cracking a windows XP password

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by don, Nov 17, 2010.

  1. don

    don Guest

    What is the best way to recover from a forgotten password on a Win XP
    system.
    I was thinking maybe booting into Windows Recovery mode from my WIN CD....
    but not sure what next???
     
    don, Nov 17, 2010
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. don multi-posted:

    > What is the best way to recover from a forgotten password on a Win XP
    > system.


    a) it's your girlfriend's first name
    b) it's your dog's name
    c) your birthday
    d) "password"

    Depending on your relationship, a and b may be reversed...

    > I was thinking maybe booting into Windows Recovery mode from my WIN
    > CD.... but not sure what next???


    Only if you choose Format.

    Did you post to any Windows newsgroups?

    --
    -bts
    -Four wheels carry the body; two wheels move the soul
     
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Nov 17, 2010
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. don

    Dan C Guest

    On Wed, 17 Nov 2010 18:03:35 -0500, don wrote:

    > What is the best way to recover from a forgotten password on a Win XP
    > system.
    > I was thinking maybe booting into Windows Recovery mode from my WIN
    > CD.... but not sure what next???


    Next is format your hard drive, and reinstall Winduhs.


    --
    "Ubuntu" -- an African word, meaning "Slackware is too hard for me".
    "Bother!" said Pooh, as he found his pit crew eating ice cream.
    Usenet Improvement Project: http://twovoyagers.com/improve-usenet.org/
    Thanks, Obama: http://brandybuck.site40.net/pics/politica/thanks.jpg
     
    Dan C, Nov 18, 2010
    #3
  4. don

    VanguardLH Guest

    don wrote:

    > What is the best way to recover from a forgotten password on a Win XP
    > system.
    > I was thinking maybe booting into Windows Recovery mode from my WIN CD....
    > but not sure what next???


    Recovery Console mode will ask you for the password for the
    Administrator account. If you left it blank (the default) then you
    don't need to use Recovery Console mode. Just login as "Administrator"
    and leave the password blank.
     
    VanguardLH, Nov 18, 2010
    #4
  5. don

    nut Guest

    On 17/11/2010 23:03, don wrote:
    > What is the best way to recover from a forgotten password on a Win XP
    > system.
    > I was thinking maybe booting into Windows Recovery mode from my WIN CD....
    > but not sure what next???


    Try CTRL ALT DEL twice on the welcome screen, it should take you to
    admin login... if the password is blank you can take ownership of the
    lost account from there.
     
    nut, Nov 18, 2010
    #5
  6. don <> via
    news:ic1n03$50c$:

    > What is the best way to recover from a forgotten password
    > on a Win XP system.
    > I was thinking maybe booting into Windows Recovery mode
    > from my WIN CD.... but not sure what next???


    http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/tp/passrecovery.htm

    HTH.

    --

    I AM Bucky Breeder, (*(^; and I can not
    even hear the retards, perverts and stalkers over
    the thunderous sounds, blinding light, and magical music
    emanating from the clouds of how totally awesome I am!

    You should not view the world in terms
    of things which you do - or do not - "like";
    rather, you should view the world in terms
    of how things "actually are", recognizing
    and finding acceptance of them as such.

    This would immeasurably bring *much* more
    stability, peace and tranquility into your life.

    I could help you with that... but...
    I really just don't like you that much.

    Repent! The end is near! Or, smoke 'em if you got 'em...
    an-nnnn-duh... *good* "luck" - if there's an apocalypse.

    (Me? I don't go anywhere without a shotgun and package of beef jerky!)

    (And some breath-freshening gum... just in case I run into any pretty
    white ladies who wanna have some fun before I throw them out as bait
    to the flesh-eating zombies so I can escape quietly yet very quickly.)

    (And some condoms... because I wouldn't want to be the first guy who
    survives the apocolypse on Murray Povich staring at DNA child support.)
     
    Bucky Breeder, Nov 18, 2010
    #6
  7. don

    Peter Foldes Guest

    "don" <> wrote in message news:ic1n03$50c$...
    > What is the best way to recover from a forgotten password on a Win XP
    > system.


    > I was thinking maybe booting into Windows Recovery mode from my WIN CD....
    > but not sure what next???


    Ask the person that set the Password


    --
    Peter
    Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others
    Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged.
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect
     
    Peter Foldes, Nov 18, 2010
    #7
  8. don

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Thu, 18 Nov 2010 00:10:58 +0000, Dan C wrote:

    > Next is format your hard drive


    As sure as the sun will rise in the east dan will post his pedantic
    drivel.



    --
    Live Fast, Die Young and Leave a Pretty Corpse
     
    Meat Plow, Nov 18, 2010
    #8
  9. On Thu, 18 Nov 2010 12:56:16 -0500, "Peter Foldes" <>
    wrote:

    >"don" <> wrote in message news:ic1n03$50c$...
    >> What is the best way to recover from a forgotten password on a Win XP
    >> system.

    >
    >> I was thinking maybe booting into Windows Recovery mode from my WIN CD....
    >> but not sure what next???

    >
    >Ask the person that set the Password


    He told you ...."best way to recover from a FORGOTTEN password" :)
     
    Raymond Schmit, Nov 18, 2010
    #9
  10. don

    don Guest

    >
    > He told you ...."best way to recover from a FORGOTTEN password" :)


    Thank-you, I don't know why people are so quick to jump on a post and
    make stupid comments??????
     
    don, Nov 18, 2010
    #10
  11. don

    Mike Easter Guest

    don wrote:
    > What is the best way to recover from a forgotten password on a Win XP
    > system.


    OphCrack

    Download ophcrack and burn the CD which creates a bootable specialized
    linux distro based on SliTaz and the developer's app and some rainbow
    tables.

    Then you boot the live CD which proceeds to examine the hash and use the
    rainbow tables to 'reverse' the hash to find XP passwords if they aren't
    too long or contain the wrong kind of characters.

    http://ophcrack.sourceforge.net/ Ophcrack is a free Windows password
    cracker based on rainbow tables. It is a very efficient implementation
    of rainbow tables done by the inventors of the method. It comes with a
    Graphical User Interface and runs on multiple platforms.


    --
    Mike Easter
     
    Mike Easter, Nov 19, 2010
    #11
  12. don

    VanguardLH Guest

    Raymond Schmit wrote:

    > On Thu, 18 Nov 2010 12:56:16 -0500, "Peter Foldes" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>"don" <> wrote in message news:ic1n03$50c$...
    >>> What is the best way to recover from a forgotten password on a Win XP
    >>> system.

    >>
    >>> I was thinking maybe booting into Windows Recovery mode from my WIN CD....
    >>> but not sure what next???

    >>
    >>Ask the person that set the Password

    >
    > He told you ...."best way to recover from a FORGOTTEN password" :)


    The OP didn't say that *he* forgot the password. If he was helping a
    "friend" then maybe that's where the password was forgotten but then
    maybe his friend got his computer from his parents so the parents know
    what are the admin login credentials. We don't know. We're all
    guessing, including you. The dearth of details may have been deliberate
    to be deceptive.
     
    VanguardLH, Nov 19, 2010
    #12
  13. On Thu, 18 Nov 2010 20:06:15 -0600, VanguardLH <> wrote:

    >Raymond Schmit wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 18 Nov 2010 12:56:16 -0500, "Peter Foldes" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>"don" <> wrote in message news:ic1n03$50c$...
    >>>> What is the best way to recover from a forgotten password on a Win XP
    >>>> system.
    >>>
    >>>> I was thinking maybe booting into Windows Recovery mode from my WIN CD....
    >>>> but not sure what next???
    >>>
    >>>Ask the person that set the Password

    >>
    >> He told you ...."best way to recover from a FORGOTTEN password" :)

    >
    >The OP didn't say that *he* forgot the password. If he was helping a
    >"friend" then maybe that's where the password was forgotten but then
    >maybe his friend got his computer from his parents so the parents know
    >what are the admin login credentials. We don't know. We're all
    >guessing, including you. The dearth of details may have been deliberate
    >to be deceptive.


    BUT .... you guess .....

    The op have reacted on my post saying:
    "Thank-you, I don't know why people are so quick to jump on a post and
    make stupid comments??????"

    So, i am true ....
     
    Raymond Schmit, Nov 19, 2010
    #13
  14. don

    VanguardLH Guest

    Raymond Schmit wrote:

    > On Thu, 18 Nov 2010 20:06:15 -0600, VanguardLH <> wrote:
    >
    >>Raymond Schmit wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Thu, 18 Nov 2010 12:56:16 -0500, "Peter Foldes" <>
    >>> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>>"don" <> wrote in message news:ic1n03$50c$...
    >>>>> What is the best way to recover from a forgotten password on a Win XP
    >>>>> system.
    >>>>
    >>>>> I was thinking maybe booting into Windows Recovery mode from my WIN CD....
    >>>>> but not sure what next???
    >>>>
    >>>>Ask the person that set the Password
    >>>
    >>> He told you ...."best way to recover from a FORGOTTEN password" :)

    >>
    >>The OP didn't say that *he* forgot the password. If he was helping a
    >>"friend" then maybe that's where the password was forgotten but then
    >>maybe his friend got his computer from his parents so the parents know
    >>what are the admin login credentials. We don't know. We're all
    >>guessing, including you. The dearth of details may have been deliberate
    >>to be deceptive.

    >
    > BUT .... you guess .....


    But .... so do you ..... that Peter's response wasn't on target.

    > The op have reacted on my post saying:
    > "Thank-you, I don't know why people are so quick to jump on a post and
    > make stupid comments??????"


    His response says nothing of value. It doesn't reinforce or detract
    from Peter's guess, or your guess that Peter was wrong.

    > So, i am true ....


    About what? The OP never did address the questions or even state whose
    guesses were wrong or provide any additional details as to WHO forgot
    the password. But then you were looking for a pat on the back for a
    non-solution response.


    His response did not state if your guess was correct. But then you
    didn't offer him anything of help in his task of CRACKING the password.
     
    VanguardLH, Nov 19, 2010
    #14
  15. On Fri, 19 Nov 2010 04:09:50 -0600, VanguardLH <> wrote:

    >Raymond Schmit wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 18 Nov 2010 20:06:15 -0600, VanguardLH <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Raymond Schmit wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> On Thu, 18 Nov 2010 12:56:16 -0500, "Peter Foldes" <>
    >>>> wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>>"don" <> wrote in message news:ic1n03$50c$...
    >>>>>> What is the best way to recover from a forgotten password on a Win XP
    >>>>>> system.
    >>>>>
    >>>>>> I was thinking maybe booting into Windows Recovery mode from my WIN CD....
    >>>>>> but not sure what next???
    >>>>>
    >>>>>Ask the person that set the Password
    >>>>
    >>>> He told you ...."best way to recover from a FORGOTTEN password" :)
    >>>
    >>>The OP didn't say that *he* forgot the password. If he was helping a
    >>>"friend" then maybe that's where the password was forgotten but then
    >>>maybe his friend got his computer from his parents so the parents know
    >>>what are the admin login credentials. We don't know. We're all
    >>>guessing, including you. The dearth of details may have been deliberate
    >>>to be deceptive.

    >>
    >> BUT .... you guess .....

    >
    >But .... so do you ..... that Peter's response wasn't on target.
    >
    >> The op have reacted on my post saying:
    >> "Thank-you, I don't know why people are so quick to jump on a post and
    >> make stupid comments??????"

    >
    >His response says nothing of value. It doesn't reinforce or detract
    >from Peter's guess, or your guess that Peter was wrong.
    >
    >> So, i am true ....

    >
    >About what? The OP never did address the questions or even state whose
    >guesses were wrong or provide any additional details as to WHO forgot
    >the password. But then you were looking for a pat on the back for a
    >non-solution response.
    >
    >
    >His response did not state if your guess was correct. But then you
    >didn't offer him anything of help in his task of CRACKING the password.



    At anytime, you never understand that knowing WHO forgot the password
    is not important ?.....
    And also ....
    "Ask the person that set the Password " is stupid because the password
    IS forgotten - so no way to retrieve it by memory.
     
    Raymond Schmit, Nov 19, 2010
    #15
  16. don

    Mike Easter Guest

    Raymond Schmit wrote:

    > At anytime, you never understand that knowing WHO forgot the password
    > is not important ?.....
    > And also ....
    > "Ask the person that set the Password " is stupid because the password
    > IS forgotten - so no way to retrieve it by memory.


    I disagree with all that.

    It does make a difference who 'forgot' the pass.

    Part of the strategy for recovering a pass includes guessing at the pass.

    Sometimes a person leaves a pass blank/empty and the cursor needs to be
    in the field so that the 'nothing is there' is entered.

    Typically the person who forgot the pass has a number of possibilities
    in mind that they might have created -- that is, they know that they
    didn't employ a random pass generator and that their pass is pretty
    short with no special characters and it might be any one of these
    possibilities that they frequently use.

    Or, the person who forgot the pass might know that they employed a long
    pass created by a random pass generator which included special
    characters, so then they know that some popular pass hash crackers like
    OphCrack is not going to work in the free version, so instead of
    spending time trying to crack/reverse the hash, they employ a different
    free agent to get rid of the pass instead of cracking it.

    OphCrack also has pay versions with greater capabilities if they need to
    go that route.

    So it definitely makes a difference who forgot the pass to the person
    who is trying to solve the problem of a forgotten pass.


    --
    Mike Easter
     
    Mike Easter, Nov 19, 2010
    #16
  17. On Fri, 19 Nov 2010 15:34:07 -0800, Mike Easter <>
    wrote:

    >Raymond Schmit wrote:
    >
    >> At anytime, you never understand that knowing WHO forgot the password
    >> is not important ?.....
    >> And also ....
    >> "Ask the person that set the Password " is stupid because the password
    >> IS forgotten - so no way to retrieve it by memory.

    >
    >I disagree with all that.
    >
    >It does make a difference who 'forgot' the pass.
    >
    >Part of the strategy for recovering a pass includes guessing at the pass.
    >
    >Sometimes a person leaves a pass blank/empty and the cursor needs to be
    >in the field so that the 'nothing is there' is entered.
    >
    >Typically the person who forgot the pass has a number of possibilities
    >in mind that they might have created -- that is, they know that they
    >didn't employ a random pass generator and that their pass is pretty
    >short with no special characters and it might be any one of these
    >possibilities that they frequently use.
    >
    >Or, the person who forgot the pass might know that they employed a long
    >pass created by a random pass generator which included special
    >characters, so then they know that some popular pass hash crackers like
    >OphCrack is not going to work in the free version, so instead of
    >spending time trying to crack/reverse the hash, they employ a different
    >free agent to get rid of the pass instead of cracking it.
    >
    >OphCrack also has pay versions with greater capabilities if they need to
    >go that route.
    >
    >So it definitely makes a difference who forgot the pass to the person
    >who is trying to solve the problem of a forgotten pass.



    I had forgot a password (i had created it) ..... and i was unable to
    retrieve it ....
     
    Raymond Schmit, Nov 20, 2010
    #17
  18. don

    Mike Easter Guest

    Raymond Schmit wrote:
    > Mike Easter


    >> It does make a difference who 'forgot' the pass.


    > I had forgot a password (i had created it) ..... and i was unable to
    > retrieve it ....


    .... but you were in a better position to be able to guess the *kind of*
    password you created in the past.

    People create many passwords over time. Over that time, their password
    creation skill tends to evolve.

    First they use very simple passwords and maybe use the same password
    'all over the place'. Then they begin to learn more password tricks
    about how to make better passwords and how to use password generators
    and password keepers. They learn about passphrases and diceware and
    outrageous nonsense and how to go about creating a password which is
    easy to remember and very difficult to guess.

    Then they develop a 'style' of using passwords, where some passwords are
    trivial and some passwords are more important - so we have different
    pass strategies for different situations.

    Thus when it was you who created the pass, you know what kind of pass it
    was even if you don't remember it - the actual pass - you remember what
    'kind of ' pass you created in that situation.

    If you are at the stage of password evolution which doesn't yet know how
    to deal with the problem of remembering versus forgetting passwords,
    then you aren't very far along the path of password creation skills.

    This means that you created a fairly simple password of letters and/or
    numbers.

    So, you would know if the OphCrack free password cracker is going to
    work for you -- it can do 14 character strings of upper and lower case
    letters and the numbers.




    --
    Mike Easter
     
    Mike Easter, Nov 20, 2010
    #18
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. AK

    Cracking Up

    AK, Nov 10, 2003, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    11
    Views:
    822
    ┬░Mike┬░
    Nov 11, 2003
  2. Martino
    Replies:
    8
    Views:
    10,783
    Bill Marshal
    Feb 1, 2006
  3. LaDDL

    Re: Help needed on a bibliography of cracking

    LaDDL, Apr 26, 2004, in forum: Computer Security
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    445
    Marek Luch
    Apr 30, 2004
  4. Marek Luch

    Re: Help needed on a bibliography of cracking

    Marek Luch, Apr 30, 2004, in forum: Computer Security
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    427
    Marek Luch
    Apr 30, 2004
  5. Chris Suckling

    Password Cracking

    Chris Suckling, Nov 29, 2006, in forum: Computer Information
    Replies:
    9
    Views:
    356
    Engineer
    Dec 4, 2006
Loading...

Share This Page