    This is a handy little program, It cooled my motherboard 10°C in a few
    minuets. You can get a shareware version from:

    www.cpuIdle.de

    Lloyd Jones, Jun 6, 2004

  2. Lloyd Jones

    Michael-NC Guest

    This is just MOHO...

    These programs have no effect when the CPU is under heavy load, only when
    the CPU is idle. As such, if you have a problem with high CPU temps under
    load, the program is useless. Anyone who has a temp problem when the CPU is
    under less than full load has a cooling problem that these type of apps can
    not solve.

    Bottom line in CPU temps: if you do not have cooling related lock-ups, you
    _don't_ have a problem. I learned this with a Palomino core CPU that ran 68C
    on an Asus A7A266 board. The NG's were full of panicked folks when Athlons
    first came out and that particular board, according to user reports, ran
    particularly hot. Well, that CPU is still running @68C after many years and
    is running quite well. After some initial hand-wringing over the CPU temp, I
    realized I never had a heat related lock-up and I really had no concern with
    the temps.

    Michael-NC, Jun 6, 2004

  3. Lloyd Jones

    Lloyd Jones Guest

    I lowered the temp of my PC.

    LJ

    Lloyd Jones, Jun 6, 2004
  4. Lloyd Jones

    Kenny Guest

    CPU idle crashed my system, Athlon 2500 XP on Asus A7N8X. Luckily I was
    able to get into Safe Mode and get rid of it.

    --

    Kenny

    Kenny, Jun 6, 2004
  5. Lloyd Jones

    Michael-NC Guest

    > I lowered the temp of my PC.
    >
    > LJ

    You lowered the temp of your CPU when it is idle, the program has no effect
    on the CPU when it is under load. That is why I made the comment on the
    subject you initiated. IMO, the programs are not an effective cooling
    solution and are no substitute for proper ventilation and physical cooling
    of a CPU. The only real concern about CPU temp is when the CPU is under
    load. If your CPU is too hot at partial load or at idle, you're in trouble.

    Michael-NC, Jun 6, 2004
  6. Lloyd Jones

    Lloyd Jones Guest

    I've got MBM 5 and my comp temp is usually about 30 C, I assume that's a
    safe temp to be at.

    LJ

    Lloyd Jones, Jun 6, 2004
  7. Lloyd Jones

    Michael-NC Guest

    > I've got MBM 5 and my comp temp is usually about 30 C, I assume that's a
    > safe temp to be at.
    >
    > LJ

    My motherboard is at 32C and my CPU: a XP2800 is @53C. Full load CPU temp
    can be 57 or 58C. Full load temp is the only thing I'm concerned about.
    A safe temp always goes back to stable operation. If the CPU is stable and
    is not inducing lock-ups, it's a safe operating temp. Since my machine is
    both stable and well within operating temperature parameters recommended by
    AMD, I know I have no concern with cooling.

    Naturally, all good cooling solutions and practices that can reduce temps
    under full loads should be implemented. These include proper placement and
    number of fans in the enclosure, proper routing of cables and the occasional
    cleaning of accumulated dust. I had a silent CPU fan by Zalman that would
    increase temps dramatically when the radial fins became dust clogged.
    Whenever MBM returned temps approaching 70C on the 1GHz. T-Bird, I knew it
    was time to bring the machine in the garage and hit it with my air
    compressor. Temps would then go down to 56C and gradually increase over time
    as more dust got in the system, Usually, it took about 3 months to prompt
    another cleaning. Even though I sometimes let the machine run for a couple
    weeks with 70C full load temps, it never did lock-up. CPU idling programs
    wouldn't be of any use in such a situation nor are they of any use, in any
    system, when the CPU is under load. I don't mean to knock your post, I just
    fail to understand the usefulness of a resident program that throttles back
    a idle CPU in a desktop system.

    Michael-NC, Jun 7, 2004
  8. Lloyd Jones

    AdamC Guest

    "Michael-NC" <> wrote in message

    > "Lloyd Jones" <@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > I've got MBM 5 and my comp temp is usually about 30 C, I assume that's a
    > > safe temp to be at.
    > >
    > > LJ

    Those are still high temps! My Athlon XP 1800+ is running at 38 C and my
    case is at 28 C. Under load I never hit higher than 43 C. I just have
    really good cooling.

    AdamC

    AdamC, Jun 7, 2004
  9. Lloyd Jones

    Plato Guest

    Lloyd Jones wrote:

    > This is a handy little program, It cooled my motherboard 10°C in a few
    > minuets. You can get a shareware version from:

    Just curious. Were you having a heat related problem?

    Secondly. Why run a cooling app. and use just another background app
    which may cause problems if your cpu is running within temp specs
    anyway?

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Jun 7, 2004
  10. Lloyd Jones

    Plato Guest

    Michael-NC wrote:

    > You lowered the temp of your CPU when it is idle, the program has no effect
    > on the CPU when it is under load. That is why I made the comment on the
    > subject you initiated. IMO, the programs are not an effective cooling
    > solution and are no substitute for proper ventilation and physical cooling
    > of a CPU. The only real concern about CPU temp is when the CPU is under
    > load. If your CPU is too hot at partial load or at idle, you're in trouble.

    In other words, dont use software to fix a hardware problem. Or, in this
    case, if there was a real problem to begin with.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Jun 7, 2004
  11. Lloyd Jones

    Michael-NC Guest

    "AdamC" <> wrote in message
    > "Michael-NC" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Lloyd Jones" <@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > > I've got MBM 5 and my comp temp is usually about 30 C, I assume that's

    > > > safe temp to be at.
    > > >
    > > > LJ

    > Those are still high temps! My Athlon XP 1800+ is running at 38 C and my
    > case is at 28 C. Under load I never hit higher than 43 C. I just have
    > really good cooling.
    >
    > AdamC

    Those are _not_ high temps at all. The Athlon T-Bird that ran at 70C was
    high. 52C is not hot.

    Besides, like I mentioned before, I have a XP2100 that has been running at
    68C for years.

    Michael-NC, Jun 7, 2004
  12. Lloyd Jones

    AdamC Guest

    "Michael-NC" <> wrote in message

    > "AdamC" <> wrote in message
    > > "Michael-NC" <> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > "Lloyd Jones" <@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    that's

    > > Those are still high temps! My Athlon XP 1800+ is running at 38 C and

    my
    > > case is at 28 C. Under load I never hit higher than 43 C. I just have
    > > really good cooling.
    > >
    > > AdamC

    > Those are _not_ high temps at all. The Athlon T-Bird that ran at 70C was
    > high. 52C is not hot.
    >
    > Besides, like I mentioned before, I have a XP2100 that has been running at
    > 68C for years.

    My old Athlon T-Bird 1.2 used to run around 41 C and the case around 34 C.
    I live in Kingston, Ontario, Canada which gets real damn cold during the
    winter and super hot and humid during the summer. Those temps are usually
    steady all year round. I love the fact that my Athlon XP 1800+ runs much
    cooler than my old T-Bird.

    AdamC

    AdamC, Jun 7, 2004
  13. Lloyd Jones

    Thor Guest

    "Michael-NC" <> wrote in message

    > "AdamC" <> wrote in message
    > > "Michael-NC" <> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > "Lloyd Jones" <@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    that's

    > > Those are still high temps! My Athlon XP 1800+ is running at 38 C and

    my
    > > case is at 28 C. Under load I never hit higher than 43 C. I just have
    > > really good cooling.
    > >
    > > AdamC

    > Those are _not_ high temps at all. The Athlon T-Bird that ran at 70C was
    > high. 52C is not hot.
    >
    > Besides, like I mentioned before, I have a XP2100 that has been running at
    > 68C for years.

    My XP2000 used to routinely lock at around 65C. Of course, there is also the
    level of accuracy of the average monitoring chip that must be considered
    when comparing temps to other systems, as well as the variances of
    sensitivity in individual chips.

    Thor, Jun 7, 2004