    I'd obviously like to send back the feedback to these crashes, but it
    won't connect. I'm on a normal dial up connection (with Freeserve),
    anyone know how I should configure the settings so that it will report back?

    Stuart, Feb 2, 2004

  2. Stuart

    dantu Guest

    Stuart wrote:

    > My copy of Mozilla 1.5 has started crashing with no warning.... in
    > fact the first I know it crashes is when the Netscape Feedback agent
    > thingy opens up.
    >
    > I'd obviously like to send back the feedback to these crashes, but it
    > won't connect. I'm on a normal dial up connection (with Freeserve),
    > anyone know how I should configure the settings so that it will report
    > back?

    Stuart

    What do you mean it wont connect? What error message do you
    get, or what leads you to the conclusion that it wont connect?

    You can disable Talkback if you wish.

    dantu, Feb 3, 2004

  3. Stuart

    Stuart Guest

    dantu wrote:

    > What do you mean it wont connect? What error message do you get,
    > or what leads you to the conclusion that it wont connect?
    >
    > You can disable Talkback if you wish.

    I know I can, but that would defeat the point, if it is crashing I'd
    much rather it told someone so that it might prevent it happening in
    future versions.

    It gets half way through trying to send an error report and then gives
    me the error message 'The agent is unable to conect to the server,
    Please check Proxy settings or try again later'

    I don't have any proxy set in Mozilla, but the agent seems to insist on some

    Stuart, Feb 3, 2004
  4. Stuart

    GFRfan Guest

    On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 23:28:03 +0000, Stuart
    <> wrote:

    >dantu wrote:
    >

    >> What do you mean it wont connect? What error message do you get,
    >> or what leads you to the conclusion that it wont connect?
    >>
    >> You can disable Talkback if you wish.

    >I know I can, but that would defeat the point, if it is crashing I'd
    >much rather it told someone so that it might prevent it happening in
    >future versions.
    >
    >It gets half way through trying to send an error report and then gives
    >me the error message 'The agent is unable to conect to the server,
    >Please check Proxy settings or try again later'
    >
    >I don't have any proxy set in Mozilla, but the agent seems to insist on some

    The point is that Talkback can actually be the CAUSE of the crashes.

    GFRfan, Feb 3, 2004
  5. Stuart

    dantu Guest

    Stuart wrote:

    > dantu wrote:
    >

    >> What do you mean it wont connect? What error message do you
    >> get, or what leads you to the conclusion that it wont connect?
    >>
    >> You can disable Talkback if you wish.

    > I know I can, but that would defeat the point, if it is crashing I'd
    > much rather it told someone so that it might prevent it happening in
    > future versions.
    >
    > It gets half way through trying to send an error report and then gives
    > me the error message 'The agent is unable to conect to the server,
    > Please check Proxy settings or try again later'
    >
    > I don't have any proxy set in Mozilla, but the agent seems to insist
    > on some

    Do you have a firewall in use?

    dantu, Feb 4, 2004
  6. GFRfan wrote:
    > On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 23:28:03 +0000, Stuart
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>dantu wrote:
    >>

    >>> What do you mean it wont connect? What error message do you get,
    >>>or what leads you to the conclusion that it wont connect?
    >>>
    >>> You can disable Talkback if you wish.

    >>I know I can, but that would defeat the point, if it is crashing I'd
    >>much rather it told someone so that it might prevent it happening in
    >>future versions.
    >>
    >>It gets half way through trying to send an error report and then gives
    >>me the error message 'The agent is unable to conect to the server,
    >>Please check Proxy settings or try again later'
    >>
    >>I don't have any proxy set in Mozilla, but the agent seems to insist on some

    > The point is that Talkback can actually be the CAUSE of the crashes.

    I'm curious, how do you suypport that statement?

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Feb 4, 2004
  7. Stuart

    Stuart Guest

    dantu wrote:
    > Do you have a firewall in use?

    No firewall

    Stuart, Feb 4, 2004
  8. Stuart

    dantu Guest

    Stuart wrote:

    > dantu wrote:
    >
    >> Do you have a firewall in use?

    > No firewall

    Stuart

    It would help if you didnt edit or snip thanks. To you the
    problem is known/fresh, to me I have to go back to previous messages to
    see what the problem is and what has been done/asked previously. Thanks
    for your consideration in this matter.

    You imply that at one time Talkback was working just fine,
    is this an accurate assumption? Has anything changed since the time it
    was working?

    dantu, Feb 4, 2004
  9. Stuart

    Stuart Guest

    > It would help if you didnt edit or snip thanks. To you the
    > problem is known/fresh, to me I have to go back to previous messages to
    > see what the problem is and what has been done/asked previously. Thanks
    > for your consideration in this matter.

    I'd assume anyone who didn't know would look at the rest of the thread.

    > You imply that at one time Talkback was working just fine, is
    > this an accurate assumption? Has anything changed since the time it was
    > working?

    No, it's never needed to work before. It's the first time it's popped up

    Stuart, Feb 5, 2004
  10. Stuart

    dantu Guest

    Stuart wrote:

    >> It would help if you didnt edit or snip thanks. To you the
    >> problem is known/fresh, to me I have to go back to previous messages
    >> to see what the problem is and what has been done/asked previously.
    >> Thanks for your consideration in this matter.

    > I'd assume anyone who didn't know would look at the rest of the thread.
    >

    >> You imply that at one time Talkback was working just fine,
    >> is this an accurate assumption? Has anything changed since the time
    >> it was working?

    > No, it's never needed to work before. It's the first time it's popped up

    You assume that everyone has LOTS of time to go back and look at threads
    to try to ascertain what the problem is, and whats been suggested
    previously? Try doing that for the dozen open threads in this groups
    alone, or the dozens in other groups. Peoples time is important.
    Assuming that YOUR problem is so important to others is a falacy. Why
    should I go back and view up to a dozen or more messages just to figure
    out what your problem is, and whats been done so far? I have lots
    better things to do with my time thank you very much.
    You want to snip and edit, then fine, its your problem, you
    can resolve it.

    You mean this is the first time Mozilla has crashed on you? How many
    times has this occurred?

    dantu, Feb 5, 2004
  11. Stuart

    Stuart Guest

    dantu wrote:

    > You mean this is the first time Mozilla has crashed on you? How many
    > times has this occurred?

    In the past week about 3 times, on all 3 occasions the quality agent has
    popped up, prepared a report and then failed to send it due to wong
    proxy settings..... but I have no proxy (as far as I know)

    Stuart, Feb 5, 2004
  12. Stuart

    dantu Guest

    Stuart wrote:

    > dantu wrote:
    >
    >> You mean this is the first time Mozilla has crashed on you? How many
    >> times has this occurred?

    > In the past week about 3 times, on all 3 occasions the quality agent
    > has popped up, prepared a report and then failed to send it due to
    > wong proxy settings..... but I have no proxy (as far as I know)

    So which do you want to fix? The crashes or the reporting of them?

    dantu, Feb 5, 2004
  13. Stuart

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Stuart wrote:

    > dantu wrote:
    >

    >>You mean this is the first time Mozilla has crashed on you? How many
    >>times has this occurred?

    > In the past week about 3 times, on all 3 occasions the quality agent has
    > popped up, prepared a report and then failed to send it due to wong
    > proxy settings..... but I have no proxy (as far as I know)

    ROFLMAO!

    Thank you so much! That's the best laugh I've had in days. After
    reading the long explanation about why snipping pertinent previous
    messages is a bad idea, I then see this answer where virtually
    everything has been snipped. Hilarious. Utterly hilarious. So much
    for asking nicely and then explaining.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Feb 5, 2004
  14. Stuart

    Stuart Guest

    Ed Mullen wrote:

    > Thank you so much! That's the best laugh I've had in days. After
    > reading the long explanation about why snipping pertinent previous
    > messages is a bad idea, I then see this answer where virtually
    > everything has been snipped. Hilarious. Utterly hilarious. So much
    > for asking nicely and then explaining.

    I'm more used to the world of e-mail mailing lists where less is more,
    especially when quoting.

    I can't help it if I have to re-iterate everything from the start
    because Dantu (and apparently others) can't be arsed to follow the thread.

    Stuart, Feb 6, 2004
  15. Stuart

    dantu Guest

    Stuart wrote:

    > Ed Mullen wrote:
    >
    >> Thank you so much! That's the best laugh I've had in days. After
    >> reading the long explanation about why snipping pertinent previous
    >> messages is a bad idea, I then see this answer where virtually
    >> everything has been snipped. Hilarious. Utterly hilarious. So much
    >> for asking nicely and then explaining.

    > I'm more used to the world of e-mail mailing lists where less is more,
    > especially when quoting.
    >
    > I can't help it if I have to re-iterate everything from the start
    > because Dantu (and apparently others) can't be arsed to follow the
    > thread.

    Well fine

    I DONT have the time to go back and read this entire thread
    each time I am in this group, and I have hundreds of threads to go
    through. I have a good memory, but I dont remember everything about the
    dozens of problems people post about each day. Without previous messages
    available right there for the scrolling, available in long connected
    messages, I'm not about to waste my time trying to ascertain what your
    problem is, whats been asked, whats been suggested just because YOU want
    to snip.
    So, if you want help, then learn not to snip. You dont want
    to snip, then dont expect me or anyone else to take the time to go back
    and read your rants, because thats all they are if you continue on this
    course.

    You dont have to re-iterate anything, all you have to do is
    quote it. I mean, its really quite simple and takes but one setting on
    your part, the program does the rest.

    You want to snip, then ask your question in your email list
    world where such editing may be appreciated.

    You have a problem, you want help or answers. You have
    been told several times how to get those answers. I guess you dont
    really want them. So you can resolve your own problem then.

    When in Rome do as the Romans do. And in this Rome, the
    natives dont snip or edit out posts. This aint Kansas Todo

    dantu, Feb 6, 2004
  16. Stuart wrote:

    > Ed Mullen wrote:
    >
    >> Thank you so much! That's the best laugh I've had in days. After
    >> reading the long explanation about why snipping pertinent previous
    >> messages is a bad idea, I then see this answer where virtually
    >> everything has been snipped. Hilarious. Utterly hilarious. So much
    >> for asking nicely and then explaining.

    > I'm more used to the world of e-mail mailing lists where less is more,
    > especially when quoting.
    >
    > I can't help it if I have to re-iterate everything from the start
    > because Dantu (and apparently others) can't be arsed to follow the thread.

    Well, there are two sides to this.

    First note that I have appended my Mozilla Champions sig to this
    message. I do not ordinarily so , since this is not an official
    Champions help group. However, take a look at the Posting Guidelines,
    linked in my sig, for an explanation of why we ask for a no snipping
    policy on out groups. You might also want to take a look at our Mozdev
    page, also linked from my sig, which will give you a bit more insight
    into who the Champs are.

    I understand that these guidelines refer to the secnews.netscape.mozilla
    groups specifically. While you are well within your rights to snip in
    this group, take note that there are several Champs who do monitor this
    group and try to help out, Ed, Dan, and myself included.

    We monitor a number of secnews groups, and a number of others as well.
    In order to provide the most tech support help for the most people, the
    less information snipped, the better.

    I monitor about 15 newsgroups a day on Mozilla issues, and several
    others on html issues, as well as various forums. If I can see all or
    most of the progress on your tec=h support issue in one post, I can help
    you better. If I have to open every post in a thread, one by one, just
    for time considerations, I may be forced to pass on helping you.

    As stated, this is not an official Champs monitored group, but we are
    here to help you. For us to give you the best help, give the Posting
    Guidelines some thought. If you decide snip, go right ahead. We may
    have to pass on helping you just becaues of time.

    Be well.

    Lee
    --
    Leonidas Jones
    Mozilla Champion

    http://mozilla.org

    Leonidas Jones, Feb 7, 2004
  17. Stuart

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Stuart wrote:

    > Ed Mullen wrote:
    >

    >>Thank you so much! That's the best laugh I've had in days. After
    >>reading the long explanation about why snipping pertinent previous
    >>messages is a bad idea, I then see this answer where virtually
    >>everything has been snipped. Hilarious. Utterly hilarious. So much
    >>for asking nicely and then explaining.

    > I'm more used to the world of e-mail mailing lists where less is more,
    > especially when quoting.
    >
    > I can't help it if I have to re-iterate everything from the start
    > because Dantu (and apparently others) can't be arsed to follow the thread.

    Some people configure their news readers to only display "unread"
    threads and messages. It is VERY inconvenient for them to have to go
    back to previous messages to try and figure out what the hell is going
    on in a given thread when it has been pruned of previous content. Now,
    in casual groups this is probably ok. In tech support groups, however,
    it is problematic because the people providing the answers (like Dantu,
    Leonidas, and myself) are sifting through literally thousands of
    messages each day.

    We visit this group and offer help freely. It is, however, only one of
    very many groups we visit each day and, in many cases, all day long. We
    cannot enforce the preference to not snip previous posts in this group.
    However, we can decline to answer questions in posts that have been
    snipped and have, hence, become a burden to us to track and understand.
    Nothing personal, just a practical matter of time available for the job
    to be done.

    BTW, if you want to avail yourself of more venues for Mozilla support,
    please have look at these pages:

    http://www.edmullen.ehost.com/moz.html#top
    http://edmullen.net/Mozilla/moz_info_ed.html
    http://edmullen.net/Mozilla/moz_news_ns.html

    And, as always, take a look at the links in our signatures.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Feb 7, 2004