    Id prefer something that can run x86 code, but that _may_ not be a big
    issue

    TIA :)

    Shane, Aug 9, 2005

  2. Shane

    Rider Guest

    "Shane" <-a-geek.net> wrote in message
    news:p-a-geek.net...
    > How do I go about getting a lower end proc like pentium 200<=>500 MHz
    > catch is.. I want them brand new
    > there must be someone manufacturing them, as there are still products
    > coming out with low end
    > Id prefer something that can run x86 code, but that _may_ not be a big
    > issue
    >

    > TIA :)
    >
    > --
    > Hardware, n.: The parts of a computer system that can be kicked
    >
    > The best way to get the right answer on usenet is to post the wrong one.

    Unless someone has incredibly old stock on his shelf, you won't find a brand
    new one.

    Rider
    Rider, Aug 9, 2005

  3. Shane

    Rider Guest

    "Rider" <> wrote in message

    > "Shane" <-a-geek.net> wrote in message
    >> How do I go about getting a lower end proc like pentium 200<=>500 MHz
    >> catch is.. I want them brand new
    >> there must be someone manufacturing them, as there are still products
    >> coming out with low end
    >> Id prefer something that can run x86 code, but that _may_ not be a big
    >> issue
    >>

    >> TIA :)
    >>
    >> --
    >> Hardware, n.: The parts of a computer system that can be kicked
    >>
    >> The best way to get the right answer on usenet is to post the wrong one.
    >>

    > Unless someone has incredibly old stock on his shelf, you won't find a
    > brand new one.
    >
    > Rider

    I'm meaning an Intel Pentium cpu.
    Rider, Aug 9, 2005
  4. Shane

    cowboyz Guest

    > How do I go about getting a lower end proc like pentium 200<=>500 MHz
    > catch is.. I want them brand new
    > there must be someone manufacturing them, as there are still products
    > coming out with low end
    > Id prefer something that can run x86 code, but that _may_ not be a big
    > issue
    >

    > TIA :)
    >
    > --
    > Hardware, n.: The parts of a computer system that can be kicked
    >
    > The best way to get the right answer on usenet is to post the wrong one.

    "low end" now days is a Sempron 2600 or a celeron 2G

    2-500Mhz?? I really don't like your chances.
    cowboyz, Aug 9, 2005
  5. Shane

    AD. Guest

    On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 15:38:38 +1200, Shane wrote:

    > How do I go about getting a lower end proc like pentium 200<=>500 MHz
    > catch is.. I want them brand new
    > there must be someone manufacturing them, as there are still products
    > coming out with low end
    > Id prefer something that can run x86 code, but that _may_ not be a big
    > issue

    For actual Pentiums, you'd have to be an embedded manufacturer and deal
    directly with Intel for them in volume I reckon. Unless you can find some
    old batch somewhere that was lost behind the shelving for a few years and
    now has been put up on ebay or something :)

    Otherwise, I'd suggest VIA C3s or something like that (mobo included
    though).

    --
    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., Aug 9, 2005
  6. Shane

    Shane Guest

    > For actual Pentiums, you'd have to be an embedded manufacturer and deal
    > directly with Intel for them in volume I reckon. Unless you can find some
    > old batch somewhere that was lost behind the shelving for a few years and
    > now has been put up on ebay or something :)

    Yeah, I figured they still ahve to be in manufacture somewhere, as there
    are a lot of devices that run this type of proc
    Playstations, Cars, the list goes on

    > Otherwise, I'd suggest

    VIA C3s or something like that (mobo included
    > though).

    no prizes for guessing whos going to be giving google a thrashing tonight
    ;-)

    Shane, Aug 9, 2005
  7. Shane

    Rich Guest

    > How do I go about getting a lower end proc like pentium 200<=>500 MHz
    > catch is.. I want them brand new
    > there must be someone manufacturing them, as there are still products
    > coming out with low end
    > Id prefer something that can run x86 code, but that _may_ not be a big
    > issue

    You could try someone like HP spare parts - they seem to be able to get
    ancient parts. They can be rather pricey though.
    Rich, Aug 9, 2005
  8. "AD." <> wrote:

    > there must be someone manufacturing [200-500MHz
    > Pentium processors] as there are still products
    > coming out with low end

    Really? What current products use Pentium processors in the 200-500MHz
    range? I'm not saying you're wrong, but I assume you can think of some
    examples.
    Steve Marshall, Aug 9, 2005
  9. Shane

    Shane Guest

    On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 20:16:22 +1200, Steve Marshall wrote:

    > "AD." <> wrote:
    >
    >> there must be someone manufacturing [200-500MHz Pentium processors] as
    >> there are still products coming out with low end

    > Really? What current products use Pentium processors in the 200-500MHz
    > range? I'm not saying you're wrong, but I assume you can think of some
    > examples.

    wasnt the playstation 1 running a 486?

    Shane, Aug 9, 2005
  10. Shane

    some guy Guest

    On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 15:38:38 +1200, Shane <-a-geek.net>
    wrote:

    >How do I go about getting a lower end proc like pentium 200<=>500 MHz
    >catch is.. I want them brand new
    >there must be someone manufacturing them, as there are still products
    >coming out with low end
    >Id prefer something that can run x86 code, but that _may_ not be a big
    >issue
    >

    >TIA :)

    Build a time machine and set the controls for 1999
    some guy, Aug 9, 2005
  11. Shane

    Shane Guest

    On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 20:16:22 +1200, Steve Marshall wrote:

    > "AD." <> wrote:
    >
    >> there must be someone manufacturing [200-500MHz Pentium processors] as
    >> there are still products coming out with low end

    > Really? What current products use Pentium processors in the 200-500MHz
    > range? I'm not saying you're wrong, but I assume you can think of some
    > examples.

    http://www.cirrus.com/en/products/pro/detail/P1061.html
    The EP9307 is a low-cost, integrated system-on-chip processor for
    applications that require a rich user interface. The EP9307 features an
    advanced 200 MHz ARM920T processor design with a memory management unit
    (MMU) that supports Linux®, Windows® CE, and many other embedded
    operating systems. The ARM920T's 32-bit microcontroller architecture, with
    a five-stage pipeline, delivers impressive performance at very low power.

    http://www.intel.com/design/intarch/mmx/mmx.htm
    From point-of-sale (POS) terminals and retail kiosks to advanced networking
    equipment, Pentium® processors with MMX™ technology enable developers
    of embedded systems to step up to new levels of performance. To make
    these designs even easier and more flexible, Intel is making the
    performance advantages of MMX technology available at a choice of
    integration levels.

    * The upgrade path for embedded Intel® architecture includes longer life
    cycle support for the 200 MHz and 233 MHz Pentium processors with MMX
    technology.

    * Intel offers 166 MHz and 266 MHz Low-power Pentium processors with
    MMX technology. Both are available in thin HL-PBGA packaging, as well
    as PPGA packaging. The 166 MHz Pentium processor is also available in
    extended temperature range -40ºC to +115ºC. * Also, the Intel 430TX
    PCIset now supports synchronous DRAM [SDRAM] in embedded applications.

    Theres actually a _huge_ market for them (I just needed the word embedded
    to get google working propa :)

    Shane, Aug 9, 2005
  12. Shane

    AD. Guest

    On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 20:16:22 +1200, Steve Marshall wrote:

    > "AD." <> wrote:
    >
    >> there must be someone manufacturing [200-500MHz Pentium processors] as
    >> there are still products coming out with low end

    That wasn't actually my comment...

    > Really? What current products use Pentium processors in the 200-500MHz
    > range? I'm not saying you're wrong, but I assume you can think of some
    > examples.

    ....but I'll have a go anyway...

    I don't know of any Pentium 200-500s off the top of my head that are being
    used, but 386s and 486s were still being produced (or at least stocked)
    for embedded purposes until recently, so I assume that Pentiums are still
    going for those channels. I remember Intel (or was that AMD?) announcing
    that they were finally stopping production of 486s a couple of years or so
    ago.

    It is possible that Intel has distanced itself from that market once
    Pentiums came out - eg Soekris (http://www.soekris.com/products.htm) are
    using AMD 486s instead of Intel ones.

    A quick google found these - but I have no idea how current the products
    are:

    http://www.pentek.com/products/Detail.CFM?Model=4231
    http://www.eltech.co.uk/standard_pr...le_board_computers/half-size/emcore-i5501.php
    http://www.eltech.co.uk/standard_products/industrial_pc/box_pc/bpc-500-5820.php

    It might not just be for embedded customers - the US DoD and NASA etc have
    very long lifecycle requirements for chips (once they get certified) and
    probably still had guaranteed supplies of 486s until recently and possibly
    still do with Pentiums.

    But all this is academic for Shane trying to get his hands on some :)

    --
    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., Aug 9, 2005
  13. Shane

    Mercury Guest

    There are many "robotic" controllers that use a variety of low end hardware
    and have no reason at all to change. Systems often are 80286 based running
    DOS 3.x and use DOS no security model to allow direct IO to stock
    controllers on ISA bus.

    The first I came across was a computerised laser cutting machine for
    clothing - it used one of the first Apple machines ever released ( around
    1980).

    These machines are often hugely expensive and preventative maintenance and
    the occasional spot fix keeps them running for many years.

    For this reason, there are still manufacturers of such motherboards. There
    are also companies that supply new CPU's from stock.

    If the OP wants a matched pair of pentiums for a dual, then that is what
    must be sought, otherwise buying a 2nd hand system that has been running for
    over a decade offers no disadvantage.

    Mercury, Aug 9, 2005
  14. Shane

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Steve Marshall <> wrote in

    > Really? What current products use Pentium processors in the 200-500MHz
    > range? I'm not saying you're wrong, but I assume you can think of some
    > examples.

    Print controllers, or whatever you want to call the bit that makes the
    copier able to print pages from your computer.

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Aug 9, 2005
  15. Shane

    Rob J Guest

    wrote:

    >How do I go about getting a lower end proc like pentium 200<=>500 MHz
    >catch is.. I want them brand new
    >there must be someone manufacturing them, as there are still products
    >coming out with low end
    >Id prefer something that can run x86 code, but that _may_ not be a big
    >issue

    Still made for embedded stuff
    But where do you get a mobo
    Rob J, Aug 9, 2005

    news.xtra.co.nz, Aug 9, 2005
  17. "Shane" <-a-geek.net> wrote in message
    > How do I go about getting a lower end proc like pentium 200<=>500 MHz
    > catch is.. I want them brand new
    > there must be someone manufacturing them, as there are still products
    > coming out with low end
    > Id prefer something that can run x86 code, but that _may_ not be a big
    > issue
    >

    > TIA :)
    >
    > --
    > Hardware, n.: The parts of a computer system that can be kicked
    >
    > The best way to get the right answer on usenet is to post the wrong one.

    Call nasa....or maybe not, I think they use 386's in the shuttle.
    news.xtra.co.nz, Aug 9, 2005
  18. >
    > For actual Pentiums, you'd have to be an embedded manufacturer and deal
    > directly with Intel for them in volume I reckon. Unless you can find some
    > old batch somewhere that was lost behind the shelving for a few years and
    > now has been put up on ebay or something :)
    >
    > Otherwise, I'd suggest VIA C3s or something like that (mobo included
    > though).
    >
    > --
    > Cheers
    > Anton

    Yeah the VIA C3 is great if you want low power consumption. They can even
    be passively cooled. Still powerful enough to browse the net and run office
    applications.

    Steve
    Stephen Williams, Aug 10, 2005