    want to save as JPG.
    Thanks

    Brian
    Falcon, Nov 27, 2005

  2. Falcon wrote:
    > Hi everyone
    > My new Canon EOS 350D saves files in RAW format (which I wanted)
    > however the file extension is CR2 and my Photoshop CS cannot read
    > these nor can ACDSee. Can anyone advise how to get round this problem
    > bearingv in mind I do not want to save as JPG.
    > Thanks
    >
    > Brian

    Ah, the hidden costs of a DSLR!

    Try: RawShooter Essentials

    http://www.pixmantec.com/products/rawshooter_essentials.html

    David
    David J Taylor, Nov 27, 2005

  3. Falcon

    Chris Brown Guest

    In article <r9fif.8787$>,
    Falcon <> wrote:
    >Hi everyone
    >My new Canon EOS 350D saves files in RAW format (which I wanted) however the
    >file extension is CR2 and my Photoshop CS cannot read these nor can ACDSee.
    >Can anyone advise how to get round this problem bearingv in mind I do not
    >want to save as JPG.

    Download the latest version of Adobe DNG Convertor (free) from the Adobe
    website and convert your .CR2 files to DNG. This doesn't lose any
    information (DNG is a "universal" camera raw format), and provided your
    Camera RAW plugin for CS is up-to-date (also a feee download from Adobe),
    you will be able to open them in CS, and perform all the raw adjustments.
    Chris Brown, Nov 27, 2005
  4. On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 09:39:35 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "Falcon"
    <> wrote:

    >Hi everyone
    >My new Canon EOS 350D saves files in RAW format (which I wanted) however the
    >file extension is CR2 and my Photoshop CS cannot read these nor can ACDSee.
    >Can anyone advise how to get round this problem bearingv in mind I do not
    >want to save as JPG.

    I don't use PS, but don't all you need is the upgraded copy of ACR ?
    --
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
    Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!), Nov 27, 2005
  5. Falcon

    Falcon Guest

    "Chris Brown" <_uce_please.com> wrote in message
    > In article <r9fif.8787$>,
    > Falcon <> wrote:
    >>Hi everyone
    >>My new Canon EOS 350D saves files in RAW format (which I wanted) however
    >>the
    >>file extension is CR2 and my Photoshop CS cannot read these nor can
    >>ACDSee.
    >>Can anyone advise how to get round this problem bearingv in mind I do not
    >>want to save as JPG.

    > Download the latest version of Adobe DNG Convertor (free) from the Adobe
    > website and convert your .CR2 files to DNG. This doesn't lose any
    > information (DNG is a "universal" camera raw format), and provided your
    > Camera RAW plugin for CS is up-to-date (also a feee download from Adobe),
    > you will be able to open them in CS, and perform all the raw adjustments.

    Hi Chris
    Thanks for that answer which is perfect.
    Cheers

    Brian
    Falcon, Nov 27, 2005
  6. Falcon

    Falcon Guest

    "David J Taylor"
    <-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid> wrote in
    message news:tkfif.16396$...
    > Falcon wrote:
    >> Hi everyone
    >> My new Canon EOS 350D saves files in RAW format (which I wanted)
    >> however the file extension is CR2 and my Photoshop CS cannot read
    >> these nor can ACDSee. Can anyone advise how to get round this problem
    >> bearingv in mind I do not want to save as JPG.
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> Brian

    > Ah, the hidden costs of a DSLR!
    >
    > Try: RawShooter Essentials
    >
    > http://www.pixmantec.com/products/rawshooter_essentials.html
    >
    > David

    Hi DAvid
    Thanks for the info. Will also check out the website.
    Regards

    Brian
    Falcon, Nov 27, 2005
  7. Falcon wrote:
    > "David J Taylor"

    []
    >> Try: RawShooter Essentials
    >>
    >> http://www.pixmantec.com/products/rawshooter_essentials.html
    >>
    >> David

    > Hi DAvid
    > Thanks for the info. Will also check out the website.
    > Regards
    >
    > Brian

    It sounds as though there are updates to the Adobe software which will
    work, but some people prefer the results with different convertors, such
    as RSE.

    By they way: you haven't commented on the "DSLR has better colours" remark
    a couple of us questioned. Can you post any examples on a Web site?

    David
    David J Taylor, Nov 27, 2005
  8. On $DATE , Falcon wrote:

    > Hi everyone
    > My new Canon EOS 350D saves files in RAW format (which I wanted)
    > however the file extension is CR2 and my Photoshop CS cannot read
    > these nor can ACDSee. Can anyone advise how to get round this
    > problem bearingv in mind I do not want to save as JPG.
    > Thanks

    The GIMP, version 2.2 which I use, says it will open these files
    and it should be free to run on Window$ or Linux. I have not
    tried this myself, but the CR2 format is listed in the "open file"
    dialog.

    --
    Regards,
    Fred.
    Fred Williams, Nov 27, 2005
  9. Fred Williams <> writes:

    > On $DATE , Falcon wrote:
    >
    >> Hi everyone
    >> My new Canon EOS 350D saves files in RAW format (which I wanted)
    >> however the file extension is CR2 and my Photoshop CS cannot read
    >> these nor can ACDSee. Can anyone advise how to get round this
    >> problem bearingv in mind I do not want to save as JPG.
    >> Thanks
    >>

    > The GIMP, version 2.2 which I use, says it will open these files
    > and it should be free to run on Window$ or Linux. I have not
    > tried this myself, but the CR2 format is listed in the "open file"
    > dialog.

    The Gimp requires additional plugins to handle Canon raw files.

    --
    Måns Rullgård
    =?iso-8859-1?q?M=E5ns_Rullg=E5rd?=, Nov 27, 2005
  10. On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 09:39:35 GMT, "Falcon" <>
    wrote:

    >Hi everyone
    >My new Canon EOS 350D saves files in RAW format (which I wanted) however the
    >file extension is CR2 and my Photoshop CS cannot read these nor can ACDSee.
    >Can anyone advise how to get round this problem bearingv in mind I do not
    >want to save as JPG.
    >Thanks

    Do you have the newest version of ACR for Photoshop?

    http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=39&platform=Windows

    You need ACR to use CR2 files.

    -James Nachtwey-
    http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/
    John A. Stovall, Nov 27, 2005
  11. Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!) wrote:
    > On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 09:39:35 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "Falcon"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >Hi everyone
    > >My new Canon EOS 350D saves files in RAW format (which I wanted) however the
    > >file extension is CR2 and my Photoshop CS cannot read these nor can ACDSee.
    > >Can anyone advise how to get round this problem bearingv in mind I do not
    > >want to save as JPG.

    > I don't use PS, but don't all you need is the upgraded copy of ACR ?

    No. The last ACR that CS supports is ACR 2.4, which doesn't support the
    350D. But it does support DNG. The 3.1 DNG Converter, (and later
    versions - the latest is 3.3 beta), can turn the raws into DNGs which
    ACR 2.4 can read.

    There are about 35 cameras and digital backs that were launched after
    ACR 2.4 shipped that can be supported via the convert-to-DNG route.
    This is Adobe's official route for supporting new cameras without
    upgrading to CS2, (which takes the ACR 3.x series).

    (And, in response to the poster's mention of ACDSee. ACDSee Pro Photo
    Manager, expected January, is supposed to support the 350D. Or at least
    the Rebel XT, which is the same camera with a different name.
    Unfortunately, some products fail to support cameras with different
    names, because they don't recognise that they can!)

    --
    Barry Pearson
    http://www.barry.pearson.name/photography/
    Barry Pearson, Nov 27, 2005
  12. Falcon

    Eatmorepies Guest

    "Falcon" <> wrote in message
    > Hi everyone
    > My new Canon EOS 350D saves files in RAW format (which I wanted) however
    > the file extension is CR2 and my Photoshop CS cannot read these nor can
    > ACDSee.
    > Can anyone advise how to get round this problem bearingv in mind I do not
    > want to save as JPG.
    > Thanks
    >
    > Brian

    Your camera came with Zoombrowser - it converts RAW to jpeg or TIFF.

    John
    Eatmorepies, Nov 27, 2005
  13. Off the top of my head I think the latest ACR updates are only for CS2 and
    Elements 3 and 4.

    Ian

    Digital Photography Now
    http://dpnow.com

    Digital Photography Now, Nov 27, 2005
  14. Falcon

    Frank ess Guest

    Barry Pearson wrote:
    > Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!) wrote:
    >> On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 09:39:35 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "Falcon"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi everyone
    >>> My new Canon EOS 350D saves files in RAW format (which I wanted)
    >>> however the file extension is CR2 and my Photoshop CS cannot read
    >>> these nor can ACDSee. Can anyone advise how to get round this
    >>> problem bearingv in mind I do not want to save as JPG.

    >> I don't use PS, but don't all you need is the upgraded copy of ACR
    >> ?

    > No. The last ACR that CS supports is ACR 2.4, which doesn't support
    > the 350D.

    You must have a different 350D/ACR 2.4 than mine. When I got the 350D
    (RebXT), PS CS told me it didn't recognize the files. Quick ACR
    upgrade and it's been smooth sailing ever since (months now. Months.).

    --
    Frank ess
    Frank ess, Nov 27, 2005
  15. Falcon

    Backbone Guest

    "Falcon" <> wrote in message
    > Hi everyone
    > My new Canon EOS 350D saves files in RAW format (which I wanted) however

    the
    > file extension is CR2 and my Photoshop CS cannot read these nor can

    ACDSee.

    Adobe site supplies the raw plug-in for CS -->
    http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/main.html

    --
    There are no words that can be heard unless someone listens....
    Remove *flaps* to reply
    Backbone, Nov 27, 2005
  16. Frank ess wrote:
    > Barry Pearson wrote:

    [snip]
    > > No. The last ACR that CS supports is ACR 2.4, which doesn't support
    > > the 350D.

    > You must have a different 350D/ACR 2.4 than mine. When I got the 350D
    > (RebXT), PS CS told me it didn't recognize the files. Quick ACR
    > upgrade and it's been smooth sailing ever since (months now. Months.).

    Can you confirm what you are saying? That ACR 2.4 supports the CR2s
    from the 350D / Rebel XT?

    If so, I am truly gobsmacked! For 3 reasons:

    1. I have ACR 2.4, and it doesn't support CR2s from a Rebel XT.

    2. Adobe's release documentation doesn't provide any hint that ACR 2.4
    supports this camera, and in fact announced it as part of ACR 3.1, (not
    even 3.0!)

    3. The date Adobe state for the donload of ACR 2.4 is 31 January,
    before the launch of the 350D.

    Forums have been full of people asking how they can support the 350D
    with CS / ACR 2.4. The advice has always been to use the convert-to-DNG
    route, because no one knew of an alternative.

    In fact, even Thomas Knoll believes that ACR 3.1 was the first to
    support the 350D:

    http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?.36@.3bb6a85c.3bba2f0f/2

    Or see: http://tinyurl.com/c7k4q

    "Thomas Knoll - 4:00am Apr 30, 05 PST (#3 of 3)
    Support for the 350D/Rebel XT/Kiss N will be added in Camera Raw 3.1,
    which will be posted in May"

    Barry Pearson, Nov 27, 2005
  17. Falcon

    Neil Ellwood Guest

    On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 14:42:31 +0000, Måns Rullgård wrote:

    > Fred Williams <> writes:
    >
    >> On $DATE , Falcon wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi everyone
    >>> My new Canon EOS 350D saves files in RAW format (which I wanted)
    >>> however the file extension is CR2 and my Photoshop CS cannot read
    >>> these nor can ACDSee. Can anyone advise how to get round this
    >>> problem bearingv in mind I do not want to save as JPG.
    >>> Thanks
    >>>

    >> The GIMP, version 2.2 which I use, says it will open these files
    >> and it should be free to run on Window$ or Linux. I have not
    >> tried this myself, but the CR2 format is listed in the "open file"
    >> dialog.

    > The Gimp requires additional plugins to handle Canon raw files.

    UFraw, rawphoto etc.
    --
    Neil
    Linux Counter 335851
    Neil Ellwood, Nov 27, 2005
  18. Falcon

    Frank ess Guest

    Barry Pearson wrote:
    > Frank ess wrote:
    >> Barry Pearson wrote:

    > [snip]
    >>> No. The last ACR that CS supports is ACR 2.4, which doesn't
    >>> support
    >>> the 350D.

    >> You must have a different 350D/ACR 2.4 than mine. When I got the
    >> 350D
    >> (RebXT), PS CS told me it didn't recognize the files. Quick ACR
    >> upgrade and it's been smooth sailing ever since (months now.
    >> Months.).

    > Can you confirm what you are saying? That ACR 2.4 supports the CR2s
    > from the 350D / Rebel XT?

    Sorry. No more relying on memory for me: It's PS CS2 and 3.1.

    I did use the DNG ruse for a few days before 3.1 emerged.

    --
    Frank ess
    Frank ess, Nov 27, 2005
  19. Falcon

    C Wright Guest

    On 11/27/05 9:30 AM, in article
    , "Barry Pearson"
    <> wrote:

    snip

    > No. The last ACR that CS supports is ACR 2.4, which doesn't support the
    > 350D. But it does support DNG. The 3.1 DNG Converter, (and later
    > versions - the latest is 3.3 beta), can turn the raws into DNGs which
    > ACR 2.4 can read.

    I will add here that, should the OP choose to try the DNG route, the
    conversion process is simplicity itself! Just point Adobe's DNG converter
    to the folder with the CR2 images (probably a card reader) then specify a
    folder on your hard drive where you want those images. The converter then
    converts all of the images to DNG. Almost as simple as drag and drop.
    Chuck
    C Wright, Nov 27, 2005
  20. Falcon

    Alan Guest

    Barry Pearson wrote:
    > Frank ess wrote:
    >
    >>Barry Pearson wrote:

    > [snip]
    >
    >>>No. The last ACR that CS supports is ACR 2.4, which doesn't support
    >>>the 350D.

    >>You must have a different 350D/ACR 2.4 than mine. When I got the 350D
    >>(RebXT), PS CS told me it didn't recognize the files. Quick ACR
    >>upgrade and it's been smooth sailing ever since (months now. Months.).

    > Can you confirm what you are saying? That ACR 2.4 supports the CR2s
    > from the 350D / Rebel XT?
    >
    > If so, I am truly gobsmacked! For 3 reasons:
    >
    > 1. I have ACR 2.4, and it doesn't support CR2s from a Rebel XT.
    >
    > 2. Adobe's release documentation doesn't provide any hint that ACR 2.4
    > supports this camera, and in fact announced it as part of ACR 3.1, (not
    > even 3.0!)
    >
    > 3. The date Adobe state for the donload of ACR 2.4 is 31 January,
    > before the launch of the 350D.
    >
    > Forums have been full of people asking how they can support the 350D
    > with CS / ACR 2.4. The advice has always been to use the convert-to-DNG
    > route, because no one knew of an alternative.
    >
    > In fact, even Thomas Knoll believes that ACR 3.1 was the first to
    > support the 350D:
    >
    > http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?.36@.3bb6a85c.3bba2f0f/2
    >
    > Or see: http://tinyurl.com/c7k4q
    >
    > "Thomas Knoll - 4:00am Apr 30, 05 PST (#3 of 3)
    > Support for the 350D/Rebel XT/Kiss N will be added in Camera Raw 3.1,
    > which will be posted in May"
    >
    > --
    > Barry Pearson
    > http://www.barry.pearson.name/photography/
    > http://www.birdsandanimals.info/

    I use ACR 2.4 and I have no problems opening my cr2 files from my
    Canon 1d-mkII in PS CS.
    Alan, Nov 27, 2005