    note).

    I have slowed down to burn at 8x and it is a bit improved, but previously
    16x worked pretty well.
    anthonyberet, May 11, 2004

  2. anthonyberet

    slumpy Guest

    ....and seconds before the explosion, anthonyberet emerged from the bunker
    carrying the last chicken tikka masala humanity would ever see, crying:

    > I recently got some Verbatim DateLitePlus 700MB CDR's and am finding
    > that when I verify my burned files using duplic8 and Noclone (which
    > are duplicate-finders), that quite a few are not being detected as
    > identical.
    >
    > I never really had this problem before, so wondered if anyone else had
    > noticed varying quality with CDR's? -either from brand-to-brand or
    > with the same brand?

    After flirting with overpriced crap for 2 years I started using
    DataSafe-Media and the only coasters I've made have been when I've ejected
    the disc by mistake or just screwed up myself. That's 300-400 cd's in the
    past year, and maybe 4 screwed :)

    > (I never bought this brand before actually, so others might want to
    > take note).

    Verbatim are highly rated, amongst those geeky cd-freaks anyway ;-)
    --
    slumpy
    no more
    slumpy, May 11, 2004

  3. anthonyberet

    -= Hawk =- Guest

    On Tue, 11 May 2004 20:31:50 +0100, "slumpy" <> scribbled:

    >...and seconds before the explosion, anthonyberet emerged from the bunker
    >carrying the last chicken tikka masala humanity would ever see, crying:
    >
    >> I recently got some Verbatim DateLitePlus 700MB CDR's and am finding
    >> that when I verify my burned files using duplic8 and Noclone (which
    >> are duplicate-finders), that quite a few are not being detected as
    >> identical.
    >>
    >> I never really had this problem before, so wondered if anyone else had
    >> noticed varying quality with CDR's? -either from brand-to-brand or
    >> with the same brand?

    >After flirting with overpriced crap for 2 years I started using
    >DataSafe-Media and the only coasters I've made have been when I've ejected
    >the disc by mistake or just screwed up myself. That's 300-400 cd's in the
    >past year, and maybe 4 screwed :)
    >
    >> (I never bought this brand before actually, so others might want to
    >> take note).

    >Verbatim are highly rated, amongst those geeky cd-freaks anyway ;-)

    Out of the 200 or so EZ0 Blue Verbatim CDRs I've gone through I
    think I've made five coasters and at least two were due to power
    failures during the burn.

    Riddles II, v3
    - T. Pratchett
    -= Hawk =-, May 11, 2004
  4. anthonyberet

    slumpy Guest

    ....and seconds before the explosion, -= Hawk =- emerged from the bunker
    carrying the last chicken tikka masala humanity would ever see, crying:

    > On Tue, 11 May 2004 20:31:50 +0100, "slumpy" <>
    > scribbled:
    >
    >> ...and seconds before the explosion, anthonyberet emerged from the
    >> bunker carrying the last chicken tikka masala humanity would ever
    >> see, crying:
    >>
    >>> I recently got some Verbatim DateLitePlus 700MB CDR's and am finding
    >>> that when I verify my burned files using duplic8 and Noclone (which
    >>> are duplicate-finders), that quite a few are not being detected as
    >>> identical.
    >>>
    >>> I never really had this problem before, so wondered if anyone else
    >>> had noticed varying quality with CDR's? -either from brand-to-brand
    >>> or with the same brand?

    >> After flirting with overpriced crap for 2 years I started using
    >> DataSafe-Media and the only coasters I've made have been when I've
    >> ejected the disc by mistake or just screwed up myself. That's
    >> 300-400 cd's in the past year, and maybe 4 screwed :)
    >>
    >>> (I never bought this brand before actually, so others might want to
    >>> take note).

    >> Verbatim are highly rated, amongst those geeky cd-freaks anyway ;-)

    > Out of the 200 or so EZ0 Blue Verbatim CDRs I've gone through I
    > think I've made five coasters and at least two were due to power
    > failures during the burn.

    Big Spender ;-)
    --
    slumpy
    no more
    slumpy, May 11, 2004
  5. anthonyberet

    anthonyberet Guest

    -= Hawk =- wrote:
    > On Tue, 11 May 2004 20:31:50 +0100, "slumpy" <>
    > scribbled:
    >
    >> ...and seconds before the explosion, anthonyberet emerged from the
    >> bunker carrying the last chicken tikka masala humanity would ever
    >> see, crying:
    >>
    >>> I recently got some Verbatim DateLitePlus 700MB CDR's and am finding
    >>> that when I verify my burned files using duplic8 and Noclone (which
    >>> are duplicate-finders), that quite a few are not being detected as
    >>> identical.
    >>>
    >>> I never really had this problem before, so wondered if anyone else
    >>> had noticed varying quality with CDR's? -either from brand-to-brand
    >>> or with the same brand?

    >> After flirting with overpriced crap for 2 years I started using
    >> DataSafe-Media and the only coasters I've made have been when I've
    >> ejected the disc by mistake or just screwed up myself. That's
    >> 300-400 cd's in the past year, and maybe 4 screwed :)
    >>
    >>> (I never bought this brand before actually, so others might want to
    >>> take note).

    >> Verbatim are highly rated, amongst those geeky cd-freaks anyway ;-)

    > Out of the 200 or so EZ0 Blue Verbatim CDRs I've gone through I
    > think I've made five coasters and at least two were due to power
    > failures during the burn.

    yeah these aren't coasters though, its just that some of the files have
    minor changes when burned - they even play ok (mp3's).
    I still would prefer identical copies though, and am puzzled as to what is
    happening.
    anthonyberet, May 11, 2004
  6. anthonyberet

    PuppyKatt Guest

    We use the Fujifilm. Box of 50 is under $30.00 Cdn and 0 coasters to
    date.

    --
    Thou shalt not admit adultry.

    :
    PuppyKatt, May 11, 2004
  7. anthonyberet

    Don M. Guest

    > I recently got some Verbatim DateLitePlus 700MB CDR's and am finding that
    > when I verify my burned files using duplic8 and Noclone (which are
    > duplicate-finders), that quite a few are not being detected as identical.
    >
    > I never really had this problem before, so wondered if anyone else had
    > noticed varying quality with CDR's? -either from brand-to-brand or with

    the
    > same brand?
    >
    > (I never bought this brand before actually, so others might want to take
    > note).
    >
    > I have slowed down to burn at 8x and it is a bit improved, but previously
    > 16x worked pretty well.

    ========

    Other than trusting those 2 programs, have you run any kind of CRC checks
    (such as WinSFV) on the original file and the copy on CD?
    Changes (besides date/timestamps and/or file attributes) shouldn't be
    acceptable. That could be disastrous for backing up programs and their data
    files.

    Don
    Don M., May 12, 2004
  8. anthonyberet wrote:

    > I recently got some Verbatim DateLitePlus 700MB CDR's and am finding that
    > when I verify my burned files using duplic8 and Noclone (which are
    > duplicate-finders), that quite a few are not being detected as identical.
    >
    > I never really had this problem before, so wondered if anyone else had
    > noticed varying quality with CDR's? -either from brand-to-brand or with the
    > same brand?
    >
    > (I never bought this brand before actually, so others might want to take
    > note).
    >
    > I have slowed down to burn at 8x and it is a bit improved, but previously
    > 16x worked pretty well.

    Each burner has a few brands of media that work perfectly with it. I;ve
    used Verbatim Datalife in a variaty of burners and allways have had good
    results. Shelf life of burned disks is also a lot better than most other
    brands. In my old yamaha 4416s the only thing I couldn't get to burn
    properly was phillips.

    I now have a liteon and that will eat just about anything.

    Have a look at Don's advice. Also, check the webstie of your cd burner
    for bios updates.

    --
    Groeten/Regards
    Jeroen Wijnands
    Jeroen Wijnands, May 12, 2004
  9. anthonyberet

    Fanny Fisher Guest

    I've got to say, a liteon is about the best burner money can buy. When I
    changed my old Ricoh burner for a liteon, my coasters stopped immediately.

    West Ham to win the Final..

    "Jeroen Wijnands" <4all.nl> wrote in
    message news:40a1d098$0$36169$4all.nl...

    Fanny Fisher, May 12, 2004
  10. anthonyberet

    Guest

    On Tue, 11 May 2004 20:14:59 +0100, "anthonyberet"
    <> wrote:

    >I recently got some Verbatim DateLitePlus 700MB CDR's and am finding that
    >when I verify my burned files using duplic8 and Noclone (which are
    >duplicate-finders), that quite a few are not being detected as identical.
    >
    >I never really had this problem before, so wondered if anyone else had
    >noticed varying quality with CDR's? -either from brand-to-brand or with the
    >same brand?
    >
    >(I never bought this brand before actually, so others might want to take
    >note).
    >
    >I have slowed down to burn at 8x and it is a bit improved, but previously
    >16x worked pretty well.

    When was the last time you opened up your PC case to
    clean the accumulated dust found inside? Media drives
    will accumulate dust over time and have contributed to
    "problems".... especially if the laser lens gets dirty.

    Also, I read an article regarding CD-R ROT, very similar to
    iron rusting when exposed to oxygen (air). meaning that
    chemicals and manufaturing processes used by the cheaper
    brands are NOT the same as the premium ones, otherwise,
    the manufacturer would be obliged to pay a License fee,
    making the product more expensive.... meaning that the
    original ".. CD-Rs will last 100 years..." spouted by
    the likes of Sony, Phillips, Mitsui...etc..etc... just
    isn't true...

    Companies, government agencies and anyone that relied on storing
    sensitive data on optical discs are now forced to review their
    policies of storing data using CD-Rs....

    Please read
    http://www.cybergrass.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=38

    TTBoy
    , May 13, 2004
  11. anthonyberet

    -=ô;ö-=- Guest

    > -= Hawk =- wrote:
    > > On Tue, 11 May 2004 20:31:50 +0100, "slumpy" <>
    > > scribbled:
    > >
    > >> ...and seconds before the explosion, anthonyberet emerged from the
    > >> bunker carrying the last chicken tikka masala humanity would ever
    > >> see, crying:

    > >> After flirting with overpriced crap for 2 years I started using
    > >> DataSafe-Media and the only coasters I've made have been when I've
    > >> ejected the disc by mistake or just screwed up myself. That's
    > >> 300-400 cd's in the past year, and maybe 4 screwed :)

    > >> Verbatim are highly rated, amongst those geeky cd-freaks anyway ;-)

    > > Out of the 200 or so EZ0 Blue Verbatim CDRs I've gone through I
    > > think I've made five coasters and at least two were due to power
    > > failures during the burn.

    > yeah these aren't coasters though, its just that some of the files have
    > minor changes when burned - they even play ok (mp3's).
    > I still would prefer identical copies though, and am puzzled as to what is
    > happening.

    May not be the Brand of CD's..but errors that the burning program is
    removing prior to data transfer to CD that were hidden within the original
    file..

    Oh, BTW anyone know of a good Brand of 700MB CDR's that will allow for upto
    710-15mb of burn?? I had some and forgot the brand(Memorex and most name
    brands only allow for a max of 703-5mb)...
    -=ô;ö-=-, May 13, 2004
  12. anthonyberet

    Dave D Guest

    "Fanny Fisher" <> wrote in message

    > West Ham to win the Final..

    You'll have to beat us in the final, and I don't fancy your chances.

    Dave
    Dave D, May 13, 2004
  13. anthonyberet

    Fanny Fisher Guest

    Palace or the Black Cats?
    Either way Dave, with Rufus back, I'm gonna be a Happy Hammer!!!
    See you in Cardiff?

    Fanny Fisher, May 13, 2004
  14. anthonyberet

    > Palace or the Black Cats?

    Black Cats!

    > Either way Dave, with Rufus back, I'm gonna be a Happy Hammer!!!
    > See you in Cardiff?

    If we don't make it, best of luck to the Hammers! Our best player Julio Arca
    is recovering from an op and he's out for the playoffs, which will make a
    big difference :-(

    Dave
    Dave D, May 14, 2004
  15. anthonyberet

    Guest

    wrote in message news:<>...
    > On Tue, 11 May 2004 20:14:59 +0100, "anthonyberet"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >I recently got some Verbatim DateLitePlus 700MB CDR's and am finding that
    > >when I verify my burned files using duplic8 and Noclone (which are
    > >duplicate-finders), that quite a few are not being detected as identical.
    > >
    > >I never really had this problem before, so wondered if anyone else had
    > >noticed varying quality with CDR's? -either from brand-to-brand or with the
    > >same brand?
    > >
    > >(I never bought this brand before actually, so others might want to take
    > >note).
    > >
    > >I have slowed down to burn at 8x and it is a bit improved, but previously
    > >16x worked pretty well.
    > >

    > When was the last time you opened up your PC case to
    > clean the accumulated dust found inside? Media drives
    > will accumulate dust over time and have contributed to
    > "problems".... especially if the laser lens gets dirty.

    About 3 weeks ago, why?

    > Also, I read an article regarding CD-R ROT, very similar to
    > iron rusting when exposed to oxygen (air). meaning that
    > chemicals and manufaturing processes used by the cheaper
    > brands are NOT the same as the premium ones, otherwise,
    > the manufacturer would be obliged to pay a License fee,
    > making the product more expensive.... meaning that the
    > original ".. CD-Rs will last 100 years..." spouted by
    > the likes of Sony, Phillips, Mitsui...etc..etc... just
    > isn't true...

    There's that. And there's UV. Both do not help. Personally I check
    important data cd's eveyr two year and when in doubt I toast a fresh
    copy.

    > Companies, government agencies and anyone that relied on storing
    > sensitive data on optical discs are now forced to review their
    > policies of storing data using CD-Rs....

    Same thing as with magnetic tape. Everyone that stores large amounts
    of data should have a decent retention policy.
    , May 14, 2004
  16. anthonyberet

    > Palace or the Black Cats?
    > Either way Dave, with Rufus back, I'm gonna be a Happy Hammer!!!
    > See you in Cardiff?

    Good luck in the final, I hope you get a better referee than we got against
    Palace.

    You'll have at least this Sunderland fan, and probably thousands more,
    shouting for you in the final. :)

    Dave
    Dave D, May 19, 2004
  17. anthonyberet

    Fanny Fisher Guest

    What was Whitely thinking? How lucky were Palace? That last minute goal was
    a foul.
    My ticket should be through soon. Can't wait for the 29th.
    cheers Dave.

    Fanny Fisher, May 19, 2004