Cpu utilisation is high in cat 3550 EMI switch

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by senthilkumars@gmail.com, Aug 14, 2005.

  1. Guest

    hi,

    iam senthil,we are using L3 switch (cat 3550) for conneting servers and
    our lease line customers.past 3 days its cpu utilisation in process
    level is rapidly changing 40-100%.Traffic is normal as usual.so the ios
    upgraded from 12.1(13)EA1a to 12.1(22)EA4 . still we are facing same
    problem.In sh proc cpu showed us two process are high utilisation

    1. VUR_MGR bg proce 88%
    2. CEF process

    while i am giving clear arp-cache command utilisation comes to normal
    2% .After 10 min utilsation starts to flap.

    i read that VUR_MGR process is related to buffer management.if it is
    buffer problem then how can i fix it?..

    L3 switch has 24 fasteth port and 2 GBIC.one GBIC is connected to
    redundant path.

    pls assist me to sort out this issue bcos i didnt sleep past 3 days .

    bye
    senthilkumar.s

    , Aug 14, 2005

  2. Ivan Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > i read that VUR_MGR process is related to buffer management.if it is
    > buffer problem then how can i fix it?..

    I've seen some similar issues on 3550 that had really different causes.

    'show buffers' would help here to see if you are having a lot of buffer
    misses in local switching path or have a lot of process switched packets
    which create a buffer miss.

    It would help to see 'show run' (without passwords, of course) and 'show
    ip route'.

    --
    Ivan

    *** User rot13 to see my eMail address ***

    Ivan, Aug 14, 2005

  3. Guest

    Thanx Ivan...

    i revert back to you...