    for a D7000, and don't all necessarily need to be AF, just fit to that body.

    Thanks

    Steve
    Steve B, Jan 20, 2013

  2. Steve B

    RichA Guest

    On Jan 20, 6:46 pm, "Steve B" <> wrote:
    > http://stgeorge.craigslist.org/pho/3527363241.html
    >
    > Comments on Tokina, and other "inexpensive but good" glass?  Suggestions and
    > caveats appreciated.  18-105 VR lens with D7000 camera now.  Lenses would be
    > for a D7000, and don't all necessarily need to be AF, just fit to that body.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Steve

    Most Nikon lenses today are good, what you sacrifice for cost is
    speed. But an 18-55mm kit lens or the 18-105 stopped down a stop is
    going to be very close to the FX lenses.
    RichA, Jan 21, 2013

  3. In article <kdhvk9$o28$>,
    "Steve B" <> wrote:

    > http://stgeorge.craigslist.org/pho/3527363241.html
    >
    > Comments on Tokina, and other "inexpensive but good" glass? Suggestions and
    > caveats appreciated. 18-105 VR lens with D7000 camera now. Lenses would be
    > for a D7000, and don't all necessarily need to be AF, just fit to that body.

    Steve-

    I would be wary of that particular lens in the ad. It says, "Fits
    Nikon, Pentax cameras and many others." That is unlikely to be true
    unless the seller actually has a selection of lenses in different mounts.

    I have a Tokina 100 to 300, f/5-6.3 lens with a Pentax mount. It is a
    decent lens. My only problem has been that because of the small
    aperture at the 300 mm end, the camera has difficulty focusing in low
    light. I would expect the Craigslist lens to have the same problem.

    My Tokina lens was designed for a film camera, so it would work with a
    full-frame DSLR (if Pentax ever makes one!). Your Craigslist lens does
    not mention whether or not it covers a full frame, or if it is only
    capable of working with a body that has a small sensor.

    Fred
    Fred McKenzie, Jan 21, 2013
  4. Steve B

    me Guest

    On Sun, 20 Jan 2013 16:46:22 -0700, "Steve B" <>
    wrote:

    >http://stgeorge.craigslist.org/pho/3527363241.html
    >
    >Comments on Tokina, and other "inexpensive but good" glass? Suggestions and
    >caveats appreciated. 18-105 VR lens with D7000 camera now. Lenses would be
    >for a D7000, and don't all necessarily need to be AF, just fit to that body.

    Don't get the just has to fit the body comment. That said what do you
    wish to use it for and how, especially given your "don't... need AF"
    comment.
    me, Jan 21, 2013
  5. Steve B

    nick c Guest

    On 1/21/2013 4:11 PM, Scott Schuckert wrote:
    > In article <>, me
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Don't get the just has to fit the body comment. That said what do you
    >> wish to use it for and how, especially given your "don't... need AF"
    >> comment.

    > Seem pretty clear - he doesn't care if it has to be focused manually.
    > Whether he know it may not meter, or even function otherwise is up for
    > conjecture.
    >
    > OP: Short answer - forget this lens and move on.

    Good advice. I second the thought.
    nick c, Jan 22, 2013
  6. Steve B

    Whisky-dave Guest

    On Tuesday, January 22, 2013 12:20:47 AM UTC, nick c wrote:
    > On 1/21/2013 4:11 PM, Scott Schuckert wrote:
    >
    > > In article <>, me

    > > <> wrote:

    > >> Don't get the just has to fit the body comment. That said what do you

    > >> wish to use it for and how, especially given your "don't... need AF"

    > >> comment.

    > > Seem pretty clear - he doesn't care if it has to be focused manually.

    > > Whether he know it may not meter, or even function otherwise is up for

    > > conjecture.

    > > OP: Short answer - forget this lens and move on.

    > Good advice. I second the thought.

    Yep, also a bad picture of the lens which wouldn;t inspire me with confidence in the seller, for photographic goods anyway.
    Whisky-dave, Jan 22, 2013
  7. Steve B

    Steve B Guest

    "me" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 20 Jan 2013 16:46:22 -0700, "Steve B" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>http://stgeorge.craigslist.org/pho/3527363241.html
    >>
    >>Comments on Tokina, and other "inexpensive but good" glass? Suggestions
    >>and
    >>caveats appreciated. 18-105 VR lens with D7000 camera now. Lenses would
    >>be
    >>for a D7000, and don't all necessarily need to be AF, just fit to that
    >>body.

    > Don't get the just has to fit the body comment. That said what do you
    > wish to use it for and how, especially given your "don't... need AF"
    > comment.

    That there have been some comments here about lenses, and some suggestions
    of inexpensive glass that the photog used for just one range of photography.
    Now, I like to carry a lens that will cover a wide range of distances and
    situations. BUT, I do not mind having some cheap lens that doesn't have all
    the bells and whistles and motors and falderal when it is a lens that is set
    up to shoot just the same thing, like hummingbirds. I can manual focus, or
    make adjustments to get things just right, then leave it there, not needing
    AF. That would be tripod shooting. That would be totally different from a
    setup that I would carry around, and do a lot of basically P&S photography.
    Plus, if it is just a lens that I would use only occasionally, a decent
    performing inexpensive lens would work just fine, and cost a lot less.

    Hope I answered your question.

    Thanks for the help.

    Steve
    Steve B, Jan 22, 2013
  8. Steve B

    Steve B Guest

    "Scott Schuckert" <> wrote

    > Seem pretty clear - he doesn't care if it has to be focused manually.
    > Whether he know it may not meter, or even function otherwise is up for
    > conjecture.
    >
    > OP: Short answer - forget this lens and move on.

    Answer to first sentence: correct. Answer to last sentence: I was not
    really interested in this specific lens, just looking for some
    recommendations of brands of inexpensive lenses that would fill a niche of
    specialized use, as hummingbirds where the focal point and light would
    remain constant.

    Hope this helps.

    Steve
    Steve B, Jan 22, 2013
  9. Steve B

    Steve B Guest

    "Whisky-dave" <> wrote

    > Yep, also a bad picture of the lens which wouldn;t inspire me with
    > confidence in the seller, for photographic goods anyway.

    I was just looking for a list of cheap lenses that perform well. And yeah,
    that photo was not very good. I am amazed at what is posted on sales sites
    in the way of photography. But, you have to look at the item, and the
    price, and sometimes the photo is not all that important. But I do have
    1200 transactions on ebay, and I understand and have to say that a good
    picture is one of the top 3 things you want when selling something online.

    Steve
    Steve B, Jan 22, 2013
  10. Steve B

    Peter Guest

    On 1/22/2013 12:40 PM, Steve B wrote:
    > "Scott Schuckert" <> wrote
    >

    >> Seem pretty clear - he doesn't care if it has to be focused manually.
    >> Whether he know it may not meter, or even function otherwise is up for
    >> conjecture.
    >>
    >> OP: Short answer - forget this lens and move on.

    > Answer to first sentence: correct. Answer to last sentence: I was not
    > really interested in this specific lens, just looking for some
    > recommendations of brands of inexpensive lenses that would fill a niche of
    > specialized use, as hummingbirds where the focal point and light would
    > remain constant.

    If ytou are prefocusing on a particular spot and waiting for the bird,
    (a common hummer technique,) get a used, good quality, olfd 3--400. You
    might also think of a6=500 reflex, which would work well for that kind
    of shooting.

    HTH
    -
    PeterN
    Peter, Jan 22, 2013
  11. Steve B

    Steve B Guest

    "Peter" <> wrote in message
    > On 1/22/2013 12:40 PM, Steve B wrote:
    >> "Scott Schuckert" <> wrote
    >>

    >>> Seem pretty clear - he doesn't care if it has to be focused manually.
    >>> Whether he know it may not meter, or even function otherwise is up for
    >>> conjecture.
    >>>
    >>> OP: Short answer - forget this lens and move on.

    >> Answer to first sentence: correct. Answer to last sentence: I was not
    >> really interested in this specific lens, just looking for some
    >> recommendations of brands of inexpensive lenses that would fill a niche
    >> of
    >> specialized use, as hummingbirds where the focal point and light would
    >> remain constant.
    >>

    > If ytou are prefocusing on a particular spot and waiting for the bird, (a
    > common hummer technique,) get a used, good quality, olfd 3--400. You might
    > also think of a6=500 reflex, which would work well for that kind of
    > shooting.
    >
    > HTH
    > -
    > PeterN

    TY. Just the sort of advice I was looking for. I do set up the feeder with
    only one glass tube so that I can control where the bird will feed. I do
    use multiple outlet feeders, and they always will go to the other side of
    the feeder if I am there, and sometimes if I have the camera on tripod, just
    not as often.

    Steve
    Steve B, Jan 23, 2013