    Nationwide quoted $399.00...... Is that my only option at this point?
    Thanks,
    JG

    Seacocck, Sep 27, 2004

  2. Seacocck

    Mark Mandell Guest

    One that I know of because it's frequently mentioned over at www.pcguide.com
    is called Get Data Back. Do a google on it cause they do have a website.

    Mark Mandell, Sep 28, 2004

  3. Seacocck

    Bradley26 Guest

    Arrrr, Ive seen this kind of problem matey, sure and it be that you could
    connect the rusty sea serpent on the secondary IDE with the CD burner. Just
    scrape off the barnicles and it should fit nicely.

    Try to see it in the bios, and boot to windows, in the explorer menu portal.
    try to find your files manually and burn them onto a CD as quickly as you
    can.

    if this step should fail, to the computer store set sail.

    buy something like Nortons disk works to help you navigate a path across the
    old disk

    it should let you force read the disk. you can do all that before the last
    resort of a data extraction process

    Bradley26, Sep 30, 2004
  4. Seacocck

    Thor Guest

    "Bradley26" <> wrote in message
    > Arrrr, Ive seen this kind of problem matey, sure and it be that you could
    > connect the rusty sea serpent on the secondary IDE with the CD burner.
    > Just
    > scrape off the barnicles and it should fit nicely.
    >
    > Try to see it in the bios, and boot to windows, in the explorer menu
    > portal.
    > try to find your files manually and burn them onto a CD as quickly as you
    > can.
    >
    > if this step should fail, to the computer store set sail.
    >
    > buy something like Nortons disk works to help you navigate a path across
    > the
    > old disk
    >
    > it should let you force read the disk.

    None of those suggestions will work when the system cannot even recognize
    the drive, as he clearly said it doesn't. The drive is most likely refusing
    to initialize, probably due to a logic board failure. While he could chance
    swapping the logic board from an identical model drive, if he can acquire
    one, the most likely way to recover the data would be to send it to a
    professional recovery service, if the data is very important.

    Thor, Sep 30, 2004
  5. Seacocck

    Bradley26 Guest

    yes, but like I said, Ive seen them not respond and not boot, then work good
    enough to get data off of

    whatever the failure mechanism is, ones exhibiting this identical problem,
    would sometimes work long enough to get data

    even when the bios does not see them, hit the F5 or whatever button to do
    the auto detect. out of 10 times, it may only see the drive 3 times

    Bradley26, Sep 30, 2004
  6. Seacocck

    ProfGene Guest

    this site doesn't mention ruined drives but since they have a free demo it
    is worth trying before you spend more money. http://www.stellarinfo.com/

    ProfGene, Oct 1, 2004
  7. Seacocck

    Seacocck Guest

    thanks for the feedback...but this drive justs clicks when connected to either
    eide cable.So I assume it is a physical crash( heads or whatever is in
    there).Also I 've read that the more clicking you do , the more damage you
    do....I don't know anything about the bios or how to navigate there ..Is that
    something that you can easily explain.I assume you enter setup..I'm a quick
    study ...any help would be appeciated...thanks again......JG

    Seacocck, Oct 3, 2004
  8. Seacocck

    Bradley26 Guest

    ok, that does sound worse. you might setup a microphone and record the
    sound and save that to a file and possibly narrate it, turning on power, etc

    the sound of it spinning up and the specific clicks say a lot about the
    problem.

    if it clicks constantly, then yes do the data recovery route.

    if there is physical damage to the heads and media, it will get worse fast.

    Bradley26, Oct 4, 2004