crazy domains

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Reg@nospam.com, Jul 22, 2013.

  1. Guest

    , Jul 22, 2013

  2. Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>, ,
    says...

    > Is there any reason not to use crazydomains.co.nz as a registrar?
    > They are not listed on
    > http://dnc.org.nz/content/srs_registrar_list.html
    > Should that be cause for concern?

    Probably not.

    However I hear from a very reliable source that DNS Management is NOT
    free - that is, you have to pay $24 for (to setup and point) A and C
    records!

    --
    Duncan.
    Dave Doe, Jul 23, 2013

  3. Dave Doe Guest

    In article <-september.org>,
    , Dave Doe says...

    > In article <>, ,
    > says...
    > >
    > > Is there any reason not to use crazydomains.co.nz as a registrar?
    > > They are not listed on
    > > http://dnc.org.nz/content/srs_registrar_list.html
    > > Should that be cause for concern?

    > Probably not.
    >
    > However I hear from a very reliable source that DNS Management is NOT
    > free - that is, you have to pay $24 for (to setup and point) A and C
    > records!

    Just FYI...

    I sent an email to a mate, thinking, maybe he might know??? His
    reply...

    Subj: Do you know much about these people? - seems very cheap...

    Yes

    I bought a domain off them yesterday $15 - wellingtonquakelive.co.nz

    They are s<expletive deleted :)>!

    NO DNS Management tools (A, CNAME etc) unless you pay $24

    I just changed the NameServers to a different one (IServe) and managed
    to get around it that way. But there was issues with caching etc. Seems
    to be resolved now.

    After 5 days you can transfer to another company.

    --
    Duncan.
    Dave Doe, Jul 23, 2013
  4. Guest

    On Tue, 23 Jul 2013 13:08:41 +1200, Dave Doe <> wrote:

    >In article <-september.org>,
    >, Dave Doe says...
    >>
    >> In article <>, ,
    >> says...
    >> >
    >> > Is there any reason not to use crazydomains.co.nz as a registrar?
    >> > They are not listed on
    >> > http://dnc.org.nz/content/srs_registrar_list.html
    >> > Should that be cause for concern?

    >> Probably not.
    >>
    >> However I hear from a very reliable source that DNS Management is NOT
    >> free - that is, you have to pay $24 for (to setup and point) A and C
    >> records!

    >Just FYI...
    >
    >I sent an email to a mate, thinking, maybe he might know??? His
    >reply...
    >
    >Subj: Do you know much about these people? - seems very cheap...
    >
    >Yes
    >
    >I bought a domain off them yesterday $15 - wellingtonquakelive.co.nz
    >
    >They are s<expletive deleted :)>!
    >
    >NO DNS Management tools (A, CNAME etc) unless you pay $24
    >
    >I just changed the NameServers to a different one (IServe) and managed
    >to get around it that way. But there was issues with caching etc. Seems
    >to be resolved now.
    >
    >After 5 days you can transfer to another company.

    Thanks Dave.
    That is just what we need to know. I am sorting this out for a mate
    and have never had a .co.nz domain myself.
    He would not be put off by the dollars but any hassle he would not
    thank me for:)
    , Jul 23, 2013
  5. Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>, ,
    says...

    > On Tue, 23 Jul 2013 13:08:41 +1200, Dave Doe <> wrote:
    >
    > >In article <-september.org>,
    > >, Dave Doe says...
    > >>
    > >> In article <>, ,
    > >> says...

    > >> Probably not.
    > >>
    > >> However I hear from a very reliable source that DNS Management is NOT
    > >> free - that is, you have to pay $24 for (to setup and point) A and C
    > >> records!

    > >Just FYI...
    > >
    > >I sent an email to a mate, thinking, maybe he might know??? His
    > >reply...
    > >
    > >Subj: Do you know much about these people? - seems very cheap...
    > >
    > >Yes
    > >
    > >I bought a domain off them yesterday $15 - wellingtonquakelive.co.nz
    > >
    > >They are s<expletive deleted :)>!
    > >
    > >NO DNS Management tools (A, CNAME etc) unless you pay $24
    > >
    > >I just changed the NameServers to a different one (IServe) and managed
    > >to get around it that way. But there was issues with caching etc. Seems
    > >to be resolved now.
    > >
    > >After 5 days you can transfer to another company.

    > Thanks Dave.
    > That is just what we need to know. I am sorting this out for a mate
    > and have never had a .co.nz domain myself.
    > He would not be put off by the dollars but any hassle he would not
    > thank me for:)

    I think it depends on what your mate's trying to do. However, it's
    quite typical to use a registrar that is NOT the host for the webserver
    or e-mail server - in which case, Crazy Domains doesn't look like a good
    choice. (ie one uses the Registrar to for the name registration service
    *only*, and you use their DNS management facility to point stuff to
    servers (web, mail, ftp, sub-domains etc etc).

    If the e-mail server is hosted internally (by your mate), then there is
    possibly (usually) little redundancy, then having a backup mail service
    is worth a look (if e-mail transmission is *vital* - ie 100% of the
    time). I use DNSMadeEasy's backup MX service for this...
    http://www.dnsmadeeasy.com/services/backup-email/
    ($13 USD / year).

    And that in itself can have problems on some Domain Registrars - eg.
    even Freeparking's DNS management system does not allow that addition of
    the three extra MX records. However, it's just a matter of phoning 'em
    or asking them and they'll do that for you for nothing. No problems
    doing this yourself on GoDaddy (however they're not very cheap for .nz
    domains).

    --
    Duncan.
    Dave Doe, Jul 23, 2013