    the CPU usage is more than 98%.
    Where and how do I check what are the causes?
    How do I correct this problem?
    Dave Low, Dec 30, 2003

  2. Dave Low

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Dave Low said:

    > Happy New Year to all.
    >
    > I have Pentium III 733MHz, 448MB RAM, Windows 98SE.
    >
    > Immediately after start-up, Norton System Doctor sends an alert message that
    > the CPU usage is more than 98%.
    > Where and how do I check what are the causes?
    > How do I correct this problem?

    It is probably the programs that are still loading after startup.
    For instance and for example, it can take Outpost anything around 1 minute to
    complete loading.
    Stop worrying if the usage always drops to "normal" levels some time after
    startup.
    Brian H¹©, Dec 30, 2003

  3. Dave Low

    Jay Guest

    "Dave Low" <> wrote in message
    > Happy New Year to all.
    >
    > I have Pentium III 733MHz, 448MB RAM, Windows 98SE.
    >
    > Immediately after start-up, Norton System Doctor sends an alert message

    that
    > the CPU usage is more than 98%.
    > Where and how do I check what are the causes?
    > How do I correct this problem?

    start--> run--> msconfig

    selective startup
    go to startup and uncheck a lot of things. I don't have the complete list
    of absolute necessities, but you can start by unchecking 3rd party apps like
    real player, yahoo mssger, msn mssger, quicktime.

    I'd also go to www.spywareguide.com and run the free online scan.

    good luck
    Jay, Dec 30, 2003
  4. Dave Low

    Kráftéé Guest

    Dave Low wrote:
    > Happy New Year to all.
    >
    > I have Pentium III 733MHz, 448MB RAM, Windows 98SE.
    >
    > Immediately after start-up, Norton System Doctor sends an alert
    > message that the CPU usage is more than 98%.
    > Where and how do I check what are the causes?
    > How do I correct this problem?

    Even though I do use Nortons & do recomend the product I would recomend you
    don't (that's right don't) run anything other than the firewall & antivirus
    automatically as they will eat up your resources. Run them regualarly or
    when required to check your system but not all the time....
    Kráftéé, Dec 30, 2003
  5. Dave Low

    ralph Guest

    On 12/30/03 12:37 PM, Kráftéé wrote:

    > Dave Low wrote:
    >
    >>Happy New Year to all.
    >>
    >>I have Pentium III 733MHz, 448MB RAM, Windows 98SE.
    >>
    >>Immediately after start-up, Norton System Doctor sends an alert
    >>message that the CPU usage is more than 98%.
    >>Where and how do I check what are the causes?
    >>How do I correct this problem?

    > Even though I do use Nortons & do recomend the product I would recomend you
    > don't (that's right don't) run anything other than the firewall & antivirus
    > automatically as they will eat up your resources. Run them regualarly or
    > when required to check your system but not all the time....

    I agree. Turn it all off. Run the AV on demand only and *NEVER* *NEVER*
    use OE or IE. Use Netscape or even better Mozilla and by a router with a
    built in firewall.
    ralph, Dec 30, 2003
  6. Dave Low

    Dave Low Guest

    "Jay" <> wrote in message

    > "Dave Low" <> wrote in message
    > > Happy New Year to all.
    > >
    > > I have Pentium III 733MHz, 448MB RAM, Windows 98SE.
    > >
    > > Immediately after start-up, Norton System Doctor sends an alert

    message
    > that
    > > the CPU usage is more than 98%.
    > > Where and how do I check what are the causes?
    > > How do I correct this problem?

    > start--> run--> msconfig
    >
    > selective startup
    > go to startup and uncheck a lot of things. I don't have the complete

    list
    > of absolute necessities, but you can start by unchecking 3rd party apps

    like
    > real player, yahoo mssger, msn mssger, quicktime.
    >
    > I'd also go to www.spywareguide.com and run the free online scan.
    >
    > good luck

    Thanks Jay
    I'll try this out.

    Dave
    Dave Low, Dec 30, 2003
  7. Dave Low

    Dave Low Guest

    > Dave Low said:
    >
    > > Happy New Year to all.
    > >
    > > I have Pentium III 733MHz, 448MB RAM, Windows 98SE.
    > >
    > > Immediately after start-up, Norton System Doctor sends an alert

    message that
    > > the CPU usage is more than 98%.
    > > Where and how do I check what are the causes?
    > > How do I correct this problem?

    > It is probably the programs that are still loading after startup.
    > For instance and for example, it can take Outpost anything around 1

    minute to
    > complete loading.
    > Stop worrying if the usage always drops to "normal" levels some time

    after
    > startup.

    Problem is it does not drop to "normal" even after a long time.
    Dave
    Dave Low, Dec 30, 2003
  8. Dave Low

    Dave Low Guest

    "Jay" <> wrote in message

    > "Dave Low" <> wrote in message
    > > Happy New Year to all.
    > >
    > > I have Pentium III 733MHz, 448MB RAM, Windows 98SE.
    > >
    > > Immediately after start-up, Norton System Doctor sends an alert

    message
    > that
    > > the CPU usage is more than 98%.
    > > Where and how do I check what are the causes?
    > > How do I correct this problem?

    > start--> run--> msconfig
    >
    > selective startup
    > go to startup and uncheck a lot of things. I don't have the complete

    list
    > of absolute necessities, but you can start by unchecking 3rd party apps

    like
    > real player, yahoo mssger, msn mssger, quicktime.
    >
    > I'd also go to www.spywareguide.com and run the free online scan.
    >
    > good luck

    Thanks Jay.
    I'll try it.
    Rgds, Dave
    Dave Low, Dec 30, 2003
  9. Dave Low

    HamMan Guest

    "ralph" <> wrote in message
    > On 12/30/03 12:37 PM, Kráftéé wrote:
    >
    > > Dave Low wrote:
    > >
    > >>Happy New Year to all.
    > >>
    > >>I have Pentium III 733MHz, 448MB RAM, Windows 98SE.
    > >>
    > >>Immediately after start-up, Norton System Doctor sends an alert
    > >>message that the CPU usage is more than 98%.
    > >>Where and how do I check what are the causes?
    > >>How do I correct this problem?

    > > Even though I do use Nortons & do recomend the product I would recomend

    you
    > > don't (that's right don't) run anything other than the firewall &

    antivirus
    > > automatically as they will eat up your resources. Run them regualarly

    or
    > > when required to check your system but not all the time....
    > >

    > I agree. Turn it all off. Run the AV on demand only and *NEVER* *NEVER*
    > use OE or IE. Use Netscape or even better Mozilla and by a router with a
    > built in firewall.

    Dont you think you might be taking that a little far?

    If the OP was using a 233 or something like that, then maybe, but it's a
    good idea to have a realtime AV to stop a virus spreading itself through
    dowlad directories etc. I know someone who lost 360Gb of warez that way!

    Norton system works however, is the spawn of satan and should be disabled /
    removed.

    hamman
    HamMan, Dec 30, 2003
  10. Dave Low

    Don C Guest

    "ralph" <> wrote in message

    > and *NEVER* *NEVER* use OE or IE. Use Netscape or even better Mozilla

    and by a router with a built in firewall.

    Give me a break. I've used OE and IE for many years, and have never had
    a virus or any significant problems. I have a software firewall (Kerio)
    and use an online virus checker and adaware frequently. CPU usage can be
    managed very well by controlling your start up programs.
    -Don
    Don C, Dec 30, 2003
  11. Dave Low

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Don C said:

    > "ralph" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> and *NEVER* *NEVER* use OE or IE. Use Netscape or even better Mozilla

    > and by a router with a built in firewall.
    >
    > Give me a break. I've used OE and IE for many years, and have never had
    > a virus or any significant problems. I have a software firewall (Kerio)
    > and use an online virus checker and adaware frequently. CPU usage can be
    > managed very well by controlling your start up programs.
    > -Don

    Or upgrading from 98 to 2000.
    My CPU usage with 98se was always very high even when very little was "running"
    on the system.
    Since moving on to 2000, I have 34 apps running in the background 24/7 and
    unless I am doing something specific, the CPU usage is nearly always at 0%
    Brian H¹©, Dec 30, 2003
  12. Dave Low

    Don C Guest

    > Don C said:
    >
    > > "ralph" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > >> and *NEVER* *NEVER* use OE or IE. Use Netscape or even better

    Mozilla
    > > and by a router with a built in firewall.
    > >
    > > Give me a break. I've used OE and IE for many years, and have never

    had
    > > a virus or any significant problems. I have a software firewall

    (Kerio)
    > > and use an online virus checker and adaware frequently. CPU usage

    can be
    > > managed very well by controlling your start up programs.
    > > -Don

    > Or upgrading from 98 to 2000.
    > My CPU usage with 98se was always very high even when very little was

    "running"
    > on the system.
    > Since moving on to 2000, I have 34 apps running in the background 24/7

    and
    > unless I am doing something specific, the CPU usage is nearly always

    at 0%

    That may be true, but I am running 98se, admittedly I've had to apply a
    LOT of tweaks to get to this point, but it is running flawlessly now.
    Don C, Dec 30, 2003
  13. Dave Low

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Have you tried testing your system at www.pcpitstop.com ?
    Brian H¹©, Dec 31, 2003
  14. Dave Low

    Don C Guest

    > Don C said:
    >
    > > "Brian H¹©" <> wrote in message

    > > Mozilla

    never had

    (Kerio)

    can be

    > >> Or upgrading from 98 to 2000.
    > >> My CPU usage with 98se was always very high even when very little

    was
    > >> "running" on the system.
    > >> Since moving on to 2000, I have 34 apps running in the background

    24/7 and
    > >> unless I am doing something specific, the CPU usage is nearly

    always at 0%

    > > That may be true, but I am running 98se, admittedly I've had to

    apply a
    > > LOT of tweaks to get to this point, but it is running flawlessly

    now.

    > Have you tried testing your system at www.pcpitstop.com ?

    No, I just clicked on your link to check it out, but I'm leery about
    using a site like this that I know nothing about without thoroughly
    investigating it first. Call me paranoid. Also, I'm not having any
    problems so.....
    Don C, Dec 31, 2003
  15. Dave Low

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Don C said:

    > "Brian H¹©" <> wrote in message
    >> Don C said:
    >>
    >>> "Brian H¹©" <> wrote in message

    >>> Mozilla

    >>> That may be true, but I am running 98se, admittedly I've had to apply a
    >>> LOT of tweaks to get to this point, but it is running flawlessly now.

    >> Have you tried testing your system at www.pcpitstop.com ?
    >>

    > No, I just clicked on your link to check it out, but I'm leery about
    > using a site like this that I know nothing about without thoroughly
    > investigating it first. Call me paranoid. Also, I'm not having any
    > problems so.....

    Trust me, you will like the site.
    Best of all, in the 3 years I have been using their services, I have never
    received any spam.

    As for tweaks, I got this thing "tweaked" using pcpitstop and I only have one
    tweak functioning with X-teq.
    Brian H¹©, Dec 31, 2003
  16. Dave Low

    ralph Guest

    On 12/30/03 6:50 PM, Don C wrote:

    > "Brian H¹©" <-vine.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
    >
    >>Don C said:
    >>

    >>>"Brian H¹©" <> wrote in message

    >>>Mozilla

    > never had

    > (Kerio)

    > can be

    > was

    > 24/7 and

    > always at 0%
    >

    >>>That may be true, but I am running 98se, admittedly I've had to

    > apply a
    >
    >>>LOT of tweaks to get to this point, but it is running flawlessly

    > now.
    >
    >>Have you tried testing your system at www.pcpitstop.com ?
    >>

    > No, I just clicked on your link to check it out, but I'm leery about
    > using a site like this that I know nothing about without thoroughly
    > investigating it first. Call me paranoid. Also, I'm not having any
    > problems so.....

    Good idea but it's harmless. It will just rate your system as slow so
    they can sell you their software.
    ralph, Dec 31, 2003
  17. Dave Low

    Brian H¹© Guest

    ralph said:

    (snip)

    >>> Have you tried testing your system at www.pcpitstop.com ?
    >>>

    >> No, I just clicked on your link to check it out, but I'm leery about
    >> using a site like this that I know nothing about without thoroughly
    >> investigating it first. Call me paranoid. Also, I'm not having any
    >> problems so.....
    >>

    > Good idea but it's harmless. It will just rate your system as slow so
    > they can sell you their software.

    You talk total crap at times, this being one of those time.

    --
    This message has been ROT-13 encrypted twice for increased security
    Brian H¹©, Dec 31, 2003
  18. Dave Low

    ralph Guest

    On 12/30/03 7:23 PM, Brian H¹© wrote:
    > ralph said:
    >
    > (snip)

    >>>No, I just clicked on your link to check it out, but I'm leery about
    >>>using a site like this that I know nothing about without thoroughly
    >>>investigating it first. Call me paranoid. Also, I'm not having any
    >>>problems so.....
    >>>

    >>Good idea but it's harmless. It will just rate your system as slow so
    >>they can sell you their software.

    > You talk total crap at times, this being one of those time.

    Now Brian be *nice*. Lots of opinions here. If *you* want to spend your
    money then go for it.
    ralph, Dec 31, 2003
  19. Dave Low

    Brian H¹© Guest

    ralph said:

    > On 12/30/03 7:23 PM, Brian H¹© wrote:
    >> ralph said:
    >>
    >> (snip)

    >>> Good idea but it's harmless. It will just rate your system as slow so
    >>> they can sell you their software.

    >> You talk total crap at times, this being one of those time.
    >>

    > Now Brian be *nice*. Lots of opinions here. If *you* want to spend your
    > money then go for it.

    Spend what money?
    pcpitstop haven't taken a penny from me, their test is free and the results are
    not only accurate, but the changes that can be make to your system work bloody
    brilliantly.
    Brian H¹©, Dec 31, 2003
  20. Dave Low

    ralph Guest

    On 12/30/03 8:35 PM, Brian H¹© wrote:

    > ralph said:
    >

    >>On 12/30/03 7:23 PM, Brian H¹© wrote:
    >>
    >>>ralph said:
    >>>
    >>>(snip)

    >>>You talk total crap at times, this being one of those time.
    >>>

    >>Now Brian be *nice*. Lots of opinions here. If *you* want to spend your
    >>money then go for it.

    > Spend what money?
    > pcpitstop haven't taken a penny from me, their test is free and the results are
    > not only accurate, but the changes that can be make to your system work bloody
    > brilliantly.

    After I ran the test it was trying to sell me PC Performance software. I
    only bought the PitShop t-shirt and thong though.
    ralph, Dec 31, 2003