    particular program. Any ideas?
    thanks a lot.
    -XP newbie
    dreaded, Jul 20, 2004

  2. dreaded

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "dreaded" <> wrote in
    news:cdi2le$lkj$:

    > Hi out there, i have a pc running winXP pro. the thing freezes up
    > randomly. when it crashes everything freezes. ctr-alt-del doesn't
    > work. it must be restarted manually. this doesn't seem to have
    > anything to do with any particular program. Any ideas?
    > thanks a lot.
    > -XP newbie

    It seems to me you have a bad install. XP pro usually never freezes and
    never crashes unless something very bad is happening on the machine. You
    should wipe the machine out *format* the HD doing a clean install Of
    course, you should be disconnected from the Internet and have a firewall
    running before you connect to prevent an attack from a worm that can
    crash the O/S.

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Jul 20, 2004

  3. dreaded

    Wizard Guest

    Check your cpu cooler. This sounds like overheat. In any case it's a
    hardware problem.

    Wizard, Jul 20, 2004
  4. dreaded

    Thor Guest

    "dreaded" <> wrote in message
    > Hi out there, i have a pc running winXP pro. the thing freezes up

    randomly.
    > when it crashes everything freezes. ctr-alt-del doesn't work. it must be
    > restarted manually. this doesn't seem to have anything to do with any
    > particular program. Any ideas?
    > thanks a lot.
    > -XP newbie

    what are your CPU temps like at the time of a crash?
    Thor, Jul 20, 2004
  5. dreaded

    Michael-NC Guest

    Likely culprit is heat, bad power supply or a corrupted video driver. Check
    your logs as well. Right click on my computer and select manage, then event
    viewer.

    Michael-NC, Jul 20, 2004
  6. dreaded

    dreaded Guest

    "Thor" <> wrote in message

    > "dreaded" <> wrote in message
    > > Hi out there, i have a pc running winXP pro. the thing freezes up

    > randomly.
    > > when it crashes everything freezes. ctr-alt-del doesn't work. it must be
    > > restarted manually. this doesn't seem to have anything to do with any
    > > particular program. Any ideas?
    > > thanks a lot.
    > > -XP newbie
    > >

    > what are your CPU temps like at the time of a crash?

    pretty hot like 102 F
    dreaded, Jul 25, 2004
  7. dreaded

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "dreaded" <> wrote in news:cdupk9$njk$1
    @gnus01.u.washington.edu:

    > pretty hot like 102 F

    102F is not all that hot. A heat related problem is possible, but I think
    unlikely.

    --
    website: http://www.demonlag.com
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    DeMoN LaG, Jul 25, 2004
  8. dreaded

    Thor Guest

    "DeMoN LaG" <> wrote in message
    > "dreaded" <> wrote in news:cdupk9$njk$1
    > @gnus01.u.washington.edu:
    >
    > > pretty hot like 102 F

    > 102F is not all that hot. A heat related problem is possible, but I think
    > unlikely.

    That's 38C. Cool as a cucumber for a CPU, if that's what his CPU is reading,
    of course.
    Thor, Jul 25, 2004
  9. dreaded

    dreaded Guest

    "Thor" <> wrote in message

    > "DeMoN LaG" <> wrote in message
    > > "dreaded" <> wrote in news:cdupk9$njk$1
    > > @gnus01.u.washington.edu:
    > >
    > > > pretty hot like 102 F

    > > 102F is not all that hot. A heat related problem is possible, but I

    think
    > > unlikely.

    > That's 38C. Cool as a cucumber for a CPU, if that's what his CPU is

    reading,
    > of course.

    that was from the bios reading...
    dreaded, Jul 25, 2004