    Did a goggle but just get sales
    Thanks
    Andy
    Nick, Oct 23, 2005

  2. Nick

    Dave Lear Guest

    http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/index.html

    http://www23.tomshardware.com/index.html
    Dave Lear, Oct 23, 2005

  3. Nick

    why? Guest

    On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 20:14:39 GMT, Nick wrote:

    >OK just need a bit of advice on all the new processors.
    >Last time I built a pc we had :- AMD had Athlon,Duron ; Intel had Pentium
    >and Celaron,.
    >As I said its been awhile since my last build and basically need a advise on
    >where to go and what's best?

    AMD Desktop- Sempron and 64bit (single and dual core). Servers - Opteron

    Intel - P4 Hyperthreading , Celeron D. Also dual core types.

    Where depends on country , cost.

    Best is different for everyone. I would prefer reasonable (non-gaming
    graphics) , average sound, easy memory expansion, 4 IDE + SATA, either
    CPU make, which ever is less expensive. You may prefer something else.

    You may be better off starting with what mobo, what onboard features do
    you want, what onboard bits don't you want i.e. sound if sll you have to
    do is disable it because you are fitting an existing sound card.
    What sort of memory expansion , max 2GB or more. Maybe you want lots of
    SATA ports.

    Usually if you sort out the feature list you want on a mobo there will
    be a pick of Intel / AMD CPUs to fit.

    >Did a goggle but just get sales

    use
    -sales
    in your search and something like
    +review +compare

    or even search for

    intel amd cpu review

    intel amd cpu processor roadmap

    Often / less often posted links
    http://www.tomshardware.com
    http://www.motherboards.org/
    http://www.intel.com/products/desktop/processors/index.htm
    http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118,00.html
    www.xbitlabs.com
    www.passmark.com
    http://www.extremetech.com/
    links to chip specs.

    Plenty of reading for you.

    Only had some of these bookmarked, had to use Google for the rest.

    >Thanks
    >Andy

    Me
    why?, Oct 23, 2005
  4. Nick

    Nick Guest

    Thanks
    Will make good reading,
    Think i'l go fo the Lastest AMD 64 Duel core ,with two Hard Drives,and try
    and muddle me way to set up a Raid thing,this is all new to me .
    Andy

    _____________________________________-

    Nick, Oct 23, 2005
  5. Nick

    Dave Lear Guest

    "Nick" wrote in message news:YMS6f.9962$

    > Think i'l go fo the Lastest AMD 64 Duel core ,with two Hard Drives,and
    > try and muddle me way to set up a Raid thing,this is all new to me .

    If you can afford a couple of 10,000RPM Raptor drives in a RAID stripe
    you'll be amazed how fast some things load up. :)
    Dave Lear, Oct 23, 2005
  6. Nick

    Nick Guest

    "Dave Lear" <> wrote in message
    > "Nick" wrote in message news:YMS6f.9962$
    >
    >> Think i'l go fo the Lastest AMD 64 Duel core ,with two Hard Drives,and
    >> try and muddle me way to set up a Raid thing,this is all new to me .

    > If you can afford a couple of 10,000RPM Raptor drives in a RAID stripe
    > you'll be amazed how fast some things load up. :)
    >_______________

    Motherboards?
    ASUS were good ,are they still now?
    Andy
    Nick, Oct 23, 2005
  7. Nick

    why? Guest

    On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 20:55:20 GMT, Nick wrote:

    >Thanks

    YW.

    >Will make good reading,
    >Think i'l go fo the Lastest AMD 64 Duel core ,with two Hard Drives,and try

    Don't go for the 64bit OS yet, XP Pro 64 , still a lot of driver issues.

    Before you consider going for an Windows 64bit OS, some more reading
    http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8

    Less with Server 2003 64 , at least in my case as I only want minimun
    extras if any for a server. Whereas in XP Pro , it's printers, video ,
    usb devices, AV , firewalls, office and outlook spell checkers etc.

    >and muddle me way to set up a Raid thing,this is all new to me .

    For 2 drives, you either have RAID 0 (which really isn't RAID) it speeds
    up access, and makes 2 x 120GB drives look like 1 x 240. However if 1
    disk faile it's all gone.

    2 disks in RAID 1 , mirrored used 2 x 120GB as 1 x 120GB, as it's a
    mirrored copy.

    Some RAID articles
    http://www.acnc.com/04_01_00.html
    http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/perf/raid/index.htm

    >Andy
    >
    >_____________________________________-
    >>
    >> On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 20:14:39 GMT, Nick wrote:
    >>
    >>>OK just need a bit of advice on all the new processors.
    >>>Last time I built a pc we had :- AMD had Athlon,Duron ; Intel had Pentium
    >>>and Celaron,.
    >>>As I said its been awhile since my last build and basically need a advise
    >>>on
    >>>where to go and what's best?

    >> AMD Desktop- Sempron and 64bit (single and dual core). Servers - Opteron
    >>
    >> Intel - P4 Hyperthreading , Celeron D. Also dual core types.

    <snip>

    >> Often / less often posted links
    >> http://www.tomshardware.com
    >> http://www.motherboards.org/
    >> http://www.intel.com/products/desktop/processors/index.htm
    >> http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118,00.html
    >> www.xbitlabs.com
    >> www.passmark.com
    >> http://www.extremetech.com/
    >> http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1841934,00.asp
    >> links to chip specs.

    <snip>

    Me
    why?, Oct 23, 2005
  8. Nick

    MrGrumpy Guest

    And remember stripe array has no data redundancy, lose one hd and you lose
    all

    MrGrumpy, Oct 24, 2005
  9. Nick

    Dan Evans Guest

    "Nick" <> wrote in message

    > Motherboards?
    > ASUS were good ,are they still now?

    Been good to me so far since I went back to them 18 months ago.

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Oct 24, 2005
  10. Nick

    Plato Guest

    Nick wrote:

    > OK just need a bit of advice on all the new processors.

    No problem here using any of the AMD model CPUs.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Oct 25, 2005
  11. Nick

    Nick Guest

    "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
    > Nick wrote:
    >>
    >> OK just need a bit of advice on all the new processors.

    > No problem here using any of the AMD model CPUs.

    > Ta ,

    But don't AMD CPUs run hottter then Intels'.?
    Sure they used to.
    Andy

    Nick, Oct 25, 2005