    and 512 MB ddr sdram. is it really using 100%. my computer is fairly new, a
    few months ago i finished building it. It has also been getting much slower.
    Any help? Thank you.

    Vince Slevin, Oct 27, 2003

  2. Vince Slevin

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "Vince Slevin" <> wrote in
    news:Gjinb.43188$Fm2.18966@attbi_s04:

    > I have Windows XP Home and lately the task manager has only been
    > showing
    > 100% CPU usage. It used always be much lower. I have an AMD Athlon XP
    > 1800+ and 512 MB ddr sdram. is it really using 100%. my computer is
    > fairly new, a few months ago i finished building it. It has also been
    > getting much slower. Any help? Thank you.

    What process is using the 100%? System Idle Process? That is normal, and
    means that actually 0% of your CPU is being used.

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk (actually me)
    email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)

    DeMoN LaG, Oct 28, 2003

  3. Vince Slevin

    Vince Slevin Guest

    System idle procees is using 60-70. What is system idle proccess? What could
    be the reasons for my cimputer slowing down so much? I have 512MB ddr33 ram
    and a 80gb 7200rpm hard rive, but only a AMD athlon xp 1800+.

    Vince Slevin, Oct 28, 2003
  4. Vince Slevin

    Thor Guest

    System idle process using the majority of CPU is *normal*. Worry about what
    is using the *other* 30-40%. Look through the list and pick out the big
    hitters, but don't pay attention to system idle process. When your system is
    doing less, that figure will always be higher. When your system is busy, the
    system idle process will be lower.

    Thor, Oct 28, 2003
  5. Vince Slevin

    mark mandell Guest

    "Vince Slevin" <> wrote in message
    > Hey,
    > I have Windows XP Home and lately the task manager has only been

    showing
    > 100% CPU usage. It used always be much lower. I have an AMD Athlon XP

    1800+
    > and 512 MB ddr sdram. is it really using 100%. my computer is fairly new,

    > few months ago i finished building it. It has also been getting much

    slower.
    > Any help? Thank you.

    Not that this is the likely cause but after entering Control-Alt-Delete to
    access the Task Manager, check both the Total and Peak Commit Charge figures
    relative to the Total Physical Memory shown. If the former ever exceed the
    latter, this would explain the slower performance you're getting but still
    might not be the real cause of it.

    mark mandell, Oct 28, 2003
  6. Vince Slevin

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "Vince Slevin" <> wrote in news:v3knb.44347
    $Tr4.93684@attbi_s03:

    > System idle procees is using 60-70. What is system idle proccess?

    System Idle Process is a thread that runs at the absolute lowest priority.
    It sends commands to the CPU to tell it to idle (a HLT command), so it
    generates less heat and uses less power (provided this is supported,
    otherwise it really doesn't /do/ anything). Basically, if 70% of the CPU
    time is going to system idle process, that means the CPU is only 30% in
    use. Have you checked that nothing dumb is running at startup? And have
    you checked for spyware (spybot search and destroy is my choice for spyware
    removal)? Also, don't say "only an XP1800+", as my machine is an 1800+
    with 512 megs of RAM and two 7200 RPM 30GB hard drives, and 1.533 ghz is
    plenty enough for most anything these days.

    DeMoN LaG, Oct 28, 2003
  7. Vince Slevin

    Vince Slevin Guest

    I have a spyware sweeper that I pay for so I know I don't have any.

    Vince Slevin, Oct 29, 2003
  8. Vince Slevin

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "Vince Slevin" <> wrote in news:YdInb.53305
    $Fm2.32392@attbi_s04:

    > I have a spyware sweeper that I pay for so I know I don't have any.

    The fact you pay for it means you are sure you don't have any spyware?
    SpyBot: Search and Destroy and AdAware are by far the best spyware
    detection removal tools available, and both are free.

    DeMoN LaG, Oct 29, 2003