns(0/0/0)
    0 babbles, 0 late collision, 0 deferred
    0 lost carrier, 0 no carrier
    Serial0/0 is up, line protocol is up
    Hardware is PowerQUICC Serial
    Internet address is 192.168.1.1/30
    MTU 1500 bytes, BW 1544 Kbit, DLY 20000 usec,
    reliability 255/255, txload 24/255, rxload 2/255
    Encapsulation PPP, loopback not set
    Keepalive set (10 sec)
    LCP Open
    Open: IPCP, CDPCP
    Last clearing of "show interface" counters 00:09:21
    Input queue: 0/75/0/0 (size/max/drops/flushes); Total output drops
    Queueing strategy: weighted fair
    Output queue: 0/1000/64/0 (size/max total/threshold/drops)
    Conversations 0/2/256 (active/max active/max total)
    Reserved Conversations 0/0 (allocated/max allocated)
    Available Bandwidth 1158 kilobits/sec
    5772 packets input, 673165 bytes, 0 no buffer
    0 input errors, 0 CRC, 0 frame, 0 overrun, 0 ignored, 0 abort
    20715 packets output, 9926159 bytes, 0 underruns
    0 carrier transitions
    DCD=up DSR=up DTR=up RTS=up CTS=up

    Serial0/1 is up, line protocol is up
    Hardware is PowerQUICC Serial
    Internet address is 192.168.1.5/30
    MTU 1500 bytes, BW 1544 Kbit, DLY 20000 usec,
    reliability 255/255, txload 44/255, rxload 5/255
    Encapsulation PPP, loopback not set
    Keepalive set (10 sec)
    LCP Open
    Open: IPCP, CDPCP
    Last clearing of "show interface" counters 00:09:24
    Input queue: 0/75/0/0 (size/max/drops/flushes); Total output drops
    Queueing strategy: weighted fair
    Output queue: 2/1000/64/0 (size/max total/threshold/drops)
    Conversations 1/4/256 (active/max active/max total)
    Reserved Conversations 0/0 (allocated/max allocated)
    Available Bandwidth 1158 kilobits/sec
    13188 packets input, 1481393 bytes, 0 no buffer
    0 input errors, 0 CRC, 0 frame, 0 overrun, 0 ignored, 0 abort
    36278 packets output, 16822755 bytes, 0 underruns
    0 carrier transitions
    DCD=up DSR=up DTR=up RTS=up CTS=up

    Serial0/2 is up, line protocol is up
    Hardware is PQUICC with Fractional T1 CSU/DSU
    Internet address is 192.168.1.9/30
    MTU 1500 bytes, BW 1536 Kbit, DLY 20000 usec,
    reliability 255/255, txload 31/255, rxload 2/255
    Encapsulation PPP, loopback not set
    Keepalive set (10 sec)
    LCP Open
    Open: IPCP, CDPCP
    Last clearing of "show interface" counters 00:09:26
    Input queue: 0/75/0/0 (size/max/drops/flushes); Total output drops
    Queueing strategy: weighted fair
    Output queue: 0/1000/64/0 (size/max total/threshold/drops)
    Conversations 0/2/256 (active/max active/max total)
    Reserved Conversations 0/0 (allocated/max allocated)
    Available Bandwidth 1152 kilobits/sec
    15301 packets input, 1780811 bytes, 0 no buffer
    0 input errors, 0 CRC, 0 frame, 0 overrun, 0 ignored, 0 abort
    33218 packets output, 18992283 bytes, 0 underruns
    0 carrier transitions
    DCD=up DSR=up DTR=up RTS=up CTS=up

    This router also has 3 serial interfaces, and the remote locations
    that connect to this router have experienced very slow and dropped
    connections in the past couple of days and trying to reslove it but no
    luck and all the remote users are getting frastruted.

    I've read another post where someone mentioned to download network
    analyzer to see whats causing these errors, so I'm dowloading the
    solarwind oreon network analyzer, does anyone know how to use it and
    what to look for?

    Any help and advice is greatly appreciated, and thank you in advance.

    Sincerely,
    Igor Pinchevskiy
    Igor Pinchevskiy, Apr 23, 2007

  2. Igor Pinchevskiy

    Arthur Brain Guest

    Igor Pinchevskiy wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have a Cisco 2500 Series router, and lately I've been getting a lot
    > of CRC & Input errors on the ethernet interface, about 250/minute I
    > tried switching the cable and a different port on the switch but no
    > luck. What could cause this? Could a virus or a worm cause this?

    In my experience, it means the interface on the other side of that
    link is running at Half Duplex and so is reporting back Collisions &
    Late Collisions on the link, which this interface reports as Input
    errors and CRC errors.
    Arthur Brain, Apr 24, 2007

  3. Since this is an ehternet interface which connects to a local area
    switch with about 30 other devices, do you think this is caused by a
    single device, should I switch it back to half duplex?

    Igor Pinchevskiy, Apr 24, 2007
  4. Igor Pinchevskiy

    Arthur Brain Guest

    Igor Pinchevskiy wrote:
    > Hello Arthur,

    > I checked one of the remote router's ethernet interface and it wasn't
    > set to full duplex, so i changed it and the CRC's went down, but still
    > getting some, about 5 every 5 minutes or so.

    I was going to suggest doing a sh int on the other end of the ethernet
    link (you should have seen Collisions & Late Collisions, plus seen
    what it had for a Duplex configuration).

    Setting Auto/Auto at each end might work, otherwise forcing both ends
    of the link as 100Mb/FullDuplex might be required.

    For a comms link like this, specifying 100/FD on both ends would be
    the preferable planned configuration, I think.

    Having said that, I had one recently where collisions and/or other
    errors were generated on a link with every single combination of speed/
    duplex EXCEPT Auto/Auto, which was weird.
    Arthur Brain, Apr 24, 2007
  5. Igor Pinchevskiy

    brickwalls19 Guest

    On Apr 24, 12:39 am, Arthur Brain <> wrote:
    > Igor Pinchevskiy wrote:
    > > Hello Arthur,
    > > I checked one of the remote router's ethernet interface and it wasn't
    > > set to full duplex, so i changed it and the CRC's went down, but still
    > > getting some, about 5 every 5 minutes or so.

    > I was going to suggest doing a sh int on the other end of the ethernet
    > link (you should have seen Collisions & Late Collisions, plus seen
    > what it had for a Duplex configuration).
    >
    > Setting Auto/Auto at each end might work, otherwise forcing both ends
    > of the link as 100Mb/FullDuplex might be required.
    >
    > For a comms link like this, specifying 100/FD on both ends would be
    > the preferable planned configuration, I think.
    >
    > Having said that, I had one recently where collisions and/or other
    > errors were generated on a link with every single combination of speed/
    > duplex EXCEPT Auto/Auto, which was weird.

    make sure you stick to a standard configuration for NICs and switch
    ports. either have both side in auto-negotiate or hard-coded. there
    have been many times where i argued with the server deployment team to
    set their NICs to 100/full since i hard-code my switch ports to 100/
    full.

    collisions / align errors / runts are good indicators of duplex
    mismatches.
    brickwalls19, May 2, 2007