    Barry

    --
    Please remove (Unwanted) before any reply

    Barry, Nov 29, 2003

  2. Barry

    philo Guest

    "Barry" <bernard.verona@(Unwanted)cgocable.ca> wrote in message
    news:i92yb.71007$...
    > My PC has the habit of crashing, usually after I have closed all windows

    and
    > engaged the internet lock. I have the feeling it's because the programs

    take
    > rather a long time to close and the "lock" is engaged too early.

    Why not wait a few minuted before using the "lock" and see what happens?

    > If I close all programs but do not engage the internet lock (Zone Alarm)

    is
    > there a possibility that I can be hacked?

    It's my understanding that the internet lock will stop *all* internet
    connections...
    however, if you do not use it...your firewall is still active and thus will
    minimimize your chances of being hacked. Of course anytime you remain
    connected to the internet...even with a firewall there is still some chance
    (probably a small one) that it could happen.

    If you have a dial-up conection...all you need to do is disconnect...
    or if you use a cable modem...they usually can be turned off.

    philo, Nov 29, 2003

  3. Barry

    °Mike° Guest

    Outpost 2.0
    Outpost 1.0 (free)
    www.agnitum.com/download/outpost1.html
    Outpost Firewall Guide
    http://outpostfirewall.com/guide/index.htm

    On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 14:35:58 GMT, in
    <i92yb.71007$>
    "Barry" <bernard.verona@(Unwanted)cgocable.ca> scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Nov 29, 2003
  4. Barry

    anthonyberet Guest

    Barry wrote:
    > My PC has the habit of crashing, usually after I have closed all
    > windows and engaged the internet lock. I have the feeling it's
    > because the programs take rather a long time to close and the "lock"
    > is engaged too early.
    >
    > If I close all programs but do not engage the internet lock (Zone
    > Alarm) is there a possibility that I can be hacked?

    No more possiblity than when you are using your internet connection.
    -as long as you are carefull what you give outgoing permission for and sweep
    your machine for trojans pretty regularly you will be ok.
    I use Kerio firewall now, It gives more info than zonealarm.
    be spam-filtered.
    Do you use filesharing networks? If so, please visit my online poll:
    http://vote.sparklit.com/web_poll.spark/780772
    anthonyberet

    anthonyberet, Nov 29, 2003
  5. Barry

    DH Guest

    Turn your computer off. Leaving your computer running all the time is a
    mistake. Turn it off when not in use, then you won't have to worry about it.

    DH, Nov 30, 2003