Crazy Keyboard Problem

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by brent.mccray@gmail.com, Nov 6, 2007.

  1. Guest

    I have a crazy keyboard problem where I type the following keys and
    receive the corresponding outputs:

    Key Output
    5 g5
    6 h6
    g g5
    h h6
    - '-
    ' '-
    Backspace \

    I received multiple hits on Google with people having the exact same
    problem but there is no evidence of resolution to the problem so far.
    As people with the same problem have had multiple different types of
    equipment: Compaq, Dell, IBM, etc it is apparent that it is not a HW
    problem particular to any one brand. Attempts to update BIOS,
    drivers, etc have yielded no results.

    In my instance, the machine is a generic brand laptop, Windows, XP,
    I've checked for driver updates, made sure the Regional and Keyboard
    setting are correct, rebooted, checked the Num Lk and Scr Lk keys.

    The only thing I can think of considering that others have had the
    same thing with different brands is that it could be a virus.

    Has anyone out there seen the resolution to this problem?

    Thanks Much..

    , Nov 6, 2007

  2. nobody > Guest

    richard wrote:
    > On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 20:22:35 -0800, wrote:
    >
    >> I have a crazy keyboard problem where I type the following keys and
    >> receive the corresponding outputs:
    >>
    >> Key Output
    >> 5 g5
    >> 6 h6
    >> g g5
    >> h h6
    >> - '-
    >> ' '-
    >> Backspace \
    >>
    >> I received multiple hits on Google with people having the exact same
    >> problem but there is no evidence of resolution to the problem so far.
    >> As people with the same problem have had multiple different types of
    >> equipment: Compaq, Dell, IBM, etc it is apparent that it is not a HW
    >> problem particular to any one brand. Attempts to update BIOS,
    >> drivers, etc have yielded no results.
    >>
    >> In my instance, the machine is a generic brand laptop, Windows, XP,
    >> I've checked for driver updates, made sure the Regional and Keyboard
    >> setting are correct, rebooted, checked the Num Lk and Scr Lk keys.
    >>
    >> The only thing I can think of considering that others have had the
    >> same thing with different brands is that it could be a virus.
    >>
    >> Has anyone out there seen the resolution to this problem?
    >>
    >> Thanks Much..

    > if that many people are having the same problem, then it is most likely NOT
    > a virus. It could be something internally wrong within the keyboard itself.
    > A good way to check that out is to acquire another keyboard and use it.
    >
    > I've had a couple of keyboards do strange things after getting hit with
    > various liquids. Could also be something simple like a bad solder joint.

    It sounds like a pair (or more) of matrix lines (circuit traces) are
    shorted. "Shorted" isn't quite right as it's not a metal-on-metal
    connection. With most keyboard circuitry, a dried trail of soda or
    coffee can cause this.

    I'd put it in the dishwasher, top shelf/face down, std dishwashing
    detergent .... shake the hell out of it when it comes out. See what
    happens. I've rescued many keyboards that way when the puterstore isn't
    open or is too far away.

    If that doesn't work, buy a new keyboard.

    nobody >, Nov 6, 2007

  3. richard Guest

    richard, Nov 6, 2007
  4. chuckcar Guest

    wrote in

    > I have a crazy keyboard problem where I type the following keys and
    > receive the corresponding outputs:
    >
    > Key Output
    > 5 g5
    > 6 h6
    > g g5
    > h h6
    > - '-
    > ' '-
    > Backspace \
    >
    > I received multiple hits on Google with people having the exact same
    > problem but there is no evidence of resolution to the problem so far.
    > As people with the same problem have had multiple different types of
    > equipment: Compaq, Dell, IBM, etc it is apparent that it is not a HW
    > problem particular to any one brand. Attempts to update BIOS,
    > drivers, etc have yielded no results.
    >
    > In my instance, the machine is a generic brand laptop, Windows, XP,
    > I've checked for driver updates, made sure the Regional and Keyboard
    > setting are correct, rebooted, checked the Num Lk and Scr Lk keys.
    >
    > The only thing I can think of considering that others have had the
    > same thing with different brands is that it could be a virus.
    >
    > Has anyone out there seen the resolution to this problem?
    >
    > Thanks Much..

    Try restarting your computer into safe mode command prompt only and test
    it there. If you *don't* get the same result, it could be either a
    trojan/virus. the word exit alone on a new prompt should restart back to
    normal.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Nov 6, 2007
  5. bardeban Guest

    My problem started when I changed OS from XP to VISTA.
    So I changed the keyboard and that was the end of it.

    bardeban, Nov 6, 2007