    ntldr is missing press any key to restart
    any ideas guys,much obliged if you could help
    please reply by email if conveniant

    beryl lee, Aug 28, 2004

  2. beryl lee

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "beryl lee" <> wrote in
    news:pH_Xc.11037$:

    > hi all,my friend was running windows me and it kept locking up
    > whenever he tried to start an app.i tried installing windows 2000 over
    > the top of his existing system using prompts from the win 2000 cd.the
    > whole thing crashed halfway through installation,now it wont boot from
    > a floppy and ive tried pressing each function key to get into bios but
    > i cant get bios to present itself.it goes through the usual specs of
    > pc like locating cd rom and showing the hard drive,ram and processor
    > type but then it just says ntldr is missing press any key to restart
    > any ideas guys,much obliged if you could help
    > please reply by email if conveniant

    That means that you have a floppy disk in the drive that is not a boot
    disk and you need to remove it and press any key to continue or the HD is
    not bootable anymore. You should be able to get into the BIOS well before
    that happens and boot from the Win2k Install CD.

    Best practice is to format and wipeout ME.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Aug 28, 2004

  3. beryl lee

    DalienX Guest

    beryl lee wrote:

    > hi all,my friend was running windows me and it kept locking up
    > whenever he tried to start an app.i tried installing windows 2000
    > over the top of his existing system using prompts from the win 2000
    > cd.the whole thing crashed halfway through installation,now it wont
    > boot from a floppy and ive tried pressing each function key to get
    > into bios but i cant get bios to present itself.it goes through the
    > usual specs of pc like locating cd rom and showing the hard drive,ram
    > and processor type but then it just says ntldr is missing press any
    > key to restart any ideas guys,much obliged if you could help
    > please reply by email if conveniant

    del might get you into the bios.
    as to the problem..... format it and put XP on :)

    --
    DalienX

    DalienX, Aug 28, 2004
  4. beryl lee

    Anthony Guest

    "DalienX" <> wrote in message
    > beryl lee wrote:
    >
    >> hi all,my friend was running windows me and it kept locking up
    >> whenever he tried to start an app.i tried installing windows 2000
    >> over the top of his existing system using prompts from the win 2000
    >> cd.the whole thing crashed halfway through installation,now it wont
    >> boot from a floppy and ive tried pressing each function key to get
    >> into bios but i cant get bios to present itself.it goes through the
    >> usual specs of pc like locating cd rom and showing the hard drive,ram
    >> and processor type but then it just says ntldr is missing press any
    >> key to restart any ideas guys,much obliged if you could help
    >> please reply by email if conveniant

    > del might get you into the bios.
    > as to the problem..... format it and put XP on :)

    Don't go recommending that. He may only have 64mb of ram and a piece of
    shit machine.

    Anyway, your first problem is Windows ME. Get rid of it. It's a piece of
    shit and you shouldnt be using it.

    If you have atleast 256mb of ram (512mb preferred) and a decent CPU put on
    XP as suggested. If not, go back to Win98 for you.

    But get rid of Win ME.

    Anthony, Aug 28, 2004
  5. beryl lee

    bmoag Guest

    If you get a coherent video signal and get past the first posting beep then
    the motherboard and CPU are probably alright. You may have a hard drive that
    is failing or a problem with one of the RAM modules. Hard drive failures at
    first seem to be anything but a hard drive failure. Most problems of this
    nature are actually software related: for example too many programlets
    starting at boot time eating all available resources or a corrupt video
    driver.

    You do not say how much RAM/memory is on the machine or the size of the hard
    drive. You need at least 128mbs of memory to run Win9x stably.

    You do not say if this is a new problem in a machine that previously was
    stable.

    You do not have to reformat the hard drive: you will lose any saved
    documents. However you need to see if you can access the hard drive reliably
    with a Win98 or WinME startup floppy. You have to learn a few DOS commands
    to see if you are able to read what is on the drive at all. Leave the
    machine on for a while and try this several times. If the machine crashes
    intermittently, especially if you hear unusual clicks, the hard drive is
    dying. If you can offload important data onto floppies do it while you can.

    If WinME worked previously it should work again, if the hard drive is
    usable, but because of what you have done you have to reinstall an operating
    system and your programs. IF WinME works on a computer there is no need to
    upgrade to XP unless you have a specific reason to do so (and there is no
    reason at all to use Win2000). If you have older peripherals and upgrade to
    XP you may not be able to find drivers for those peripherals.

    WinME has some arcane memory handling problems on some machines running some
    intense programs but otherwise is the best version of Win9x for most users
    no matter what its detractors say: it is faster than Win98 and allows
    rolling back to a previous state. The latter is what you should have done
    first but most people fail to realize that will solve many, many problems.

    If you do not understand how to do these things pay the money to have a
    repair shop look over the machine. It will be cheaper in the long run.

    bmoag, Aug 28, 2004
  6. beryl lee

    Ken Oaf Guest

    On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 16:17:16 GMT, "bmoag" <> wrote:

    > You do not say how much RAM/memory is on the machine or the size of the hard
    > drive. You need at least 128mbs of memory to run Win9x stably.

    Rubbish! I have successfully run 98 on a machine with only 32 meg of memory and
    95 on a machine with 16 meg.

    Ken Oaf, Aug 28, 2004
  7. beryl lee

    atec Guest

    DalienX wrote:

    > beryl lee wrote:
    >
    > > hi all,my friend was running windows me and it kept locking up
    > > whenever he tried to start an app.i tried installing windows 2000
    > > over the top of his existing system using prompts from the win 2000
    > > cd.the whole thing crashed halfway through installation,now it wont
    > > boot from a floppy and ive tried pressing each function key to get
    > > into bios but i cant get bios to present itself.it goes through the
    > > usual specs of pc like locating cd rom and showing the hard drive,ram
    > > and processor type but then it just says ntldr is missing press any
    > > key to restart any ideas guys,much obliged if you could help
    > > please reply by email if conveniant

    > del might get you into the bios.
    > as to the problem..... format it and put XP on :)

    that has to be the dumbest suggestion yet ...

    atec, Aug 28, 2004
  8. beryl lee

    clear Guest

    "Ken Oaf" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 16:17:16 GMT, "bmoag" <> wrote:
    >
    > > You do not say how much RAM/memory is on the machine or the size of the

    hard
    > > drive. You need at least 128mbs of memory to run Win9x stably.

    > Rubbish! I have successfully run 98 on a machine with only 32 meg of

    memory and
    > 95 on a machine with 16 meg.

    Mr. Magician?

    clear, Aug 29, 2004
  9. beryl lee

    Hunter1 Guest

    clear wrote:

    > "Ken Oaf" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 16:17:16 GMT, "bmoag" <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>You do not say how much RAM/memory is on the machine or the size of the

    > hard
    >
    >>>drive. You need at least 128mbs of memory to run Win9x stably.

    >>Rubbish! I have successfully run 98 on a machine with only 32 meg of

    > memory and
    >
    >>95 on a machine with 16 meg.

    > Mr. Magician?

    Shit due to laboral budgetary constraints we have work PC's
    running XP on 64 megs. Sure they run like dogs, but they get
    by. 128 megs makes them barely tolerable, but then you've
    got to have the money to get new PCs/memory. As we slowly
    replace the beasts though it's great seeing the relief in
    the faces of the people suddenly running on brand new PC's
    with half a gig of memory.

    95 on 16 megs aint so bad in comparison.

    Hunter1, Aug 29, 2004
  10. beryl lee

    Charles Guest

    What on earth are you on about? The OP said:

    "hi all,my friend was running windows me and it kept locking up whenever he
    tried to start an app.i tried installing windows 2000 over the top of his
    existing system using prompts from the win 2000 cd.the whole thing crashed
    halfway through installation,now it wont boot from a floppy and ive tried
    pressing each function key to get into bios but i cant get bios to present
    itself.it goes through the usual specs of pc like locating cd rom and
    showing the hard drive,ram and processor type but then it just says
    ntldr is missing press any key to restart
    any ideas guys,much obliged if you could help
    please reply by email if conveniant"

    His/her current problem is a stuffed/incomplete install of Win2000, the
    fact that the HDD has no valid way of booting (ntldr "missing"), means that
    all your twaddle about too many "programlets" loading at boot-time,
    is....um...twaddle (in this instance).

    > You do not say if this is a new problem in a machine that previously
    > was stable.

    Yes, s/he did! The original install of Win Me was locking up, re-read the
    OP's post before offereing pointless and misleading advice to womeone who
    is obviously not very technically savvy. Of course this fact is the *real*
    problem, someone who doesn't know what they are doing trying to do
    something they shouldn't do (i.e. install Win2000 over the top of Win Me)

    > You do not have to reformat the hard drive: you will lose any saved

    [snip useful but pointles in this case advice]
    > onto floppies do it while you can.

    > If you do not understand how to do these things pay the money to have
    > a repair shop look over the machine. It will be cheaper in the long
    > run.

    Finally a piece of sensible advice! :) The OP obviously does not
    understadn that installing an operating system is *not* always just a
    matter of stick it in and away you go (Hmmm...probably is a male after
    all!)

    Charles -- laments people with no idea doing damage they can't fix.
    --
    If some days are diamonds &
    Some days are stone --

    Charles, Aug 29, 2004
  11. beryl lee

    Charles Guest

    "beryl lee" <> wrote:

    > hi all,my friend was running windows me and it kept locking up
    > whenever he tried to start an app.i tried installing windows 2000 over
    > the top of his existing system using prompts from the win 2000 cd.

    Yes well that was your 1st mistake (one of many I suspect) actually your
    1st mistake was doing something you know nothing about (installing
    operating systems on faulty machines).

    If a system has a problem, installing another operating system over the
    top, rarely fixes things. Especially if it is not an upgrade version of the
    operating system you are using.

    > the
    > whole thing crashed halfway through installation,now it wont boot from
    > a floppy and ive tried pressing each function key to get into bios but
    > i cant get bios to present itself.it goes through the usual specs of
    > pc like locating cd rom and showing the hard drive,ram and processor
    > type but then it just says ntldr is missing press any key to restart
    > any ideas guys,much obliged if you could help

    Bios, is usually accessed via the delete key, although could be a number of
    different combinations. As for not booting to your floppy disk, 1st make
    sure it *is* a bootable floppy, try it in another computer and drive, if it
    boots fine there then it's probably a dodgy floppy drive in your friend's
    computer.

    > please reply by email if conveniant

    Most people will reply using the same medium you posted the problem...i.e.
    usenet (that's here)

    But honestly, it seems to me that you need to double-check that the PC's
    specs exceed MS's minimum specs for Win2000. I have always found that MS is
    very optimistic about what sort of hardware will run its OS's, ISTR that
    they said you could run Win98 on a 486 with 8MB of RAM, and Win95 on a 386
    with 4! After you have determined that this is possible, you should boot to
    the Win2000 disk and install it. Of course in this case, your friend needs
    to kiss his/her data and existing settings good-bye, they have gone to God
    by now.

    Charles -- finally maybe go see and pay a tech.

    Charles, Aug 29, 2004
  12. beryl lee

    Charles Guest

    "clear" <> wrote:
    > "Ken Oaf" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 16:17:16 GMT, "bmoag" <> wrote:
    >>
    >> > You do not say how much RAM/memory is on the machine or the size of
    >> > the

    > hard
    >> > drive. You need at least 128mbs of memory to run Win9x stably.

    >> Rubbish! I have successfully run 98 on a machine with only 32 meg of

    > memory and
    >> 95 on a machine with 16 meg.

    > Mr. Magician?

    LOL, Hardly! You are showing your lack of age here I think :). When Win95
    1st came out, 4MB of RAM was the entry-level amnt, and on 486 machines (do
    you remember 486SX cpu's?). In its early days, I regularly saw machines
    with Win98 running on 8MB RAM, true, not very well...but it was certainly
    not unusual at all.

    It was a real pain to work onthese machines for customers as it took so
    long to do anything, sometimes you didnt even know if the machine had hung
    or was just slowly working through whatever arcane algorithms Windows
    dictated.

    Charles

    Charles, Aug 29, 2004
  13. beryl lee

    Blade Guest

    "Ken Oaf" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 16:17:16 GMT, "bmoag" <> wrote:
    >
    > > You do not say how much RAM/memory is on the machine or the size of the

    hard
    > > drive. You need at least 128mbs of memory to run Win9x stably.

    > Rubbish! I have successfully run 98 on a machine with only 32 meg of

    memory and
    > 95 on a machine with 16 meg.

    I have a 486-DX4-100, with a 500meg hard drive, 4x CD-Rom and only 8 megs of
    ram (yes, eight), and it ran Windows 95B quite well back in 1996.

    I'm now using it as a network print server, with Windows NT4 with the exact
    same innards and it works a charm.

    Cheers

    Blade

    ________________________
    _ « B L Ä Ð É » _ aussie
    Can you help? - http://www.bladesplace.id.au/canyouhelp.html
    Contact Email Address (challenge/response system) -
    Homepage - http://www.bladesplace.id.au

    Blade, Aug 29, 2004
  14. beryl lee

    Blade Guest

    "Hunter1" <> wrote in message
    > Shit due to laboral budgetary constraints we have work PC's
    > running XP on 64 megs. Sure they run like dogs, but they get
    > by. 128 megs makes them barely tolerable, but then you've
    > got to have the money to get new PCs/memory. As we slowly
    > replace the beasts though it's great seeing the relief in
    > the faces of the people suddenly running on brand new PC's
    > with half a gig of memory.

    LOL!

    I've got Windows XP SP1 running on my laptop that has 256megs of Ram. It
    works quite well. The CPU is an Athalon 1800 though.

    My tower PC is also running Windows XP SP1, it only has a 933mhz processor
    and only 128megs of Ram, but it also works very well. Even running Remote
    Desktop it's still very good.

    Cheers

    Blade

    ________________________

    Blade, Aug 29, 2004
  15. beryl lee

    Hunter1 Guest

    Blade wrote:

    > "Hunter1" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Shit due to laboral budgetary constraints we have work PC's
    >>running XP on 64 megs. Sure they run like dogs, but they get
    >>by. 128 megs makes them barely tolerable, but then you've
    >>got to have the money to get new PCs/memory. As we slowly
    >>replace the beasts though it's great seeing the relief in
    >>the faces of the people suddenly running on brand new PC's
    >>with half a gig of memory.

    > LOL!
    >
    > I've got Windows XP SP1 running on my laptop that has 256megs of Ram. It
    > works quite well. The CPU is an Athalon 1800 though.
    >
    > My tower PC is also running Windows XP SP1, it only has a 933mhz processor
    > and only 128megs of Ram, but it also works very well. Even running Remote
    > Desktop it's still very good.

    All comes down to how much you're running though, our "power
    users" can't get by on the 128 meg machines (of course a 450
    meg - 733 meg clock speed doesn't help), yet we have some
    that only ever check email and are quite happy with the 64
    meg machines apart from the bootup time!

    It's the poor bastards with 64 megs and needing 5 or 6 apps
    open simultaneously that are truly suffering! :)

    Hunter1, Aug 29, 2004
  16. beryl lee

    DalienX Guest

    atec wrote:

    > that has to be the dumbest suggestion yet ...

    And your comment is the most irrelivent in the whole thread.

    Oh and btw, XP is the latest and most stable OS Bill (wanker) Gates has
    put out, so it doesnt seem like a dumb suggestion to me.

    --
    DalienX

    DalienX, Aug 29, 2004
  17. beryl lee

    atec Guest

    DalienX wrote:

    > atec wrote:
    >

    > > that has to be the dumbest suggestion yet ...

    > And your comment is the most irrelivent in the whole thread.
    >
    > Oh and btw, XP is the latest and most stable OS Bill (wanker) Gates has
    > put out, so it doesnt seem like a dumb suggestion to me.

    its mechanically demanding you cock spank , do the degree whereby its
    very unlikely to run on that machine , however 98se will comfortably so
    do remember this is NOT an opportunity for a sale ... and of course we
    could mention nix .

    atec, Aug 29, 2004
  18. beryl lee

    DalienX Guest

    atec wrote:

    > its mechanically demanding you cock spank , do the degree whereby its
    > very unlikely to run on that machine , however 98se will comfortably
    > so do remember this is NOT an opportunity for a sale ... and of
    > course we could mention nix .
    > >
    > > --
    > > DalienX

    Windows 98se is a nearly 6 year old OS, and a rather crap one at that.
    If he cant run XP then he needs to upgrade, although imo if it can run
    that gunged up excuse for an os (windows ME) it can run XP.

    No need for abuse btw atec, if you cant handle making an intelligent
    post without resorting to 4 letter words i suggest you go back to
    playing with your playstation.

    --
    DalienX

    DalienX, Aug 29, 2004
  19. beryl lee

    atec Guest

    simple fact is you don't have the correct answer do you ?. no don't
    bother you not clued up at all...

    atec, Aug 29, 2004
  20. beryl lee

    Taranis Guest

    bmoag wrote:

    > You do not say how much RAM/memory is on the machine or the size of the
    > hard drive. You need at least 128mbs of memory to run Win9x stably.

    Complete crap in fact win 95/98 do not use memory above 64MB effectively and
    having more will actually slow the machine down.

    Taranis, Aug 29, 2004