    Also it happens when couple of programs are opened.

    OS is XP.

    TIA.
    Mikey, Sep 16, 2003

  2. Mikey

    Mikey Guest

    would knowing the h/w be any relevant?

    Mikey, Sep 17, 2003

  3. Mikey

    Stevo Guest

    Mikey wrote:

    > would knowing the h/w be any relevant?
    >

    >> A friend has asked me this question, to which I don't know the
    >> correct answer. However, I said that you guys here will.
    >>
    >> She's wondering what causes the CPU usage spikes? Even thought there
    >> is no programs running it happens at a steady rate. Is there a way
    >> of tracking what's going on or what the problem is.
    >>
    >> Also it happens when couple of programs are opened.
    >>
    >> OS is XP.
    >>
    >> TIA.

    Hardware, OS and installed applications particularly those that appear in
    the System Tray and/or Taskbar on start up, would all be relevant.

    --
    Stevo
    (pull the PIN to reply by e-mail)
    Stevo, Sep 17, 2003
  4. Mikey

    Boomer Guest

    Mikey said:

    > A friend has asked me this question, to which I don't know the
    > correct answer. However, I said that you guys here will.
    >
    > She's wondering what causes the CPU usage spikes? Even thought
    > there is no programs running it happens at a steady rate.

    There is something running. Windows XP. Moving my mouse makes my cpu
    usage meter rise.

    > Is
    > there a way of tracking what's going on or what the problem is.

    What problem?

    > Also it happens when couple of programs are opened.

    The programs are busy working. I don't have access to XP so I can't
    tell you where to check to see what is running in the background.

    Boomer, Sep 17, 2003
  5. Mikey

    DaveW Guest

    Open task manager to see what programs/services are running.
    Could be any backgroung task going from idle state to active state
    such as email program checking for new mail or virus program
    phoning home.

    DaveW, Sep 17, 2003
  6. Mikey

    Ava Keech Guest

    On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 22:55:13 +0000 (UTC), "Mikey" <> wrote:

    >She's wondering what causes the CPU usage spikes? Even thought there is no
    >programs running it happens at a steady rate. Is there a way of tracking
    >what's going on or what the problem is.

    Download this and you can see what is what:

    http://iarsn-downloads.swmirror.com/tskinf50.exe
    Ava Keech, Sep 17, 2003
  7. Mikey

    John Doe Guest

    "Mikey" <> wrote in message

    > A friend has asked me this question, to which I don't know the correct
    > answer. However, I said that you guys here will.
    >
    > She's wondering what causes the CPU usage spikes? Even thought there is no
    > programs running it happens at a steady rate. Is there a way of tracking
    > what's going on or what the problem is.
    >
    > Also it happens when couple of programs are opened.
    >
    > OS is XP.
    >
    > TIA.

    Abuse report filed with

    Reason: Setting X-No-Archive: Yes